Drinking and Peeing frequently

Old March 23rd 05, 01:10 PM
NP

Default Drinking and Peeing frequently

Hi -

My 4 yrs old Chocolate Lab has been drinking and peeing frequently for
the past 3 weeks. I got him about a month ago from the Shelter in
Indiana. First week, I didn't notice the problem. I crate him whenever
I can't supervise him during the first week. He slept in the crate and
didn't soil his crate. After the first week, I started to let him out
of the crate. He can run free in the house. I take him out to do his
business every 3-4 hours. He started having accidents in the house once
every day for 3 days. One time, I just took him out and he peed. Less
than an hour after he went out, he peed in the house. Then, I noticed
that he drinks more water and pee more frequently. Sometime, he pees
3-4 times in an hour. He didn't sleep thorough the night. He wake me up
at least 2-3 times to go out every night. I thouht he might have UTI. I
took his urine sample and went to see the vet. The vet also took his
blood for CBC profile. The result come back yesterday. He has high
alkaline phosphatase, value 177. The vet said normal value is 5-131.
There is no bacteria or crystal found in his urine, but slightly low
specific gravity of urine. The vet ruled out UTI and Diabetes. He is
thinking Cushing Disease, Adrenal grand problem, or Liver disease.
Other than drinking and peeing frequently, he acts like normal health
dog, sometime hyperactive. The vet suggested either wait for a couple
week, then recheck his AP value. Or drop him off for the special test
to rule out Cushing disease. I chose to wait for a couple of week and
rerun CBC profile. I just got him about a month ago. There are many
changes happening in his life. I just gradually switched his food from
SD Chicken flavor to Innova. Could the food has anything to do with
this ? Does anyone have any experience with Cushing Disease ? Can it be
treated ?

I think it's my luck. This is my second dog that I adopted from
shelters. The first one was 7 yrs old golden retriever. He's been with
me for a little over a year. He had Lymphoma. He died 3 months after
gone through chemo therapy. I still can't get over the loss. Here is
another sick dog. I don't want to loose another dog. It's only been a
month. I already feel attached to the dog. Please help!!!

Old March 23rd 05, 04:13 PM
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC

Hi,
You said he had a low specific gravity.
Please do some research on diabetes INSIPIDUS...this is NOT the sugar
diabetes.

We have had 2 cockers in rescue with this disorder.
The best way to diagnose DI is to give a dose of Desmopressin and check the
specific gravity again.
If he does not have it, it won't change, if he does, it will rise.

If he has it and you want to join a Yahoo group, I moderate the Diabetes
Insipidus Dog yahoogroup.

Good Luck.

--
Carol J
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC
oups.com...

Old March 23rd 05, 04:25 PM
buglady

"NP" wrote in message
oups.com...
I took his urine sample and went to see the vet. The vet also took his
blood for CBC profile. The result come back yesterday. He has high
alkaline phosphatase, value 177. The vet said normal value is 5-131.
There is no bacteria or crystal found in his urine, but slightly low
specific gravity of urine. The vet ruled out UTI and Diabetes. He is
thinking Cushing Disease, Adrenal grand problem, or Liver disease.

..........he ought to be thinking Leptospirosis also. The ALP isn't
hideously high. Was this the only out of range value? And was the
bloodwork done after a 12 hour fast? The dog can be tested for lepto, but
sometimes it's too early to get a positive reading - dog hasn't made
antibodies yet.

The vet suggested either wait for a couple
week, then recheck his AP value.

........well, maybe, but if this dog crashes get him in immediately
(emergency vet) - at that point it's probably either Addison's or Lepto,
both of which need tending to ASAP. I'd make sure the dog was fasted for
the next round of BW and take in a first pee of the morning for urinalysis
also - best to check up on those kidneys.

Or drop him off for the special test
to rule out Cushing disease.

........hmmm, don't know why he's focused on Cushings rather than Addison's.
I suppose it's the slight increase in the ALP, though that could be nothing.
It's the hyperactivity that makes me think of Addison's. instead. Is the dog
overweight?

Does anyone have any experience with Cushing Disease ? Can it be
treated ?

........yes, so can Addison's and Lepto.

I think it's my luck. This is my second dog that I adopted from
shelters. The first one was 7 yrs old golden retriever. He's been with
me for a little over a year. He had Lymphoma. He died 3 months after
gone through chemo therapy. I still can't get over the loss. Here is
another sick dog.

........for some reason the Univeverse is sending you pups that need help. I
honor you for your help.

buglady
take out the dog before replying