lifting his leg

Old March 24th 05, 07:50 PM
MauiJNP

Default lifting his leg

Ok, I have a question about Maui's behavior and I was hoping to get some
help. Yesterday, I saw Maui lift his leg to pee for the first time (he
usually squats). The problem is that it was to pee on the corner of the
couch. I was completely shocked. He has never shown this type of behavior
before. I am guessing that it was to mark his territory. Does this seem
correct? Anyway, today he tried the exact same thing again. This time, I
caught him really soon after he started so only a drop or two of pee got
out. I put him outside immediately. So, is this marking? If so, what
causes that? There are no other dogs in the house to compete with as far as
territory. He is not neutered and almost 9 months old. Would neutering him
cause this marking to go away or lessen? What other things can be done to
reduces those marking urges? Thanks a ton for any help. It is greatly
appreciated. Take care.

Old March 24th 05, 07:55 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:50:14 -0500, "MauiJNP" wrote:

. The problem is that it was to pee on the corner of the
couch. I was completely shocked. He has never shown this type of behavior
before. I am guessing that it was to mark his territory. Does this seem
correct?

Yep.

Anyway, today he tried the exact same thing again. This time, I
caught him really soon after he started so only a drop or two of pee got
out. I put him outside immediately. So, is this marking?

Sure seems like it. Besides getting him out, did you tell him it was
WRONG?

He is not neutered and almost 9 months old.

Why the hell not?

Would neutering him
cause this marking to go away or lessen?

It could go away, it could lessen, and training along with it is
imperative if you want it to go away. The only dog I kept intact
was intact until 8.5 years and never marked indoors, not even the
first time he had a real Christmas tree. he marked plenty outdoors.
It's a bit matter of what they think of the owner's role in their
life.

What other things can be done to
reduces those marking urges? Thanks a ton for any help. It is greatly
appreciated. Take care.

Train, train, train, train and then train some more. Neuter him.
You can try "Comfort Zone" which helps some and not others, or a
"belly band", but IMO training is the key, not diapers.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old March 24th 05, 08:39 PM
MauiJNP

"Janet B" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:50:14 -0500, "MauiJNP" wrote:

. The problem is that it was to pee on the corner of the
couch. I was completely shocked. He has never shown this type of
behavior
before. I am guessing that it was to mark his territory. Does this seem
correct?

Yep.

Anyway, today he tried the exact same thing again. This time, I
caught him really soon after he started so only a drop or two of pee got
out. I put him outside immediately. So, is this marking?

Sure seems like it. Besides getting him out, did you tell him it was
WRONG?

I said "Maui no" and picked him up to carry him outside. Then I said "pee
out here" when we were outside.

He is not neutered and almost 9 months old.

Why the hell not?

it was scheduled and I had to cancel and I just never rescheduled. I am not
sure of the pros and cons so I wanted to research it more and then it I
decided to do it, I wanted to research the methods more too (how different
places sedate the dog).

Would neutering him
cause this marking to go away or lessen?

It could go away, it could lessen, and training along with it is
imperative if you want it to go away. The only dog I kept intact
was intact until 8.5 years and never marked indoors, not even the
first time he had a real Christmas tree. he marked plenty outdoors.

It's a bit matter of what they think of the owner's role in their
life.

I don't understand what you were saying here. Can you elaborate?

What other things can be done to
reduces those marking urges? Thanks a ton for any help. It is greatly
appreciated. Take care.

Train, train, train, train and then train some more.

what training is specific to marking? He is in obedience classes and is
doing excellant. As for housebreaking, this was his first mistake in the
house in months and the first time I saw marking at all (in or out).

Old March 24th 05, 08:49 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:39:54 -0500, "MauiJNP" wrote:

It's a bit matter of what they think of the owner's role in their
life.

I don't understand what you were saying here. Can you elaborate?

He doesn't respect you.

Old March 24th 05, 09:15 PM
MauiJNP

"Janet B" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:39:54 -0500, "MauiJNP" wrote:

It's a bit matter of what they think of the owner's role in their
life.

I don't understand what you were saying here. Can you elaborate?

He doesn't respect you.

he marks because he doesn't respect me? no offense but that is total bull,
at least in this particular case.

Old March 24th 05, 09:23 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:15:01 -0500, "MauiJNP" wrote:

he marks because he doesn't respect me? no offense but that is total bull,
at least in this particular case.

marking is merely ONE of his behaviors that you've posted about, that
tell me that he doesn't respect you.

Marking is a housebreaking issue with a twist. Training, training,
training, training.........

Old March 24th 05, 09:32 PM
culprit

"MauiJNP" wrote in message

he marks because he doesn't respect me? no offense but that is total
bull, at least in this particular case.

another way to say it is that he's marking his territory because he either
thinks he's in charge, or he wants to be in charge. he's testing you to see
if you let him be the boss.

so let him know that you will *not* let him be the boss. practicing
obedience whenever possible is a good way to reinforce his place in your
pack. for example, if he wants out, tell him sit and wait at the door, then
let him out. if he wants attention, don't give it to him until he sits or
lies down (on command, of course). at dinner time, put him in a down stay,
then put the food down, *then* release him to eat. do these exercises every
time he wants something. never give him anything for free.

my dogs learned this quickly, and now use a sit to say, "please let me
do/have that", a down to say, "pretty please", and a sit, down, sit, paw to
say, "i'm dying here, come on, give in". so i just have to find them new
things to do. :-)

-kelly

Old March 24th 05, 09:48 PM
montana wildhack

On 2005-03-24 14:39:54 -0500, "MauiJNP" said:

As for housebreaking, this was his first mistake in the house in months
and the first time I saw marking at all (in or out).

This was not a housebreaking "mistake". Marking has little to do with
housebreaking. It's a separate behavior. If you continue to allow him
the opportunity to mark, neutering will not help. He will continue to

Old March 24th 05, 09:52 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:48:11 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

This was not a housebreaking "mistake". Marking has little to do with
housebreaking. It's a separate behavior

I called it housebreaking issue with a twist. If he thinks he can do
this under any circumstances, it IS a housebreaking issue at some
level. It's not a lack of ability to control his bladder though, thus
no accident - it's pretty purposeful and disrespectful.

Old March 24th 05, 10:47 PM
Rocky

MauiJNP said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

He doesn't respect you.

he marks because he doesn't respect me? no offense but
that is total bull, at least in this particular case.

Whether he's testing boundaries or marking them, yes - it shows
disrepect toward you. He's 9 months old, so this is just the
beginning. Good general training will help you communicate and
cement your roles.