Canine cutaneous histiocytoma (button tumor)

Old March 25th 05, 02:14 AM
Oscar The Grouch

Default Canine cutaneous histiocytoma (button tumor)

Hello,

I have self-diagnosed the 'button tumor' on the side of her neck. It is red
(bleeding a little), raw, ozing white mucus...I have cut away the fur around
it, so it will not become matted into it again. I have read that it usually
occurs in young dogs, but can develop in old dogs. Also that it is benign,
and possibly would go away on its own, although it can be surgically
removed, however it may grow back.

My question is, has anyone encounter this kind of tumor without seeking
medical treatment because it did go away on its own or with treatment at
home. The reason for asking is the next time my beloved dog is to go to the
vet it is because she will be put down. I just can't put her through the
stress of even minor surgery.

She has severe cateracts, 80% deaf, epidermal cyst on her front paw plus a
couple other fatty bumps on her chest, arthritis in her hips causing her to
walk stiff legged, teeth and gums are not the best anymore - bad breath, she
also took a couple 'strokes' last year causing her to walk sideways,
personality change with her age, urinating and deficating in the night
because she can't hold it for those eight hours. I know she is in
discomfort because of her age ...although from my observation she is not in
pain. I just don't want this button tumor to be made into the final
decision if it doesn't have to be. Although if it is, it is...I just want
to make the best decision, not an emotional decsion....if that make sense.

Thank you for your reply in advance
Bears' Owner

Old March 26th 05, 08:19 PM
Spot

If she can't withstand the surgery then I would do the best to make her
comfortable. Dogs are very good about not showing pain unless it gets bad.
I don't think I would put her down just yet but I definitely would ask the
vet about some pain medication for the arthritis. If she is stiff legged
and slower it's more than likely caused from painful arthritis. You may
even find that once the pain is under control that her personality may go
back to what it was before.

My dog Barney had bad arthritis for the last 5 years and one indication that
a change needed made in his medication was that his personality would become
grumpy and snappy. As soon as we would adjust the medication to make him
comfortable he would go back to his happy self.

I know it's awful coming face to face with the fact that someday soon you
may have to make that decision but for now it sounds like keeping her
comfortable is the best thing. As long as she is eating, getting around ok
and the tail is still wagging then you are doing everything right.

Celeste

. ..