approximate dobermans?

Old March 25th 05, 04:12 PM
Pete

Default approximate dobermans?

"Ben Rockney" wrote in message

stagga lee wrote:
I realize that what I am asking will border on heresy for most doberman
lovers, including myself, but what I want to know is what breeds are

there
that most resemble the doberman in appearance, affection, temperament,
size, intelligence, protectiveness, etc.?

I love dobermans, but my wife doesn't.

I am wondering if there is a similar breed out there that I am just

overlooking.

Please help me.......

A rottie?

Maybe a GSD?

Old March 25th 05, 06:16 PM
Robin Nuttall

stagga lee wrote:

I realize that what I am asking will border on heresy for most doberman
lovers, including myself, but what I want to know is what breeds are

there

that most resemble the doberman in appearance, affection, temperament,
size, intelligence, protectiveness, etc.?

I love dobermans, but my wife doesn't.

I am wondering if there is a similar breed out there that I am just

overlooking.

Please help me.......

A rottie?

Maybe a GSD?

No. GSDs are not like Dobermans at all. GSDs are very serious
dogs--dobermans are not. I'd say probably the breed most like Dobes in
general temperament are Malinois. They have the quickness of the
dobe--GSDs don't (not slamming GSDs but they are very different). But
Mals, like GSDs, are herding breed dogs first. No other breed was
specifically bred only to guard man, so it's sort of hard to find dogs
that are really similar in temperament. A really good Rottweiler, while
not as quick, can also be a good "alternate," but good ones are
extremely difficult to find.

Old March 25th 05, 06:26 PM
culprit

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

No. GSDs are not like Dobermans at all. GSDs are very serious
dogs--dobermans are not. I'd say probably the breed most like Dobes in
general temperament are Malinois. They have the quickness of the
dobe--GSDs don't (not slamming GSDs but they are very different). But
Mals, like GSDs, are herding breed dogs first. No other breed was
specifically bred only to guard man, so it's sort of hard to find dogs
that are really similar in temperament. A really good Rottweiler, while
not as quick, can also be a good "alternate," but good ones are extremely
difficult to find.

out of curiosity... are boxers and Dobermans anything alike? i know that
they have a similar play style, but i always thought of dobes as more
serious than boxers. what do you think?

-kelly

Old March 25th 05, 09:23 PM
Robin Nuttall

culprit wrote:

out of curiosity... are boxers and Dobermans anything alike? i know that
they have a similar play style, but i always thought of dobes as more
serious than boxers. what do you think?

Actually dobes don't really have that boxer play style, or at least none
of the ones I've known have had it. But beyond that I don't really know.
I don't "know" any boxers well enough to be able to speculate about
similarities in temperament, but I'll say I don't know many dobe people
that go to Boxers or vice-versa.

Old March 25th 05, 10:51 PM
culprit

Actually dobes don't really have that boxer play style, or at least none
of the ones I've known have had it. But beyond that I don't really know. I
don't "know" any boxers well enough to be able to speculate about
similarities in temperament, but I'll say I don't know many dobe people
that go to Boxers or vice-versa.

maybe play enthusiasm would be a better description. :-) there are
basically four breeds of dog that can keep up with Lola. Dobes, Boxers,
American Bulldogs, and the other pit bull breeds.

Dobes and Boxers are both on my "i want" list, but i don't think either one
will happen any time soon.

-kelly

Old March 26th 05, 02:14 AM

is anybody going to answer Pete about what a GSD is??

Old March 28th 05, 04:58 AM
Jeff

My wife was the same way. Didnt like doberman's, mom was bit when she was a
kid. Appearance is alerting, but she just didnt have the one on one
companionship of a doberman. Brought her to see one, turned out she loved
the look and gait of her, the curiosity of the eyes, the stature and
elegance of the breed.
When we first got her home, she cried for 2 days, she wont listen to me, we
have to bring her back. After that, clear sailing! She will be a doberman
lover forever with me!

another breed you might want to consider that carries the same elegance, and
has the same mystique and rarity is the Grey Ghost Weimariner! another
beautiful breed. Good luck and let us know what you choose...reply by email
to me if you like!

Old March 28th 05, 03:34 PM
Robin Nuttall

Jeff wrote:

another breed you might want to consider that carries the same elegance, and
has the same mystique and rarity is the Grey Ghost Weimariner! another
beautiful breed. Good luck and let us know what you choose...reply by email
to me if you like!

Beautiful, yes. Same temperament or even similar to Dobermans--no. Not
at all. I know quite a few through our training building, and I have yet
to meet a sane one. Well, I take that back. I've met one. Most are
loopy, buggy, skitzy, however you want to call it. But I certainly
wouldn't call them a normal family dog for most people.