Paw problem - pesticide?

Old March 27th 05, 03:11 PM
Lynda

Default Paw problem - pesticide?

I took Jake out for a long walk by the river today, nothing untoward,
the only thing he did slightly different was run like crazy in a newly
ploughed field - its like sand, he seems to like how it feels.

When we got home, about half an hour later, he started acting very
strange. Almost throwing himself to the ground and leaping around,
wanted to be in, out, up, down. The worry was how he was throwing
himself around as if he could not get comfy.

Then he started to "dig" anything he could - the sofa, his crate, the
floor, his kennel. And he was licking his paws like mad, chewing at
them, almost like he could rip them off. And very unhappy in himself.

I checked his whole body, no sign of any pain or wincing. By process
of elimintion we decided he had something on his paws that was burning
or itching. We put him in the bath and really soaped his paws. Then we
took him onto the local field which luckily was very wet. By the time
we had got back he was fine, though very tired and a bit subdued.

He's been OK for a few hours now so it looks like all's well - the
only thing I can put this down to is maybe he picked something up in
the field? Some pesticide or similar? There's nothing different on the
track by the river, the field was the only "different" thing he did.

Has anyone experienced similar or got any ideas?

Lynda
Old March 28th 05, 05:43 PM
Shannon

If the field was newly ploughed, the problem may be fertilizer, rather than
pesticide. It can burn in certain concentrations.

-Shannon ( and Guinness)