Dog runs away!

Old March 29th 05, 11:46 PM
Banks2070

Default Dog runs away!

Hi all,
We have a mut,..possibly border collie, shephard, rot mix?? Who knows. He's
1 -1.5 years old, tall and lanky with lots of energy. Does well on a leash,
knows some commands like stay (do not come outside) laydown, and sit. Still
learning all of these though. But when the door is open and given the
chance, the dog bolts out the door and runs the neighborhood and won't come
to you. When he does come home, it's on his terms. He's done this three
times and each time is out less than 5 minutes but is uncatchable. What
method can we use to train him? Do we punish him when he returns??
Allen and Bear

#1 - is he neutered?

Work with a trainer - progressive weaning of the leash, step by step,
is needed. Do NOT chase him, do NOT punish him when he returns (a
sure way that he won't want to).

Running AWAY from the dog, calling in a HAPPY voice (no "bear - get
your butt over here") can work wonders. Make yourself as small as
possible - bend down, even lie down on the ground.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old March 30th 05, 03:18 AM
buzzsaw

My Rhodesian Ridgeback had a similar behavior ... when he did not want to
come in, he looked at me like "are you gonna catch me?".

At first I used treats or ringing the door bell from the front door to get
him to think someone was home. He figured that out quick.

What I did was always walk slowly towards him and in a calm happy voice ask
"what are you doing? Whats out here"? Then I would bend down to my knees
and I didnt appear threating or anything and say "don't you love me?" and he
would slowly come right over at which point I gave him a kiss and rub and
then led him in.

As he got older ... I could just say "time for work" and he was in right
away.