Sheltie very nervous

Old March 30th 05, 03:54 AM
Kayla

Default Sheltie very nervous

My 11 month old sheltie has become very nervous. Taking her on the
leash is a nightmare. She has been to obedience classes and was doing
well but during the winter I didn't get out walking with her. She got
lots of exercise on the farm property. Tonight as I was walking her on
the leash we came up to kids playing street hockey and she freaked and
fought the leash. The other night she was outside doing her last potty
run and I just went in for a minute and when I came out she was gone.
After searching we found her a long way from the house at the barn
very scared. There was no barking during those few moments when I was
not with her so I have no idea whether she chased a bunny or something
chased her. I'm thinking that whatever happened has made her more
nervous than before. I know she has not been mistreated at any time.
I realize shelties can be somewhat timid but our last two were quite
outgoing and sociable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lori
Old April 2nd 05, 01:46 PM
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:54:31 GMT, Kayla wrote:

My 11 month old sheltie has become very nervous. Taking her on the
leash is a nightmare. ... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've been hoping someone with more wisdom would comment on your
situation. I don't have and great advice, but I do think you cited part
of the problem: a change in what the dog was exposed to, during the
winter.

Most of us go through life thinking that a dog's personality is shaped
by what it has experienced, what has been done to it. But someone
pointed out to me that their personality is also shaped by what they
have not experienced, but what hasn't been done to/for them.

At this point, it seems like anyone's guess as to why your dog went to
the barn--and stayed there. I do wonder if there is any reason why he
might consider the barn a refuge. If not, I think there might be an
increased chance that he chased something. Maybe the chase ended in a
safe place, or in a place so frightening that it immobilized him. I can
only guess.

Yes, some Shelties are timid. Sheltie Laddy was turned in as a bite
case, but [because of my track record] the shelter allowed me to adopt
him. That was in September '04. He now sleeps next to me, comes when
called and runs away from only 25% of sounds. Considering that it took a
month to get him to enter the same room as me and Sheltie Angus, I think
Laddy has made remarkable progress. He's even beginning to wag his tail
at me. That's a real treat from a dog that used to just stand there.

It recently occurred to me that Laddy progress had reached a standstill.
Since I couldn't be any more gentle, I decided to go the other way. I
massage him harder, stand up with him more often {he's only 16 pounds}
and pat him on the butt more forcefully. It is working: he has figured
out that rough can be fun and certainly doesn't always mean danger. We
even have little tugs of war. I allow him to win some of them; so, it
will build his self confidence.

FYI, Laddy is not a puppy, but has never shown the slightest sign of
aggression. His partner, Angus, is now 14 months and twice the size.
When we're outside they chase each other and Laddy is nearly fearless!
He can easily out run Angus. My point is that fear is different, in
different setting. Laddy still recoils from strangers--and from me :-(

My non-profession recommendation is to continue taking your dog for
walks. Gradual and moderate exposure to frightening things will enable
him to decide that those things aren't so frightening after all. And in
the meantime, rough house a little, play games he can win, praise him
for any show of bravado.

I hope this helps. Maybe it will open a door for you.

Michael

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
Old April 4th 05, 08:52 PM
Kayla

You did have

Your response is very much appreciated Michael.

At this point, it seems like anyone's guess as to why your dog went to
the barn--and stayed there.

We figured out that she went to the barn because that is the way to
go. Any animals that pass by the house are usually heading in that
direction. Going the other way is right onto a street. I think the
chase ended in a safe place for her thank goodness. We found her
within minutes. She goes back to the barn every day to "help" my
husband with feeding the cattle although she is more interested in
what she can find to eat along the way. ;-(

Sounds like Sheltie Laddy and Angus have found a very good home.

My non-profession recommendation is to continue taking your dog for
walks. Gradual and moderate exposure to frightening things will enable
him to decide that those things aren't so frightening after all.

Don't call it your non-professional recommendation. ;-)
It sounds very good to me. I have been taking her for runs in the
fields to get her used to wide open spaces and to come when I call
which has always been a problem and she is doing better. I think it's
so easy to drop off on exercising and training a dog after a while so
I need to keep reminding myself to get out there.

I signed Chelsea up for Agility classes today so hopefully in May
everything will be ready to go weather wise. It's still snowing here.
She has lots of energy to burn.

Thanks for you help.
Lori