Sad Dog when we leave the house

Old November 25th 03, 03:21 AM
Mr B

Default Sad Dog when we leave the house

Howdy,

Looking for suggestions on what we can try for this situation.

We have a 2 year old Golden Retriever (Belle) that we've had for about a year. My wife and I both
worked fulltime for a while and she didn't have any problems with us being gone all day. Then I
worked from home for about 8 months so she got used to me being there. I am now working outside the
house fulltime again. My wife leaves the house after I do and when Belle sees her getting ready to
go, she used to come say goodbye and we'd give her some treats in a Kong to keep her busy for a few
minutes.

Now when my wife gets ready, Belle goes and lays down in a corner in another room. She is obviously
feeling very lonely or neglected or something. We try to play with her every evening and on
weekends but we have to go to work so there's not much we can do about that.

We have thought about getting another dog so they could keep each other company, but Belle is such a
People-Dog (couldn't care less about most other dogs) that we're not even sure that would have any
affect at all.

Anyone have any suggestions on anything we can try so we aren't treated to a very sad looking dog
every time we leave the house?

Thanks.