Wont "go" outdoors. aarrgghh!!

Old March 30th 05, 07:52 PM
bobby davies

Default Wont "go" outdoors. aarrgghh!!

Hi All,
I'm new to the group and would really appreciate some
help.....pleeeeaaassssseeeee!!
We have an Irish soft coated wheaten terrier. She will be 8 months old on
1st April. We got her two months ago from her breeder. She has not once,
since we got her, gone to the loo outdoors. She seems to think the utility
room is her bathroom. We have a male springer (6yrs old) who performs
outdoors and when she sees this she goes over and has a sniff, puts her nose
in the air as if disgusted and strutts off. We live beside a busy road and
she has gotten through the ditch once so she's been on aan extendable lead
when taken outdoors ever since. We all carry biscuits and treats in our
pockets for when she does "perform" outside, but we've not had the chance to
give them to her. My wife takes her out first thing in the morning, and
three or four times throughout the day then she's out again twice at night.
She's given out to when she goes indoors and is immediatly put on the lead
and taken outside, but it seems all this is to no avail. I've walked her
round the gardens for over an hour and a half only to have her come inside
and do her business straight away. Im coming to the end of my tether, I've
tried everything and would appreciate any tips, advise or hints anyone can
give me.

TIA
Bob

Old April 1st 05, 02:39 AM
Melissa

You might want to read the "why is my dog a dork" post that I started.
Also, try a clicker or anything else that you think might motivate her.
Keep her on a leash INDOORS (so that she can't GET to the utility room) and
every hour, take her outside. Put a word to it. Take her out WITH the other
dog, and praise HIM lavishly (use a keyword like "pee" or "poo") and IGNORE
her completely unless she does something you like (ie goes to the bathroom).
Click/praise/treat LAVISHLY when she does do it. Use the keyword ALOT.
Also make sure you buy some special cleaners to clean up the room where she
is messing. Bleach/ammonia or things like that will make the dog WANT to go
there again, not get rid of the smell. If she is NOT spayed, consider
getting her spayed (unless she is going to be bred, obviously).
If there is anything else you might want to ask, feel free to email me
offline.

Good luck.
Melissa

Old April 1st 05, 04:17 PM
emalloy

Ditto all that but I would also add that, for a week at least, crate
the dog at all times other than being outside to go, repeating the
"word" over and over and then saying "good 'word'" when it does happen.
(I have one word for poo and another for pee). The dog gets 15
minutes of play time after the successful elimiation outdoors and then
back in the crate. If your dog is crate-trained and you commit to this
type of rigidity, your dog will learn.

....and add "a dog that hasn't done his duty outside is a loaded gun."
I know an hour and a half is a long time but the alternative 15 or so
years of cleaning up dog **** in your home, is longer.