Rough and runny nose

Old March 31st 05, 01:30 AM
Alpha One

Default Rough and runny nose

My dog has a very rough nose and runs a little. It started 4 days ago with
some fever. I took the dog to the vet and he gave her a penicillin shot plus
penicillin pills to take one twice a day. The dog is active and looks
healthy but the nose didn't get any better. Any one know what this may be?
The vet didn't explain anything, but he said it wasn't distemper. She does
not have the distemper shot.

Tony

Old March 31st 05, 01:56 AM
Sharon too

My dog has a very rough nose and runs a little. It started 4 days ago with
some fever. I took the dog to the vet and he gave her a penicillin shot
plus penicillin pills to take one twice a day. The dog is active and looks
healthy but the nose didn't get any better. Any one know what this may be?
The vet didn't explain anything, but he said it wasn't distemper. She does
not have the distemper shot.

(I'm not a vet)

Dogs get upper respiratory viruses. If this is what it is then time will
clear it up. The antibiotics should help to keep it from becoming bacterial.

Could also be environmental allergies which could start at any age. I would
say to keep an eye on the symptoms and call the vet back if they don't clear
up in another 5 days or so or if the symptoms get worse. As usual watch for
changes in bathrom habits, eating/drinking habits as well as behavior. Any
sudden changes should be noted to the vet as a concern during this time.

-Sharon