Amateur Breeding

Old April 1st 05, 06:33 AM

Default Amateur Breeding

Since I got such a kind response (thanks Handsome Jack!)to my last
question, I thought I'd venture one more before going away. :-)

My son, who is a freshman in high school, is working on a project about
"Social Responsibility". It includes a 6-page essay, visual aids, an
oral presentation, etc. Points extra for having a unique topic. He
has decided on "Irresponsible Amateur Breeding Of Pets".

Beloved hubby and I had a heated exchange about this a few weeks ago,
and it piqued son's interest. Client and wife of hubby's had inherited
the same breed dog as our little girl, and saw ours at our annual Xmas
party.

Client's wife (to be referred to as CW), went on the internet, I guess,
and saw what purebred puppies of the breed were going for in different
parts of the country, and decided that maybe she could start up her own
cottage industry. She had her hubby call mine, and ask if she could
call me.

Anyway, to the point. CW wanted the number to our breeder, to try to
get a stud. And wanted to know what information I had about breeding.

I tried to be kind. Pointed out that her inherited dog was almost 8
years old. CW also had absolutely no idea about the history of the
breed, possible congenital problems, etc. Talked to her about puppy
mills, and how responsible breeders were in it to improve the breed,
not out for a quick buck. So what? She decided there must be a
fortune in it! Blech.

Son has statistics from the Humane Society, etc, about abandoned
animals, and our views about irresponsible breeding. So far, he's got
about 3 pages done.

Anybody have any bullet-point reasons he can research and write about?

Thanks so much in advance.

Kind regards,

Ana
http://*******ette.blogspot.com/

Old April 1st 05, 07:37 PM
Tee

wrote in message
oups.com...

Anybody have any bullet-point reasons he can research and write about?

A good place for your son to go from here would be to interview a few
rescues (its usually an accepted form of research with schools). Find two
or three rescues in your area/state (you can do this using
www.petfinder.org) to email and ask if they'd be willing to answer some
questions or give him some statistics.

I'd recommend going with two all-breed/mixed-breed rescues and one
breed-specific rescue of a breed your son knows. Explain the project and
your son's interest as a way of introduction and I'm sure you'll find the
rescues receptive to helping him as a significant goal of rescue is public
education.

Some stats to ask about are total number of dogs accepted in rescue per
year, total number turned away (for a grand total of dogs the rescue was
*approached* about, not all the dogs out there), how many were owner
surrenders and how many were shelter dogs, how many were heartworm positive
(owner negligence with healthcare) and any other stats & commentary they may
be willing to offer.

Try to steerhim clear of the general idea that all dogs in rescue were
abused because that's not the case. The majority were just backyard dogs
who got little to no attention or training so neglected is a more apt term.
He can also use Petfinder for quantity statistics.

--
Tara

Old April 1st 05, 08:21 PM

If he has access to a computer, I think your son is more than capable
of researching this topic by himself. That's when real LEARNING
occurs, i.e., while *doing* the research.

Here's a good starting off point:

http://dogplay.com/Breeding/ethics.html

--
Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator before sending me e-mail. Or...KA-BOOM!

Can Universities Be Fixed?
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=17406

Thank you so much for the link! I'm sure he'll be able to find plenty
of information there.

I think I'm going to have to try to find some way to send it to CW
also. ;-)

Best regards,

Ana
http://*******ette.blogspot.com/

Old April 1st 05, 08:23 PM

[...]

Thank you so much for the information and advice. I truly appreciate
it, and I'm sure my son will as well. :-)

Best regards,

Ana
http://*******ette.blogspot.com/

Breeding worthiness? Lori Dog breeds 4 November 9th 04 01:02 PM
Purebred Health David H Dog behavior 40 December 5th 03 09:12 AM
Gordon Setter with lymphoma breeding question Stephanie Hall Dog health 1 November 24th 03 01:38 PM
Breeding debate Routerider Dog breeds 11 August 7th 03 05:15 AM
Breeding tips? Angela Thompson Dog breeds 20 July 8th 03 06:58 AM