Occasional pooping in the house...

Old April 2nd 05, 05:48 AM
phelper

Default Occasional pooping in the house...

Hello... I've had my MinPin for about 2 years. I rescued him,
he's about 5. We just got a house about 6 months ago, and he's now
out of the apartment where I had to walk him to let him out. Now, for
the past 4 months or so, he's had a doggie door.

I keep him gated in the kitchen while I'm at work. The
kitchen is failry large, with probably 150sq. ft. of room. And
there's access to the doggy door. He's got toys and a pillow.

He always pees outside... no problems there. But I have a rug
in front of the oven, and maybe once or twice a week, regardless of
weather, he likes to poop on the rug while I'm gone rather than
pooping outside. Any time he poops on the rug, into the washing
machine it goes.

Now, I remove the rug from the kitchen. And maybe once or
twice a week, he'll poop where the rug used to be.

Again, he won't pee in doors. Just likes to poop in this
spot. He loves his doggy door, he goes outside and tinkles, it's
great. When I'm home on weekends, he'll use his door to go out and
tinkle and lay in the grass and enjoy himself. When I'm home, he'll
never poop in the house. It only happens when I'm at work.

Any suggestions? He's the best little boy in the world, in
all reality he's worth the pooping... Would just like to remind him
to go outside...
Old April 2nd 05, 05:21 PM
Ronna

I would start housebreaking 101 again. Take him out to poop, praise
him when he does. You might even take his poop and put it outside
where you want him to go. Block his access to the spot in the kitchen
that he likes. By rewarding the good behavior, he is more likely to
repeat that behavior Then it will become a habit.

Old April 2nd 05, 05:33 PM
Rocky

phelper said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Any suggestions? He's the best little boy in the world, in
all reality he's worth the pooping... Would just like to
remind him to go outside...

Your situation is close to what I've been dealing with with a
puppy I look after once in a while. He's reliable when it comes
to peeing, but pooping is another story. He prefers indoors for
the latter. As far as I know, his owners have never given him a
hard time for pooping in their house, but I can't be sure.

Let me give you a possible scenario, and please don't take
offence.

Dog poops where it's the most comfortable. Dog is more
comfortable pooping where the owner can't see him because the
owner has punished him for pooping in the house. (From the
dog's perspective, "punishment" can take many forms.) When the
owner is home, dog gladly poops outside - away from the owner.
When the owner is out, dog poops where it's the most
comfortable, which may be outside or inside.

There are tons of other reason why a dog poops in the house but
reliably pees outside - the above is just my personal
observation.

Irrespective of why it occurs, it's straight-forward to fix,
though some dogs will take longer than others. Start by not
making a big deal of him defecating in the house (if you do),
and don't forget that it doesn't take much of a reaction on your
part for the dog to perceive a threat, and Min Pins can be
sensitive dogs.

While you're at home, close the doggy door. Take your dog
outside when you think he has to go and give lots of positive
reinforcement when he does go - treats, praise, whatever makes
him happy. If he doesn't go outside while you're with him,
neutrally take him back inside. Supervise. After 10 minutes or
so give it another try. Wash, rinse, repeat and -- above all --
have patience.

If you want him to be 100% reliable while you're not at home, do
the above forever.

Old April 3rd 05, 02:15 AM
phelper

Thanks Rocky and Ronna... will try the suggestions.