Chihuahua puppies fight too rough sometimes

Old April 5th 05, 02:51 AM
France

Default Chihuahua puppies fight too rough sometimes

hi everyone,

I need some help with my new Chihuahua puppies, I just got 2 Chihuahuas
(female & sisters) last week, they will be 3 months old at the end of the
week and I find that sometimes when they play, it gets a little bit rough,
they start biting each other, any suggestions as to what I can do so they
don't play too rough? If you pick them up, they fall asleep on you almost
right away, they love to give kisses and they already go on the newspaper
except sometimes they miss when doing a #2. 2 days after coming home, I went
to the vet as I thought that the dogs were sick and I was right they have
the kennel cold or what ever it's called. They are on antibiotics until
Friday. They are so tiny about 2 lbs each. So any suggestions as what I
can do to make sure they don't fight and be good little girls would be
greatly appreciated. Any training tips?

thanks

France

Old April 5th 05, 03:21 AM
FurPaw

France wrote:
[...]

They sound adorable! I'm a real sucker for Chihuahua puppies. Do
you have pictures you could post?

Puppy play-fights almost always look a lot worse than they are. As
long as they aren't breaking skin or hurting each other (too often),
it's probably nothing to worry about. Play-fighting seems to be an
essential part of doggie development; they learn not only how to
fight but also to inhibit their biting. A lot of dog interaction
involves learning to read other dog's signals, bluffing, and backing
down. But if you don't want to allow it, it's up to you.

We did allow it (our brother-sister Chi pair are now 13.5) with no
bad results. When they were puppies, they played and tussled
incessantly. As they grew older, their play fighting happened less
and less frequently, and to my knowledge, they never actually hurt
each other. Same with our big dogs, who are 2 years apart. They
tussled wildly when they were young; now that they are 9 and 11,
they play tug and occasional bitey face, but, again, to my
knowledge, they never injured each other.

Enjoy your babies!

FurPaw

--
Born to live a life of leisure, still waiting for it to happen.

To reply, unleash the dog
Old April 5th 05, 04:09 AM
YourConscience

From: FurPaw - Find messages by this author
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 23:24:49 -0600
Subject: Dylan was in a fight!
original | Report Abuse

About an hour ago, Dylan came in with most of the hair removed from
the top of her head and what looks like a tooth mark in the wound, a
wound on her front leg, an odd-looking eye, and a couple of scrapes
on her other front leg. It looks like she went a couple of rounds
with some critter. We didn't hear anything! We cleaned and dressed
the wounds, put some otic triple antibiotic in her eye, and bandaged
her up. I hope we made the right decision in not taking her to an
emergency clinic, but the nearest one is an hour away and she seems
stable and resting comfortably, and her bleeding stopped on its own.

I'm knocking myself around the block for leaving the side gate open
- we'd brought in a barbecue grill this afternoon and I forgot to
close it. So we figure either that some critter or dog wandered
into the yard, or she left the yard and encountered it. Hubster
scoured the yard with a flashlight and didn't see any signs of a
fight; maybe we'll be able to see more in the daylight.

Poor girl - she's had so many problems; she really didn't need this.
We'll take her to the vet first thing in the morning.

FurPaw
--
Born to live a life of leisure, still waiting for it to happen.

To reply, unleash the dog

diddy Apr 4, 5:03 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
From: diddy - Find messages by this author
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 07:03:34 -0500
original | Report Abuse

Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Apr 11, 5:03 am).

in thread : FurPaw
whittled the following words:

[...]

I hope by this hour she's feeling better and the vet opens soon so you
can
make an appointment. Didn't you hear anything? Will be thinking of you
and
Dylan

Old April 5th 05, 04:15 AM
YourConscience

Here's your FREE copy of The Amazing Puppy
Wizard's FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training
Method Manual: http://makeashorterlink.com/?G=AD34D2527A

Just ASK The Amazing Puppy Wizard if you
need any additional FREE heelp. There's NO
arbritrary INFORMATION in your FREE copy
of The Amazing Puppy Wizard's FREE WWW
Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual so
study it well and do and follow ALL the
EXXXERCISES AS INSTRUCTED... it's a
PRECISE SCIENCE or it COULDN'T GET
100% CONSISTENT NEARLY INSTANT
SUCCESS for all handlers and all dogs in
all fields or utilities and behaviors all over
the Whole Wild World {) ; ~ )