Excessive drinking/urination

Old April 5th 05, 01:09 PM
Nate

Default Excessive drinking/urination

We have a 12 year old Sheltie who's generally in great health. The
past few months, he's been drinking a ton of water (he's never been a
big drinker) and urinating excessively as a result... lately he's also
having some bladder control problems which I think are just a result of
the water intake (never had any issues like this). We had blood and
urine tests done which showed nothing other than dilute urine... the
vet says he's very healthy and is not sure what's going on at this
point. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old April 5th 05, 01:19 PM

In article . com,
Nate wrote:
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

It could be a number of things, like Cushings Disease or
thyroid problems or diabetes. Ask your vet to run a blood
panel (and frankly I'm surprised that he hasn't already done
that - these are obvious and somewhat common problems).

Old April 5th 05, 02:56 PM
dollymarie

I cant understand why the vet wouldnt mention Cushings disease. It was my
first thought and Im not a vet. My dog started suffering from it as she
got older, she was never on any pain medication, she just drank a lot. I
think the main risk is of stones in the bladder, she had a few of them
anyway, but that might not have been due to the Cushings.
Google Cushings for a better explanation than I can give you.
Dollymarie

Old April 5th 05, 02:58 PM
dollymarie

Forgot to say, my dog had trouble with her bladder, or rather lack of
control of it. She slept on my bed, and we had more than a few accidents!
I ended up having to get up most nights to let her out, so she wouldnt
"wet the bed"
Dollymarie

Old April 5th 05, 03:12 PM
dollymarie

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cushings.html
I hope this link works, I went on ask jeeves and this page pretty much
says it all.
My dog never went on any of the medication as she was very old and we just
decided that as it would only add maybe a year to her life, the quality of
that year wouldnt be that great. You may decide otherwise though.
Dollymarie

Old April 5th 05, 07:57 PM
Nate

Thanks for all the great replies thus far... I'll definitely take a
look at Cushings. The vet has agreed to do some more tests and has
mentioned several times this could be "calcium" related. Also, several
years ago, we put him on a special diet (I believe Presciption Diet
U/D) because of a kidney stone that he developed. I'm wondering if
this could be related..

Old April 5th 05, 09:25 PM
Tee

"Nate" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a 12 year old Sheltie who's generally in great health. The
past few months, he's been drinking a ton of water (he's never been a
big drinker) and urinating excessively as a result... lately he's also
having some bladder control problems which I think are just a result of
the water intake (never had any issues like this). We had blood and
urine tests done which showed nothing other than dilute urine... the
vet says he's very healthy and is not sure what's going on at this
point. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Does he have a bloated, pot-belly look?

Like everyone else, the symptoms you describe are those of diabetes,
cushings disease and generally anything kidney related. A pot-belly is as
close to a dead-ringer, in conjunction with what you describe, for cushings.
Be aware though that its not impossible to get a false negative on a
cushings test. I know 2 people its happened to and I suspect my deceased
Min. Dachshund had it but received a false negative.

--
Tara

Old April 5th 05, 09:40 PM

Tee wrote:
Be aware though that its not impossible to get a false negative on a
cushings test. I know 2 people its happened to and I suspect my deceased
Min. Dachshund had it but received a false negative.

I gather that Cushings tests tend to be pretty inaccurate.
When Greta was going through her diagnostic nightmare she
was suspected of having Cushings. We did a cortisol/
creatinine ratio test which supposedly ruled out Cushings,
but the vet (Cornell vet hospital clinician) had us do an
ACTH stimulation test, which also came up negative. We
never did a Dexamethasone suppression test since it's kind
of a pain in the butt and a CAT scan had turned up a
pituitary mass, anyway.

Ultimately we ended up with a prescription for Anipryl to
treat her dementia and it did help with the Cushingoid
symptoms, but for several years prior to that we used DDAVP
($$$$) to treat her water consumption.

I wouldn't assume that this dog has Cushings until it has a
more thorough workup - there are too many other things it
could be (although it obviously could be Cushings, as
well). Time to try to be more thorough about diagnosis,
clearly.

Old April 5th 05, 10:21 PM
Tee

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
Tee wrote:
Be aware though that its not impossible to get a false negative on a
cushings test. I know 2 people its happened to and I suspect my deceased
Min. Dachshund had it but received a false negative.

I gather that Cushings tests tend to be pretty inaccurate.

That'd be my guess based on a handful of experiences I have knowledge of.
It took at least 2 testings to get to the Cushings diagnosis and I know one
dog was never actually diagnosed from testing but they tried whatever
treatment is used for Cushings and saw improvement.

I wouldn't assume that this dog has Cushings until it has a
more thorough workup - there are too many other things it
could be (although it obviously could be Cushings, as
well). Time to try to be more thorough about diagnosis,
clearly.

I didn't mean to imply I thought it was cushings. I just wanted to provide
some further info on it should that remain a diagnostic consideration.

--
Tara

Old April 5th 05, 10:41 PM

Tee wrote:
That'd be my guess based on a handful of experiences I have knowledge of.
It took at least 2 testings to get to the Cushings diagnosis

The first test they apparently usually do, the
cortisol/creatinine ratio test, doesn't diagnose Cushings
but it can eliminate it as a possibility. It's really easy
to do, though, and generally if it's negative they won't go
on and do further testing. We did in Greta's case because,
well, it was Cornell, and while they're terrific they've
never met a diagnostic test they didn't like. Also, Greta
had such a huge number of things wrong with her that the
whole diagnostic process took about six months and some
things (like Cushings) were revisited as other problems were
identified and treated. Students used to call other
students into the examining room to look at her, and her
file was over an inch thick.