hello from sunny GA - the Franklin diaries

Old April 5th 05, 11:40 PM
Janet B

Default hello from sunny GA - the Franklin diaries

FCRSA National. Sunny, 82, lovely. Much better than the field events
last weekend (45 degrees, 40 mph winds with 50 mph gusts). Not to
mention handler error bigtime in the JH. First timer nerves and
trying to stand up in the wind at the same time.

Franklin did manage to get his WC though, and a big pretty ribbon.

He also did one of his Unsteady Singles marks beautifully, but the
first required him burning of 3 days of being in a car in a crate too
much energy. He still brought me the duck, he just took a little
longer and more creative route to do it. Oh well. Travel 13 hours
away is hell on all of us.

We also entered our first agility trial - what the heck - even though
I didn't think we were ready, we were in good silly FCR company here.

He did a lot better than many of the other Nov A dogs, and I was too
nervous to remember to keep my eyes on my dog. He knocked the first
bar, a result of being too wound and me taking my eyes of him. He
definitely benefits from a verbal and visual easssy on a first jump.

He did all of his contacts beautifully, even the teter, which is
always challenging to not fly off of.

He did weaves - 4 of 6. Better than I expected and much better than a
lot of the other dogs, so we went on......

I messed up by being on the opposite side of jumps than I had planned
during walk-through, and that resulted in a little visit to the bar
setter until he came back and did the jumps.

He did his first full height table with grace and ease, as well as his
first full height panel jump and broad jump. His tunnel and chute
were speedy of course. All in all, it wasn't a bad run. He was
incredibly distracted from the minute we re-entered the horse arena.

Even Excellent dogs had trouble not socializing outside of the ring
(when they should have been IN the ring). Silly dogs aren't used to
seeing so many of their own kind and go a little nuts. That hurt a
lot of dogs in the Nov A stays this morning - they egged each other on
and flirted shamelessly, resulting in stay breaks with seconds to go.
Too bad.

Our Nov B "performance" is tomorrow. He did beautiful off lead
heeling, recalls and stays for me next to a pond this morning (after
several swims and he was rewarded with several more after), but what
he'll decide to do in the ring tomorrow is anyone's guess. I figure
I'm going home with 1 ribbon and some fun experience at least, not to
mention getting to see hundreds of FCRS (hey Kate - I didn't realize
the breeding that's taking place is what it is - what a GREAT breeding
and puppy potential - wow!), so what the heck. Maybe we'll have a
good day, maybe we won't. He'll still get to swim some
more............

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old April 6th 05, 02:40 AM

Welcome To Fantasy Dog Training Island, People!

From: (Shadow Knowz
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 00:20:05 -0600 (CST)

Subject: Welcome To Fantasy Dog Training Island, People!

De plane boss, de plane!"
Mr. Roarke: "Well, let's go down and welcome our visitors, shall we, my

little friend, Tattoo?"

"Oh, si boss, si! De plane, boss! De plane! De plane!"

"Si. Chill out, Tattoo. Our guests will be arriving momentarily,pull
yourself together and stop acting like a skeevy little frootloop,
Tattoo.

You give me the willies when you get like this.

Ahhhh, welcome to Fantasy Dog Training Island, People!

I'm your host Mr. Roarke. You've come to Fantasy Dog Training Island to

enjoy handling and training your dogs? Or perhaps you have some little
idiocyncracy you'd like to hmmm, shall we say ADJUST?

Excelllente!

Here on Fantasy Dog Training Island, right is wrong, and wrong is
right,
and you're always in control, even when you kill your dogs to make bad
things right, TO BE FAIR!"
"Boss, boss, boss, do you think you should mention that part?"

"But of course, Tattoo. Here on Fantasy Dog Training Island, we only
kill our best dogs in our fantasies, where everybody lives happily ever

after, just like me an you, my little needy friend, Tattoo!"

"But boss, boss, boss, these visitors to Fantasy Dog Training Island
have LIVE dogs, boss. They'll train them here in their FANTASIES, but
in
real life, those dogs are likely to run away, destroy their HOWESES,
eat
their children and attack their guests, and they'll kill their best
dogs
to be fair, for REAL, boss. Our guests will be going back to the real
world in just a couple of days, boss...
You can't let that happen to them, boss!"
"Ahhhh, not to worry my sniveling little friend, Tattoo! This is all
FANTASY! Relax! Enjoy our guests, Tattoo. Bring them all something
refreshing from the Fantasy Bark and Grill while I get to know some of
the bimbos better. Now run along Tattoo and make our guests feel
comfortable, like they're in their own HOWES!"

"But boss! Bosss!!!"

"Hush! Go now, Tattoo, our company awaits...
Greetings people! Are you familiar with your dog training equipment?
Have you notice your crates, and your pronged spiked pinch choke
collars?

For SHORE they LOOK like torture devices, and in real life, they ARE
torture devices, but NOT HERE on Fantasy Dog Training Island!
Here your crate and pronged spiked pinch choke device are YOUR FRIENDS!

I'll introduce you to your friend the shock collar too, while we're
examining our TOOLS to enhance the bond between trainer and dog, here
on
Fantasy Dog Training Island!

Notice if you will, your aversive spray collars. NO! Don't aim it at
yourself, I can assure you, it IS loaded..."

"But boss, bossss!!!"

"Get off my butt, you miserable cussed little dwarf.

Pay no attention to the spoiled child, People. He's troubled and is
supposed to be in his room resting. He's harmless, and means well, but
all this excitement seems to have overwhelmed him. I usually take him
the park for a couple hours a day, but today we were preparing for your

visit."

"But boss, these people are going to lock their dogs in boxes and shock

and choke their dogs, thinking they're TRAINING them!"

"Relax Tattoo! Go to your room while I explain to them HOWE the crate
teaches the dog his box is his HOWES that he should respect. I'll teach

them that locking IT in the box to control behaviors they can't train,
is GOOD! We'll say cratomg teaches IT, BONDING!!! Now go to your room,
Tattoo, you're overtired.
We'll tell them their dogs LIKE responsibility and are asking for
punishment when the dog questions authority, just like you enjoy,
Tattoo.

You're fine with the mild static like stimulation of your shock collar,

are you not, my little friend? Now run along to your room."

"But boss,"

"'ZAP!' Bad Tattoo! You shouldn't be disrespectful, you impertinent
little troll."

"Ouch! But boss!"

"ZAP!"

"Ouch! But boss! That'll make their dogs hyperactive, vicious, and
scared in real life, and might get them DEAD, boss!"

"Relax Tattoo, this is Fantasy Dog Training Island!"

But this ain't no FANTASY, People. This is real life...

Dogs DIE because of our ineffective, inappropriate handling and
training
tactics as taught by our REAL LIFE Fantasy Dog Trainers here on rpdb
and
in the dog behavior industry.

Your Puppy Wizard. {)YPW ; ~ )

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}=AD}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}}}}}=AD}}}}

Wow!! ROFLMAO!!! Like people would really hurt their dogs... I give you

an 8 for creativity! What a concept...... shock dogs to make them
behave! Lock them in cages so they learn to not piddle in the house
(yeah, right..maybe not their house..which would be the cage..)

#SK#

Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 14:32:34 -0500

(Shadow Knowz) wrote in
:

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}=AD}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}}}}}}}=AD}}}
}}
Wow!! ROFLMAO!!! Like people would really hurt their dogs...
I give you an 8 for creativity! What a concept...... shock
dogs to make them behave! Lock them in cages so they learn
to not piddle in the house (yeah, right..maybe not their
house..which would be the cage..)
#SK#

But of course not! That was just FANTASY!~

HOWEDY data rat,

remove the xoxo from (The Data Rat,
(remove X0X0 from email address)) wrote in
:

"cogg=E8" wrote in message
" "Cathy Simmons" wrote in message
My Husky was uncontrolable on a buckle collar now
matter what I tried.

That's on account of our experts tell us to put a dog on
a chain and make it listen...

Once I tried a prong collar, she became very well-behaved,

No, she became very scared.

and only maybe a few times did she tighten the collar to make
it uncomfortable.

To teach IT bonding.

Is the prong collar that evil like some people in here think?

Naaah! Dogs LOVE having dozens of prongs digging into their
throats and getting jerked and choked to show them HOWE
much you care.

It worked WONDERS for me.

No doubt!

Oddly enough, I was just told by a veterianary chiropractor
to use a prong collar on a shar pei I am fostering.

Your vet is a nitwit.

I could walk a mommoth easier and all the pulling on the choke
had ner neck WAY out of alignment.

That's idiocy. You choke your dog to make it want to be with you?

I got a prong collar

That's vicious.

the next day and it was like having a different dog while walking.

Yeah. That's HOWE COME the pronged spiked pinch choke
collars overstimulates dogs the entire time they're used
and cause other, seemingly non related behavior problems.

(We actually walk!)

For fun, huh?

I found the same for my collie on bike rides.

Idiot.

He was fine until he saw a squirrel,

BWWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Then what?

He'd CHOKE up???

then off the bike I went!

Idiot.

I think some dogs with thick necks, (shar pei's have about
a foot of extra skin there) or thick manes like collies, are
immune to a plain choke.

I see! O.K., we should get a dog with a "skinny little neck,"
like Moon?

From what I have heard,

Hey? Ain't you the bum that heard you should ought to
choke your dog?

a lot of dogs just have a high tolernace for pain and
discomfort, like pit bulls.

Is that so??? What happens when we HURT a dog
that's got a HIGH tolerance for PAIN? Do they ignore
it, or just demonstrate THEIR high tolerance for
INFLICTING PAIN back, to get even???

Kinda tit for tat, eh genius?

If you remember, choke chains used to be cruel,

Oh? I hadn't noticed that their status changed.

throwing your dog in a cage, (crating) used to be cruel.

Oh yeah, I remember THEN.

Anything can be cruel if used incorrectly.

EVEN THE KEYBOARD and MOUSE.

But NOT our DOG LOVERS!

They'd NEVER be cruel to their dogs.

They just change the definition of torture and pain.
And they get a perscription for brutality from their
vets.

And then they kill their dogs when they growl at them...

Now get the heel outta here, you fool.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard. {) ; ~ )

Old April 6th 05, 04:50 AM
KWBrown

Janet B wrote in
:

FCRSA National. Sunny, 82, lovely.

Sigh. After a brilliant and too-dry winter, it's gone cool, grey,
rainy, and all monochrome up here in the PNW.

Much better than the field events
last weekend (45 degrees, 40 mph winds with 50 mph gusts). Not to
mention handler error bigtime in the JH. First timer nerves and
trying to stand up in the wind at the same time.

Much the same at our first UKC hunt test last weekend. I've discovered
that a good shot of Nyquil, administered to the handler the morning of
the test, does wonders to settle the dog somehow. :-) We had one pass,
one fail in Seasoned.

Franklin did manage to get his WC though, and a big pretty ribbon.

Yay!

I figure
I'm going home with 1 ribbon and some fun experience at least, not to
mention getting to see hundreds of FCRS (hey Kate - I didn't realize
the breeding that's taking place is what it is - what a GREAT breeding
and puppy potential - wow!),

I take it you met the boy: did you get a chance to see the mom-to-be
and her owner, too? Nice folks, the both of them.

so what the heck. Maybe we'll have a
good day, maybe we won't. He'll still get to swim some
more............

After we failed on Sunday, we went over and worked as test dog and
pickup dog on the Finished stakes, where Stormy did really high-quality
work. It didn't get us a ribbon, but it was fun to keep hanging out
with dog folk, pick up ducks, and run in the swamp...

Have fun. I'm dreadfully jealous.

--
Kate
and Storm the FCR
Old April 6th 05, 07:53 PM
Janet B

On 6 Apr 2005 03:50:22 GMT, KWBrown
wrote:

I take it you met the boy: did you get a chance to see the mom-to-be
and her owner, too? Nice folks, the both of them.

After we failed on Sunday, we went over and worked as test dog and
pickup dog on the Finished stakes, where Stormy did really high-quality
work. It didn't get us a ribbon, but it was fun to keep hanging out
with dog folk, pick up ducks, and run in the swamp...

Have fun. I'm dreadfully jealous.

More swimming today after his first CD leg. Since I haven't even done
a run through in over 2 years, I can't complain, even if his off leash
heeling was a bit of a stumble at the start. And why isn't it just as
good to STAND and wag at mom when a halt is called? I mean, he did
stop after all, just was puzzled about what he was supposed to do (sit
is sooooo boring when we're just going to move again). Still, a big
fancy green ribbon - specialties are great for rosettes instead of
little ribbons!

I've met the boy before and thought he was amazing. Have not met
mom-to-be and owner yet, but we have more days and bitches are
tomorrow, so........

Now I'm looking forward to St Louis!

Old April 7th 05, 02:57 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Janet B" wrote in message
Even Excellent dogs had trouble not socializing outside of the ring
(when they should have been IN the ring). Silly dogs aren't used to
seeing so many of their own kind and go a little nuts.

Sounds like a GREAT time! I remember my friend telling me that we
needed to get together so our Novice obedience Belgians could all
practice sits & downs together. We did, and boy am I glad!!
You should have seen so many of the dogs (Bodhi's included)
faces when they entered for their sits & downs and were surrounded
only by others like them!! grin
Shelly & The Boys

Old April 7th 05, 03:19 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 06:57:43 -0700, "Shelly & The Boys"
wrote:

our Novice obedience Belgians could all
practice sits & downs together. We did, and boy am I glad!!
You should have seen so many of the dogs (Bodhi's included)
faces when they entered for their sits & downs and were surrounded
only by others like them!! grin

yeah - in Nov and Open as well - I saw a lot of "come hither" looks
and in team. one hormonal young male actually lifted the bitch next to
him with his nose. Silly black dogs.

Franklin has really solid stays - his best exercise really. Much
better than his off lead heel thank goodness. I said "ready" more
enthusiastically than I knew was wise, and he leaped in front of me.
Then I had to figure out how to forward and have him get in the right
place. I moved right to get him on my left, and he moved with me -
continuing to be blocking my forward movement. So, I did a little
do-si-do to get him on my left - major points off, but knew that if I
didn't, I would lose him altogether and NQ. It worked, as we got our
first CD leg, but geeeeeez. He is of the same opinion as I am - the
obedience ring is just not normal interaction and just plain old
weird. I think I should have been allowed to go in "A" anyway - it's
been 14 years since I put a CD on a dog. Isn't there some sort of
time limit of how much we're expected to be "experienced" about? ;-D

Old April 7th 05, 08:46 PM
Chris Jung

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in message

"Janet B" wrote in message
Even Excellent dogs had trouble not socializing outside of the ring
(when they should have been IN the ring). Silly dogs aren't used to
seeing so many of their own kind and go a little nuts.

Sounds like a GREAT time! I remember my friend telling me that we
needed to get together so our Novice obedience Belgians could all
practice sits & downs together. We did, and boy am I glad!!
You should have seen so many of the dogs (Bodhi's included)
faces when they entered for their sits & downs and were surrounded
only by others like them!! grin

In 1996, I showed Zeffie at our very first CCA nationals. Zeffie, of
course, was all business. She was pleased that there was nothin' but collies
there (collies can be such snobs) but other than exchanging polite
pleasantries wasn't distracted at all.

Having the place just crawling with tri-color smoothies* did trip me up
though. For the stays in Open A, there were 12 collies with 5 tri
smoothies, including Zeffie, in a row. And what did I do after returning
from the 5 minute long down but stand in front of the wrong smoothie. Like
D'uh. Perhaps I should've noticed the smoothie one over was staring at me
with a exasperated expression.

Chris and her smoothies
Pablo & Lucy

*Collie color popularity tends to go in cycles and at that time tri was in
for smoothies.

Old April 7th 05, 10:16 PM

I have the solution! Instead of trying to use fear to train your dog,
try a bungee dog leash. Let the resistance in the leash help your dog.

I tried one because I couldn't even walk my dog anymore she had gotten
so strong. I was at a dog show and they let me try the leash out
first. When my dad gave the leash, it worked!

The cushion was in the leash and now that my dog is tired of trying to
pull the leash, she doesn't pull anymore at all.

I have bought many more from their web site because I like the
different colors.

Here is the link http://www.bungeepupee.com

Good Luck!