My Rottie is a bummer

Old April 6th 05, 02:39 PM
Pete

Default My Rottie is a bummer

I wanted a Rottie in part as a protective dog. Unfortunately, there's not an
aggresive bone in his body. He's a total saint. He's never seen a dog or
person he doesn't love.
Now I'm stuck with him.

Old April 6th 05, 03:12 PM
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:39:51 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

I wanted a Rottie in part as a protective dog. Unfortunately, there's not an
aggresive bone in his body. He's a total saint. He's never seen a dog or
person he doesn't love.
Now I'm stuck with him.

"...Stuck with him." :-(

Well, you can stop by the nearest drug hot spot, and find out, for free,
how to convert your saint to a dog that no one will challenge. At the
same time, you can take on unimaginable civil and criminal liability;
and become one of folks most watched by your neighbors, and the local
police.

Or you could consult a local kennel that specializes in training dogs
for guarding and/or attack. The right trainer can help teach you and
your dog how to work as a team. You're dog is probably brilliant and can
learn to tell bad guys from good guys.

You can have the deterrent you want, without all of the liability you
don't want.

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
Old April 6th 05, 05:21 PM
Pete

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:39:51 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

I wanted a Rottie in part as a protective dog. Unfortunately, there's not
an
aggresive bone in his body.

Aggressiveness and protectiveness are not the same thing.

You should probably get down on your knees and kiss the ground and
thank God that your Rottie isn't aggressive.

But how do you know that he's not protective?

Has anyone (especially a stranger) ever acted aggressively towards you
or yours?

No?

Then how do you know that he's not protective?

He's a total saint. He's never seen a dog or
person he doesn't love.

How old is he?

You might want to have a professional trainer (one who is experienced
with Rotties) put your dog through his paces, to test his
"protectiveness" in a safe manner.

You might be surprised. VERY surprised.

On the other hand, most *other* folks (including those folks who might
mean you harm) don't/won't know that he's so gentle, so you get all of
the benefits of having a big, "scary" looking dog but none of the
hassles.

That sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Now I'm stuck with him.

What a horrible thing to say.

I hope you're a troll, "Pete."

sigh

--

Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply by e-mail

Another "Catholic" university loses its mind:
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...e_Day&only=yes

No, not a troll. I just went too far.
True, I am glad he's not "aggressive." That's good about him.
We walk him at night, and he does nothing but wag his tail at every stranger
and dog. The same goes with all visitors to the property.
Ho hum.
-Pete

Old April 6th 05, 05:28 PM
Tee

"Pete" wrote in message
. com...

No, not a troll. I just went too far.
True, I am glad he's not "aggressive." That's good about him.
We walk him at night, and he does nothing but wag his tail at every
stranger and dog. The same goes with all visitors to the property.
Ho hum.

That's the sign of a good temperament. Unless he was wagging his tail at an
intruder on your property who posed a threat he did good. You honestly
don't want a dog who is unpredictable with strangers or one who must be kept
away from people due to bite potential because someone is bound to get her
sooner or later and you could serve jail time.

Dogs have a way of picking up on your thoughts & body language even when
they're not looking right at you. If someone came in your yard and caused
you to feel alarm or uneasiness, your dog would pick up on that and be ready
to react. Same goes when your dog is on a leash. If you feel anxious or
afraid the dog will know and his guardian instincts will kick in.

One of the reasons Rotties are on dangerous dogs lists around the country is
due to people intentionally trying to make their dogs mean. Another reason
is poor breeding resulting in poor temperaments & unpredictableness. Some
people go out in search of that in a puppy and end up with a ticking
timebomb on their hands.

Seriously, be happy your dog's temperament is a good one, that he doesn't
pose a threat to people and that you can actually take him out with you.
He'll protect you when you need it.

--
Tara

Old April 6th 05, 05:41 PM
Pete

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:21:31 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

[]
You might want to have a professional trainer (one who is experienced
with Rotties) put your dog through his paces, to test his
"protectiveness" in a safe manner.

You might be surprised. VERY surprised.

On the other hand, most *other* folks (including those folks who might
mean you harm) don't/won't know that he's so gentle, so you get all of
the benefits of having a big, "scary" looking dog but none of the
hassles.

That sounds like a win-win situation to me.

[]

[]
No, not a troll. I just went too far.

Yes, you did, IMO. But I'm happy to see you admit to it.

True, I am glad he's not "aggressive." That's good about him.
We walk him at night, and he does nothing but wag his tail at every
stranger
and dog. The same goes with all visitors to the property.

Depending on his age, that behavior could start to change, and
literally *overnight.*

If you haven't given him any OBEDIENCE TRAINING yet, tomorrow is not
too soon to get started.

Otherwise you might find yourself back here in a few months,
complaining about an altogether different set of "problems."

--

Handsome Jack Morrison
*gently remove the detonator to reply by e-mail

Another "Catholic" university loses its mind:
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...e_Day&only=yes

I estimate he's about three. Last week he was neutered.
BTW, I'm Catholic. :-)
Tks.
-Pete

Old April 6th 05, 07:03 PM
Pete

"Handsome Jack Morrison" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:41:15 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

[]
BTW, I'm Catholic. :-)

Good for you.

So am I.

Apparently, so is your Rottie.

--

:-) Yes, my Rottie could be a Catholic -pacifist style, or Buddhist, or
flower child. Or perhaps inhabited by the spirit of some dead hippie.

Old April 6th 05, 07:05 PM
diannes

Pete wrote:

No, not a troll. I just went too far.
True, I am glad he's not "aggressive." That's good about him.
We walk him at night, and he does nothing but wag his tail at every stranger
and dog. The same goes with all visitors to the property.

And what's your reaction to the strangers you meet on your walks
and the visitors to your property? Are you scared, nervous - or
relaxed? A good protection dog will take his cue from you about
what situations warrant action and which don't.

My late great dog K.C. (the most perfect dog that ever lived :-))
was one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. In all his 12.5 years
there was only one occasion on which he needed to protect me. I
was teaching obedience in a crummy part of town and had taken
him outside between classes to go potty. A drunk came out of the
bar next door, saw K.C., and started staggering towards me with
his hand outstretched - he might've just wanted to pet the pretty
doggy but there was no one else around and I went on red alert.
And so did K.C. - he put himself between me & the drunk, looked
the man dead in the eye, and gave a low, grumbling growl... and
that's all it took. The guy backed right off, turned, and went
the other direction.

What amazed me was not so much that K.C. had been protective
of me but that he'd gauged the situation so darn accurately.
He used exactly the right amount of force: enough to back the
guy down, but not too much, either. Damn, I sure miss that
dog :-(.

So don't sell your dog short. If he's got a good, stable
temperament - and it sounds like he does - I'd be willing to
make a bet that he'll come through for you if he ever needs
to.

Dianne
(in loving memory of K.C., U-CD Nightwind's Elan Am/Can CD
HS OTDs CGC, 12/20/1989 - 4/24/2002)
Old April 6th 05, 08:54 PM
Robin Nuttall

Debbie S wrote:

A good friend of mine, not known for liking people all that much
{surprise! ;-) } has a rather sharp Malinois. Her dog will react to
people her owner doesn't like, to the extent that my friend starts
singing the Smurf song to herself when she is approached by someone
she's not fond of. {note to Robin, she sings the song whenever
approached by a certain Dobe person.} If she sings the Smurf song in
her head, the dog doesn't react.

Which dobe person? There are so many to choose from. Private mail is fine...