San Diego Snippy Dog Needs A Home

Old April 6th 05, 07:05 PM
dave

Default San Diego Snippy Dog Needs A Home

Hi,
I have a 2 year old yellow lab mix which has been getting more snappy
with people. He also has started not getting along with other dogs.
He is fairly well trained, however I can not trust him around other
people or dogs. I do not want to surrender him to the pound but have
no other solution besides adoption. He is a wonderful dog other than
this issue. Please help

Old April 7th 05, 07:45 PM
Scott Hildenbrand

Depending on how clean of a mix it is, you might be able to get it into
lab rescue... However, a you say the dog is becoming more aggressive to
other dogs and people it's likely that they will not accept it and will
recommend having the dog put to sleep...

The other option is professional training. Check your area to see what
your options are for training by a handler. They may be able to identify
the issues your dog is having and may have a method to curb the problem
and remove the aggression issues.

Good luck,
Scott--

---- The Bluegrass Basset Rescue ----
Internet Development Administrator
http://www.bluegrassbasset.com

Old April 8th 05, 03:52 PM
Sunflower

"dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I have a 2 year old yellow lab mix which has been getting more snappy
with people. He also has started not getting along with other dogs.
He is fairly well trained, however I can not trust him around other
people or dogs. I do not want to surrender him to the pound but have
no other solution besides adoption. He is a wonderful dog other than
this issue. Please help

Neutering. Training. Both are cheap.

Lab rescues are always full. Labs are the #1 most euthanized dog in America
today because they are overbred and folks underestimate the amount of effort
it takes to own one. No dog learns proper behavior on it's own. They must
be taught. Get professional help.

And, if the professional cannot train you to train your dog, then do the
right thing and euthanize the dog yourself rather than shoving the job off
on a stranger. Rescues will not take aggressive dogs due to liability
issues. And don't lie and try to pass off your dog as perfectly well
behaved. They'll find out, and the result will still be the same:
euthanasia. Far better that you are there to comfort the dog when it happens
than a stranger. You owe that much to the dog. And you deserve to know
what it's like to really fail at your responsibility and the real
consequences of that.

Old April 9th 05, 03:17 AM
HouseODogs

You may also want to have him checked at the vet's office for Lyme disease.
It is known to cause aggression in dogs. Lyme is very common here on the
East Coast, but it is now also being seen on the West Coast too.

Lea
www.shepherdrescue.org