Eukanuba Puppy Small Breed formula and protein level

Old April 7th 05, 02:50 AM
Rob

Default Eukanuba Puppy Small Breed formula and protein level

I have a 3 month Shih Tzu that I have been feeding Eukanuba Puppy
Small Breed formula since we purchased her from a breeder last month.
I was reading the label and noticed that the protein level is 32%
which is the highest I've seen among other puppy foods. I'm curious
if this is too much protein for my puppy to take in, I've read
conflicting info out there on this subject.

I'm thinking of switching to Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul
(what kind of name is that?) which has "only" 28% protein and an
impressive list of ingredients, but wonder if I would be better off
leaving her on the Eukanuba since she is doing well on that food -
good energy, healthy coat and good firm stools.

Any opinions on this?
Old April 7th 05, 04:11 PM

Rob wrote:
I have a 3 month Shih Tzu that I have been feeding Eukanuba Puppy
Small Breed formula since we purchased her from a breeder last month.
I was reading the label and noticed that the protein level is 32%
which is the highest I've seen among other puppy foods. I'm curious
if this is too much protein for my puppy to take in, I've read
conflicting info out there on this subject.

I'm thinking of switching to Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul
(what kind of name is that?) which has "only" 28% protein and an
impressive list of ingredients, but wonder if I would be better off
leaving her on the Eukanuba since she is doing well on that food -
good energy, healthy coat and good firm stools.

Any opinions on this?

Rob, keep in mind small breeds have a higher protein and fat
requirement during the first few months than larger breeds. Euks
caloric distribution for the puppy mini bites is 28%, with 32% protein
ingredient make-up. Many Veterinarians suggest switching over to an
adult food at 4 months or so when these requirements start to diminish.
Each breed is different though, so I would consult your vet on this.

I have an 8-week-old pug puppy that I am feeding Eukanuba mini bites
and I am extremely pleased with the results so far. Also, remember that
CSFDLS are much larger kibble, and your pup may have a hard time with
that. I don't know what CSFDLS phosphorus/calcium ratios are either,
something that is important to *me*. They don't list them and I've
never bothered to look and I also don't know if they fortify their food
with omega fatty acids like Euk does - that's something you might want
to look into. (BTW, I agree with your questioning the name, I think
that greatly hurts CSFDLS. It's just plain odd to associate a dog food
with a self-help book. Most of the stores around me have discontinued
carrying it and I think it's strange market positioning is to blame. It
just wasn't moving. shrugs)

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Old April 8th 05, 03:23 PM
Rob

Appreciate the reply! I did buy a small sample bag of CSFPLS and have
been slowly mixing it with the Eukanuba. My puppy seems to like it
alot and the kibble size isn't much larger, so I think I will make the
switch as soon as my Eukanuba bag runs out. It's a little less
expensive too which also helps.

I don't understand that marketing tactic like you said - only 1 feed
store in town carries it the others said it wasn't selling well and so
they stopped carrying it. You have to think the name has something to
do with it. Too bad Diamond doesn't just put it under their label,
the ingredients seem much better then their regular puppy food.

Old April 9th 05, 02:49 AM

Rob,

Glad your pup likes the CSFDLS (or whatever the heck the acronym is!).
I have several friends who use this brand and swear by it. :-)