age-related hearing loss

Old April 11th 05, 06:31 PM
Klara

Default age-related hearing loss

Megan, our elderly collie/lab cross had fairly profound hearing loss,
along with what the vet thought was arthritis (turned out to have been
cancer). She was on medication for arthritis, but (with the vet's
approval - he said it was a natural product and wouldn't do any harm) I
also gave her glucosamine with chondroitin - and to my surprise she
recovered much of her hearing!

14-year-old Josie is also pretty deaf, though otherwise spry and bouncy
- so I thought glucosamine with chondroitin wouldn't do any harm - and
sure enough, her hearing has begun to improve too!

I have Googled a bit, and it seems the Japanese treat human hearing loss
with glucosamine with chondroitin! So I think it's well worth trying. I
would love to know if anyone else finds that it works, as I've never
seen it recommended for hearings in dogs!
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old April 12th 05, 04:34 AM
Gary G

Don't waste your money...Glucosomine and chondroitin have there place but
hearing loss is not an area we know how to deal with...When I'm not with my
buddies I'm a hearing health care provider and your looking for something
which does not work...Dogs do fine with hearing loss...Some bark for no
reason but they do adjust...Much better than we do...I hate to burst your
hope...I just hate to see you go in that direction...Good luck...GG

Old April 12th 05, 11:37 PM
Sharon too

Don't waste your money...Glucosomine and chondroitin have there place but
hearing loss is not an area we know how to deal with...When I'm not with
my buddies I'm a hearing health care provider and your looking for
something which does not work...Dogs do fine with hearing loss...Some bark
for no reason but they do adjust...Much better than we do...I hate to
burst your hope...I just hate to see you go in that direction...Good
luck...GG

Dosed appropriately for the weight of the dog, it certainly wouldn't hurt
and may help to slow down some of the stresses of aging in the joints.

Old April 13th 05, 11:31 AM
Klara

In message , Sharon too
writes
Don't waste your money...Glucosomine and chondroitin have there place but
hearing loss is not an area we know how to deal with...When I'm not with
my buddies I'm a hearing health care provider and your looking for
something which does not work...Dogs do fine with hearing loss...Some bark
for no reason but they do adjust...Much better than we do...I hate to
burst your hope...I just hate to see you go in that direction...Good
luck...GG

Dosed appropriately for the weight of the dog, it certainly wouldn't hurt
and may help to slow down some of the stresses of aging in the joints.

That's what I thought - worth trying as it isn't likely to do any harm.
But in the case of Megan (whose deafness may, though, have been related
to her cancer) the improvement in hearing was also really dramatic. So I
wonder whether this is something that just hasn't been researched much
yet - except for this Japanese paper: 'An experience in the use of
chondroitin sulfate in nervous deafness and traumatic deafness'.
Unfortunately, I can only read the title ...

Actually, I take glucosamine/chondroitin for RSI (successfully), and I
think my hearing is improving too!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

From: Marty Wallace AKA Oscar firec3medic Dog behavior 3 March 1st 05 06:09 AM
pet loss book, title please!! Michelle Dog behavior 3 January 18th 05 04:17 AM
Loss of appetite - Coming into season Mick Dog health 0 December 21st 04 01:05 PM
Dealing with the loss of a pet... Robert Shields Dog health 3 July 13th 03 03:05 PM
Shepherd hair loss qwert0u Dog health 1 July 2nd 03 12:15 PM