Angelic dog; Satanic cat

Old April 12th 05, 10:40 AM
Charlie Wilkes

Default Angelic dog; Satanic cat

I found this cat in the middle of the road in the middle of the night
bleeding from his eyes, ears and nose. He had been one of the cats
living in a huge livestock barn adjacent to where I found him.

I put him in a cardboard box and brought him home. He recovered and
has not left the house since, nor has he shown any interest in doing
so. He would like to sit in my lap all day if he could.

He is a scrawny male, in need of a nut-cutting, about a year old and
weighing about three pounds. Holly has shown him the greatest
courtesy and respect, and it was a mistake, because now the cat
harrasses her. He is jealous, and he attacks her, yowling and batting
ridiculously at her flanks with his tiny paws. She shies away because
she knows she is to accommodate and protect small domestic animals.
But I don't want her to accommodate this behavior. I want her to snap
at the cat and put him in his place, so he will stop.

Any suggestions before I drown the cat?

Charlie

Old April 12th 05, 12:37 PM
Janet B

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:40:52 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

He is jealous, and he attacks her, yowling and batting
ridiculously at her flanks with his tiny paws. She shies away because
she knows she is to accommodate and protect small domestic animals.
But I don't want her to accommodate this behavior. I want her to snap
at the cat and put him in his place, so he will stop.

Any suggestions before I drown the cat?

Charlie

Clip his claws, neuter him, and use a squirt bottle with water when he
"attacks". You mayb also talk to your vet about drug therapy.
Place the cat if you can't deal with this.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old April 12th 05, 08:40 PM
Michael A. Ball

wrote:

...Any suggestions before I drown the cat?

Don't waste an opportunity. Put the cat back where you found it--and in
the condition you found it.

Whatever it takes.
Old April 13th 05, 04:49 AM
Charlie Wilkes

wrote:

He is jealous, and he attacks her, yowling and batting
ridiculously at her flanks with his tiny paws. She shies away because
she knows she is to accommodate and protect small domestic animals.
But I don't want her to accommodate this behavior. I want her to snap
at the cat and put him in his place, so he will stop.

Any suggestions before I drown the cat?

Charlie

Clip his claws, neuter him, and use a squirt bottle with water when he
"attacks". You mayb also talk to your vet about drug therapy.
Place the cat if you can't deal with this.

Thank you Janet.

My vet says I take enough drugs as it is.

I think perhaps an airtight box hooked up to the exhaust of a car
would be kinder than drowning, eh?

I'm not going to starve him like they did that woman in FL.

Charlie
Old April 13th 05, 04:54 AM
BSJM

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Charlie.

Thanks much for saving this kitty.

I can't offer any suggestions as to how to get Holly to put the cat in his
place, as our 10 pound, declawed cat is the queen of our house, and makes
sure our 40+ pound springer knows it : )

Come to think of it, everyone I know who has both pet dogs and cats, the
cats are the "bosses" even if they weigh 1/10th of what the dog weighs.

But... I do suggest you get the "nuts cut" as soon as possible. If the cat
starts spraying to mark his territory (i.e. your furniture, walls, carpets)
you'll have a heck of a time getting rid of the smell, and an even harder
time getting him to stop the behavior. Get him "taken care of" before he
starts this lovely habit... I've seen it start at 9 months... maybe he
hasn't started because he's not in optimal health yet.

http://www.cozycatfurniture.com/cat_...wsletter8.html

I hope the comment about drowning the cat was a joke... but if it wasn't,
take the cat to the nearest humane society. He'll probably be better off
there or humanely euthanized, than back at the livestock barn where he was.

good luck!

Shelly

Old April 13th 05, 05:56 AM
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:49:44 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

...I think perhaps an airtight box hooked up to the exhaust of a car
would be kinder than drowning, eh?...

No way, but that's okay! "An airtight box" will create too much back
pressu either the seal will fail or the engine will die--with
possible internal engine damage. Some holes in the box will concentrate
the exhaust and eliminate the pressure problem.

Because of better combustion, fuels and catalytic converters, modern
automobiles don't emit enough carbon monoxide to be helpful. The cat
would possibly drown from inhaling the dense water vapor in the exhaust;
or at least, develop terminal pneumonia.

If the box is small, the cat will be exposed to a lot of heat. I suppose
he would be steamed. Get it? "Steamed"! LOL

Whatever it takes.
Old April 13th 05, 06:08 AM
bizby40

"BSJM" wrote in message

I can't offer any suggestions as to how to get Holly to put the cat in his
place, as our 10 pound, declawed cat is the queen of our house, and makes
sure our 40+ pound springer knows it : )

Come to think of it, everyone I know who has both pet dogs and cats, the
cats are the "bosses" even if they weigh 1/10th of what the dog weighs.

Well, there are too many cats killed by dogs for that to be universally
true.... I once had only a cat. When I got the puppy, the cat immediately
established her dominance. Over the course of the next several years,
there were several more scuffles -- nothing serious enough that I needed
to get involved in. By the end of it, the dog was firmly on top and was
never challenged again.

Fast forward -- cat dies, new cat. Dog immediately put this one in
it's place, and there it has stayed.

Bizby

Old April 13th 05, 12:54 PM
Alison

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message

My vet says I take enough drugs as it is.

Charlie

LOL
Charlie, well done for saving this cat . If you really dont want to
keep him ,it would best to hand him over to a rescue.
I would go back to the vet and have him checked over again incase
he is in pain and also ask about neutering him and having him
vaccinated etc .
A for him attacking your dog , think about the cats back gorund and
what he has been through. If he only weighs 3 lbs ,he must have never
been fed or was pushed out by the other barn cats. He must have been
virtually starving. Also he could have been chased and hurt by the
farm dogs . he wouil d have to bea tough cookie to survive this far.
I expect he's being aggressive to your dog because he is protecting
his resources ( you) and because he feels threatened by dogs and
attack is the best form of defence.
If you teach your dog to snap at her , it could cause him to go into
a full blown attack . You want the cat to trust the dog. Spraying
with water is not a good thing to do. He will associate it with the
dog and could make him more aggressive and mistrustful. He needs to
associate good things with your dog like food.
In what situations does the cat attack your dog , is it at soon a
she sees her or when she approaches you?
Alison

Old April 14th 05, 03:25 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:54:32 +0100, "Alison"
wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

The cat only attacks the dog when I am interacting with one or the
other or both of them, so all I have to do is "switch channels" to a
new situation and both animals revert to other behavior patterns.
It's not really a problem, but I thought it was interesting behavior.

The attacks are amusing to everyone but Holly, the dog. The kitty
makes his paws into little fists he uses to pound on her hind quarters
while she shrinks back. He pulls in his claws so as not to actually
hurt her and risk a counterstrike.

The animals will get along fine, but this cat is an emotionally needy
nut case and a shameless troublemaker. I have named him Tweaker.
About 10 minutes ago, Holly walked toward her food dish and Tweaker
knocked it over and spilled the kibbles out on the floor, and then
crouched down next to it and stared at her. After she backed off, he
ate a couple of kibbles and then jumped in my lap. He wants to be in
my lap whenever I am at the computer, and he is always rubbing his
face against mine etc.

He wasn't starving, but he was undernourished and now his belly is
tight all the time. I also have a pregnant feral living in my crawl
space. I have been feeding her and keeping an eye on her with a
nannycam setup. She eats more than Holly and Tweaker put together and
she is getting HUGE. I think Michael Ball better get some monster
tires on his truck and plan a trip to the Northwest. He can follow me
down the highway while I toss kittens and cats out the window. For
those who think this is cruel, I would point out that it is no
different than Dick Cheney shooting 70 pheasants in a canned hunt, and
who could ever doubt Dick Cheney's moral stature? Certainly not I.

Charlie