Another Dog in household with pregnant bitch??

Old April 12th 05, 09:35 PM

Default Another Dog in household with pregnant bitch??

Hi everyone,
Im new to this group and have been reading through alot of the posts on
here and figured it would be a good place to ask for some advice,i have
a westie bitch who we believe to be pregnant to my small mongrel i have
taken her to the vet and he belives her to be about 5 weeks gone, my
question is the mongrel(his name is Bo seems a shame to call him a
mongrel!!) do i have to keep him away from the bitch (frankie)and the
pups after they are born, this as you may have guessed was'nt a planned
breeding and i might just add Bo is being nutered!

I have had advice from online and the vet about frankie and we are
going back to see him in 3 weeks i will of course ask him about Bo but
im very intrested in anyone who can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,
Adi.

Old April 12th 05, 09:41 PM
Davina Stuart

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,
Im new to this group and have been reading through alot of the posts on
here and figured it would be a good place to ask for some advice,i have
a westie bitch who we believe to be pregnant to my small mongrel i have
taken her to the vet and he belives her to be about 5 weeks gone, my
question is the mongrel(his name is Bo seems a shame to call him a
mongrel!!) do i have to keep him away from the bitch (frankie)and the
pups after they are born, this as you may have guessed was'nt a planned
breeding and i might just add Bo is being nutered!

I have had advice from online and the vet about frankie and we are
going back to see him in 3 weeks i will of course ask him about Bo but
im very intrested in anyone who can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,
Adi.

There's no reason for them to be kept apart. We've had multiple dogs in the
household during pregnancies and there have been no problems. You might
want to get them spayed/neutered so there are no further pregnancies (unless
you can easily find homes for the pups..) But there's rarely a problem with
having other dogs in the home with a new litter. Unless they get aggressive
towards each other for some reason, there shouldn't be any problsm..
good luck

Old April 12th 05, 10:29 PM
John Casey

I went through the surprise pregnancy as well. I got my Papillon from a
breeder. 5 weeks later I had her at the vet's for a checkup, no
problem, nothing to report. One week after that Hollywood dropped 2
puppies. Thinking your dog peeded on the bed, putting her on the floor,
leaving one dog to get their leash for a walk and discovering two dogs
when you get back will wake you up.

Even though we only had her for 6 weeks, we spoiled her, so I think she
was relatively comfortable with me sitting there with her. The only
issue we had was the first puppy's umbilical cord got wraped around
Hollywood's tail and foot. As soon as I realized what was wrong and
fixed it, she did her thing and ate the placenta. Really wish my wife
was there at that moment, she would have hurled. Was in the front room
while the second puppy was born. Hollywood took off to the bedroom for
a moment and then came back with that gotta get your attention look. It
was like she was saying ta-da, two puppies.

I am not an expert, but it would have been nice if I had of had puppy
bottles and formula on hand because for the first day Hollywood, being
8 months at the time, had no idea what to do. Try finding puppy bottles
and formula at 8PM on a Saturday. Have your vets number on hand in case
of complications. Make sure your dog has a bed (preferably a location
of their choice) and is comfortable. Since it is spring, extreme cold
or heat shoud not be an issue. If you do use a box to keep the puppies
in one spot, make sure the sides are no higher than 6 inches so mom is
comfortable too.

Good Luck,

John

P.S. Yes we are keeping the two puppies.

http://24.101.203.113/Hollywood

Old April 13th 05, 09:20 PM
Davina Stuart

congrats John

Pap are so cute we thought about them when we were looking for a dog..
but wound up with Poms instead via rescue..

anyway.. your comment reminded me that yes, i't be very good to have bottles
and formula on hand.. one of the litters my mom's dog had, her milk just
didn't drop until a few days after she gave birth and we had to nurse the
pups for the first few days. Was the only time we ever had a problem with
it, but it's always good to be prepared!