Freeway - Starting a New Chapter

Old April 13th 05, 06:30 AM

Default Freeway - Starting a New Chapter

This comming week-end is going to be Freeway's much anticipated
introduction to sheep. It will be at a "Marc Chrisotpher" clinic. While
Freeway has shown *some* inteest in sheep there really is no way of
predicting what he will do wehn actually given a chance to interact.

An important preparation for working sheep is a good "stop" or down. It
has been interesting to teach Freeway the distance "down." He has gotten
this one far more quickly than any other dog I've trained. I'd say the
one improvement I've made in training is being very careful that "good
dog" is never the equivalent of a release. So when Freeway drops on
command I can "good dog" him without losing the down. And in the last two
weeks I've added some petting and then me walking away, without having
released him, and he still holds the down.

I'm really glad of the timing. I had a lot of people who encouraged me to
try him earlier. But I wanted to get Freeeway started in his therapy dog
work first, and to develop a good working relationship. And I've really
seen that develop. He has learned a lot of self control over these last
six months, and lost none of his enthusiasm.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old April 13th 05, 01:01 PM
Shelly & The Boys

wrote in message ...
one improvement I've made in training is being very careful that "good
dog" is never the equivalent of a release. So when Freeway drops on
command I can "good dog" him without losing the down. And in the last two
weeks I've added some petting and then me walking away, without having
released him, and he still holds the down.

What a great observation, coming from someone who is currently teacing
a drop on recall. Bodhi has a nice drop in the field, but is still
tentative
during obedience.

I'm really glad of the timing. I had a lot of people who encouraged me to
try him earlier. But I wanted to get Freeeway started in his therapy dog
work first, and to develop a good working relationship. And I've really
seen that develop. He has learned a lot of self control over these last
six months, and lost none of his enthusiasm.

Excellent! I do like to see dogs that aren't nasty with sheep, but dislike
dog that just plods along waiting for each command on the sheep. Here's
hoping that Freeway keeps that fun part of him that makes him "him"!
Please have photos! :-)
Shelly & The Boys

Old April 19th 05, 05:56 AM

It was a very interesting clinic. FReeway is semi-intersted in sheep, and
the sheep are not the last afraid of him. He was proably the only brand
new dog that was able to "walk-up" within ten feet and only get a few ear
flicks out of them. We intentionally did not push the sheep out of their
comfort zone.

The introduction process was, perhaps, a bit more mechanical than many
herding folks are used to. But it was well received by both the students
and instructors attending. Personally the reason I waited for that clinic
to introduce Freeway was to see a different way. Marc uses a long line to
steady the dog and some other tool (whatever works for that dog) to
encourage the dog to get some distance from the handler. Goal number one
is to help the dog be right. ANd if the dog isn't going to be right, to
stop it before it goes wrong. AND if you fail in that, stop the wrong
behavior, then guide the dog back to the correct behavior.

On Saturday Freeway was mostly interested in figuring out what I wanted.
He paid little attention to the sheep. I think Marc was impressed at the
fact that Freeway could and would hold a distance sit. When
I'm not asking Freeway to do something "wiggle butt" could be his middle
name. So he doesn't look like a serious worker until I tell him to do
something.

On Saturday we were getting circles at about ten feet from me
"flanking" the sheep. Not quite technically since Freeway wasn't doing
anything in reference to the sheep. It was my job to help him define and
hold that circle. I decided to put Tsuki in his place on Sunday, but
today we had a private lesson.

This time Freeway started to relax. He got some really nice straight
"walk-ups" on the sheep. This time the sheep were clearly in the
equation. But unlike many sheep introductions it was all very quiet.
The goal was to keep the pressure balanced. The point was to never get to
the point where the sheep would bolt, or that the dog would feel the need
to "do" something. So I'd walk him up, stop him, walk him up, have him
hold the stop, then flank him to circle the sheep one side or another.
The sheep would move and instead of trying to get Freeway around them we
would just wait for them to settle and then start another circle.
ANd he was holding a nice circle about 20 feet out.

This isn't "herding", yet. Eventually the dog needs to be able to work
those flanks without the handler being there, and to stop the sheep
flight/movement by making and adjustment in his course. THAT is herding.
But the goal is to shape the flanking from the beginning.

Tsuki also did well. I know that a lot of Tsuki's problems aren't Tsuki's
they are mine. I lack the patience to lay a good foundation. I plan on
working to change that. Once in agility I found a person with a method
that suited Tsuki, but none of the local instructors were comfortable with
it, and I need the outside eye. This time my instructor and the other two
people in the sheep co-op have all committed to giving this method a try.
THat should be a big help in acheiving my goal.

There is nothing new in the theories being applied, just the methodology.
Since it is relavtively "pure" OC R-R+ (put pressure on, let pressure off)
I do at least understand the application. Now if I can find the
self-disciplne to apply it.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/