My cocker puppies keep dying.. help.

Old April 14th 05, 01:46 PM
ejenkins ejenkins is offline
Junior Member

Smile My cocker puppies just had hook worms

vet fixed all dogs& pups with simple hook wormer. No PLague on the place after all.. just some ineffective wormer

Last edited by ejenkins : April 15th 05 at 01:04 PM.
Old April 14th 05, 02:11 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:46:09 +0000, ejenkins
wrote:

Any suggestions/ideas
would be appreciated.

Get those other 4 pups to the vet now, and spay all 3 bitches.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old April 15th 05, 02:44 AM
Hillary 2008

Here's a suggestion, give up the breeding.

"ejenkins" wrote in message

My wife has 3 femail cocker spainels and all 3 have had a litter in the
last 4 months. Problem is in spite of good mothering and even a vet
check just after delivery, the puppies suddenly all die about the 10th
day. They were all healthy and growing but none have lived beyond the
2 week mark. we are on the 3rd litter and this morning, we got up to
find, 2 of 6 pups were dead.
The only abnormality that we see at all is some bloody stool from the
puppies. WIfe tells me that the bitch also has some bloody stool. All
dogs have had all their shots including parvo. Any suggestions/ideas
would be appreciated.

--
ejenkins

Old April 15th 05, 07:49 AM
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC

I agree,
All 3 bitches need to be spayed.
Sounds like something contagious that is passed to puppies in the litter.

Once the dogs are spayed, either place them in homes or kennel them.

You will have to have your entire house and yard sterilized. This may take a
very long time to do so placing the dogs in a forever home would probably be
the best thing for them.

There are no guarantees about this sterilization process of your home so do
not continue to breed dogs in that house as there is a very good chance it
can happen again.

It's a very serious illness.

--
Carol J
Cocker Spaniel Rescue of BC

Old April 16th 05, 12:21 AM
Christy

"ejenkins" wrote in message

My wife has 3 femail cocker spainels and all 3 have had a litter in the
last 4 months. Problem is in spite of good mothering and even a vet
check just after delivery, the puppies suddenly all die about the 10th
day. They were all healthy and growing but none have lived beyond the
2 week mark. we are on the 3rd litter and this morning, we got up to
find, 2 of 6 pups were dead.
The only abnormality that we see at all is some bloody stool from the
puppies. WIfe tells me that the bitch also has some bloody stool. All
dogs have had all their shots including parvo. Any suggestions/ideas
would be appreciated.

Sounds like it could be herpes. That particular disease is sexually
transmitted and if your bitches have it, they will continue to pass it on to
subsequent litters which will likely all die. The male(s) used at stud could
have transmitted it, or been infected by the bitches. Bad situation all the
way around. I assume you've taken the dead puppies to the vet and have had
his assistance all this time to try to save the remaining puppies?
Hopefully the vet will give you a discount on spaying all three bitches at
once.

Christy

Old April 16th 05, 01:17 PM
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4iteMidis

My cocker puppies keep dying.. help.

Group: rec.pets.dogs.health Date: Fri, Apr 15, 2005, 11:21pm (EDT+4)
From: (Christy)
"ejenkins" wrote in message
My wife has 3 female cocker spaniels and all 3 have had a litter in the
[...]

Christy isn't that the same as brucellosis? and if that's the case you
can bet your bottom dollar that the male dog who got those females
pregnant also has that disease. Even if the 2 aren't the same I would
think the consequences are. Those poor dogs got to be fixed.

Old April 16th 05, 09:21 PM
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4iteMidis

My cocker puppies keep dying.. help.

Group: rec.pets.dogs.health Date: Sat, Apr 16, 2005, 3:17pm (EDT+4)
From: (diannes)
wrote:
(Christy) wrote:
Sounds like it could be herpes. That particular disease is sexually
transmitted and if your bitches have it, they will continue to pass it
on to subsequent litters which will likely all die.
Christy isn't that the same as brucellosis?
No - canine herpes and brucellosis are different problems, though both
can be sexually transmitted. Herpes is best known for killing shortly
after birth, although it can also cause miscarriages or puppies born
dead. Brucellosis will cause failure to conceive or miscarriages in
females, and infertility in males.
And neither disease can be treated nor cured. Since both diseases are
easily transmitted from dog-to-dog by contact with the infected animal's
body fluids, it's been established that if one dog in a household is
infected, usually the rest will have been acquired the disease as well.
Oh, and did I mention that humans can also acquire brucellosis from an
infected dog?
Nice, huh? I wonder if fewer people would be so eager to see their dogs
get laid if they realized that incurable sexually transmitted diseases
are one of the risks....
Dianne

I heard about that.Not many people know about herpes or burcellosis.
Either way whether those cocker spaniels have herpes,burcellosis or
another type of disease they have to be carriers and every male they hve
sexual contact with that male has to get it too & pass t to another
female.