Dog in pain after hiking

Old April 14th 05, 07:02 PM
Plin

Default Dog in pain after hiking

I took my 3 year old lab on a 2 hour hike yesterday for the first time
and it was too much for her. The trail was a bit steep in certain parts
and the terrain has a lot of rocks and gravel.

She's been in quite a bit of discomfort since, limping and reluctant to
move. I don't think she was injured, but I'm not sure if her pads are
sore or if it's muscular soreness. I'll wait a couple more days and if
she hasn't recovered, I'll take her to the vet.

Just wondering if this kind of recovery period is typical when hiking
with dogs. Are there any pain releivers I should give her?

Old April 14th 05, 07:08 PM

In article . com,
Plin wrote:
Just wondering if this kind of recovery period is typical when hiking
with dogs.

No.

Are there any pain releivers I should give her?

Algyval is pretty amazing for this sort of thing, but I'd
definitely see a vet if she's still tender after a couple of
days.

Repealing the estate tax will cost a family earning about $70,000/year
an additional $500/year or so in additional income taxes
Old April 14th 05, 07:40 PM

On 14 Apr 2005 14:08:25 -0400, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

I'd definitely see a vet if she's still tender after a couple of
days.

i'll second that. by the time either of my dogs is showing obvious
signs of pain, they are in *agony*.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Anything can be any color at any time depending on what color
everything else is at the time.
-- Keith Crown

Old April 14th 05, 08:08 PM

shelly wrote:
i'll second that. by the time either of my dogs is showing obvious
signs of pain, they are in *agony*.

I've found that it varies a lot by dog (mine tend to be
pretty stoic but Duncan was a big weenie and Crow seems to
be, too). You have to know your dog, and with enough
experience you develop a sense of what needs immediate
attention and what are "normal" owies that will clear up
quickly and neatly without veterinary intervention.
Lameness is generally one of those things that I don't call
the vet about unless it doesn't clear up quickly (day or
two) or unless it's quite severe and remains so for more
than 4 or 5 hours.

This past winter I laid Emmett off for a week after he came
in from the yard limping. He was still a bit gimpy the next
day, but better, and by the third day he was fine (I gave
him a few more days just in case). The only non-routine
thing I've called the vet about recently was a weird lump on
Cinder's face, which (fortunately!) turned out to be an
abscess. (But wow, was that gross when it drained!)

Old April 14th 05, 08:16 PM
Donna

Is this the first time, or has this happened before after a long period of
exercise? I knew a lab that whenever he went running for an hour, or for a
long walk would start dragging his back leg and limping. If it hurt that
bad he wouldn't even get out of his bed... Turned out he had the common lab
problem with his hips...

--
Donna
www.geocities.com/raindancer411

Old April 14th 05, 08:23 PM

On 14 Apr 2005 15:08:22 -0400, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

I've found that it varies a lot by dog (mine tend to be
pretty stoic but Duncan was a big weenie and Crow seems to
be, too).

good point. i've got my stoic bully breed filter on. and, i'm a
little spooked by yesterday's, um, excitement.

You have to know your dog, and with enough
experience you develop a sense of what needs immediate
attention and what are "normal" owies that will clear up
quickly and neatly without veterinary intervention.

absolutely! but, someone coming to a newsgroup and asking *us* if
his/her dog is in enough pain to worry about doesn't make me think
s/he has developed a spidey sense regarding this particular dog.

Lameness is generally one of those things that I don't call
the vet about unless it doesn't clear up quickly (day or
two) or unless it's quite severe and remains so for more
than 4 or 5 hours.

it depends on which dog and what sort of lameness. elliott's rear
assembly is a little arthritic, so if he seems a little stiff, i give
him an aspirin and wait and see. if harriet were to come up lame, i'd
worry and would be more likely to take her to the vet.

This past winter I laid Emmett off for a week after he came
in from the yard limping. He was still a bit gimpy the next
day, but better, and by the third day he was fine (I gave
him a few more days just in case).

that's how i handle elliott's occasional lameness. there's not really
anything else *to* do about it.

The only non-routine
thing I've called the vet about recently was a weird lump on
Cinder's face, which (fortunately!) turned out to be an
abscess. (But wow, was that gross when it drained!)

eew! that doesn't sound fun.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

A new gadget that lasts only five minutes is worth more than an
immortal work that bores everyone.
-- Francis Picabia

Old April 14th 05, 08:35 PM

shelly wrote:
absolutely! but, someone coming to a newsgroup and asking *us* if
his/her dog is in enough pain to worry about doesn't make me think
s/he has developed a spidey sense regarding this particular dog.

A lot of new owners really can't tell. I don't know. The
other thing is that if you trust that your vet to be
straight with you, it's always a good idea to give them a
call, describe what's going on, and ask whether or not the
dog should be brought in. I'm very fortunate to have a vet
who'll tell me when and how to treat things myself (like
when Emmett stuck his face down a yellowjacket nest - the
vet told me not to bring him in, but just give him some
Benadryl myself).

Repealing the estate tax will cost a family earning about $70,000/year
an additional $500/year or so in additional income taxes

How do dogs exhibit pain? Charlie Cloud Dog health 13 January 7th 05 12:09 AM
Chow w/glacoma in pain and needs operation :( ChrisO Dog rescue 7 July 19th 04 05:31 AM
Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 03:38 AM
My sweetie is in pain. kimberlycards Dog health 4 November 7th 03 01:02 PM
My sweetie is in pain. kimberlycards Dog health 0 November 6th 03 09:55 PM