Dog didn't react while I was attacked by two robbers

Old April 15th 05, 03:47 PM

Default Dog didn't react while I was attacked by two robbers

Hi,

I was attacked last night at 9:30 pm by two teenagers while walking my
dog in my neighborhood. They were trying to rob me. The got off a
truck, followed me for thirty feet. I thought they were going to ask me
for direction. When I turned around, one guy hit me on my head and one
guy tried to grab things from my jacket. Except my feeling, I am not
physically seriously hurt.

I consider myself lucky in this incident. Nothing was lost. I came home
in one piece. The thing that really bothers me is while I fell down to
the ground and the two guys kept on kicking me, my dog just sat there
and watched the whole episode.

My dog is an Australian Cattle mix. She is about 48 ponds and a very
strong dog (she knocked down my backyard fence twice while chasing a
squirrel. She is like a rocket when she runs into you.). I adopted her
about three years ago from a human society (She was taken from her
previous owner by City Animal control because the owner had too many
pets.). She should be about 6 years old now. She is a high energy dog,
playful, and very affectionate to people (but not other dogs). She
barks a lot and is not afraid of getting into fights with big dogs.

I have always had dogs in my family. My experiences had been dogs were
quite protective of their family members (but again, this is when I was
in my home country, not in the state.). When I adopted my dog, I took
her to Pets Mart for training. I learned a lot on how to treat dogs
properly (For example, you should give your dog massage, so the dog is
used to be touched by people and won't try to bite when strangers
touch the dog.).

Does a dog's breed decide how the dog will react? Or the way the dog
was trained? Or in general, dogs don't really know what to do when
family members run into this situation.

Old April 15th 05, 08:35 PM

On 15 Apr 2005 07:47:16 -0700 whittled these words:
I was attacked last night at 9:30 pm by two teenagers while walking my
dog in my neighborhood. They were trying to rob me. The got off a
truck, followed me for thirty feet. I thought they were going to ask me
for direction. When I turned around, one guy hit me on my head and one
guy tried to grab things from my jacket. Except my feeling, I am not
physically seriously hurt.

Scary!

I consider myself lucky in this incident. Nothing was lost. I came home
in one piece. The thing that really bothers me is while I fell down to
the ground and the two guys kept on kicking me, my dog just sat there
and watched the whole episode.

I understand your disappointment. However please don't be upset with your
dog. With today's litiagtion and lack of tolerance for risk that is the
behavior that is selected for (by accident or otherwise). We select
heavily for dogs that will react exactly as yours did.

snip

Does a dog's breed decide how the dog will react?

Temperament is inherited so breed will influence how the dog behaves in
those situations.

Or the way the dog
was trained?

You can train to enhance what is there. However training effective
protectiveness is always a dicey matter. First is that a dog that has
been trained to be protective comes into a different legal category than
one that has not. Second is balancing that nice line between still having
a friendly stable dog and getting an appropriate level of protectiveness.
Lots of people accomlish it, but lots of people also fail. True they
usually fail because they used the wrong kind of training. But why it
happens isn't as important as that the dog often suffers because of it.

Or in general, dogs don't really know what to do when
family members run into this situation.

In general we want dogs that are safe when kids run around screaming and
chasing each other in play. In general we don't want our dogs to
interfere if we have angry words with someone. So in general we tend to
end up with dogs that don't know what to do in that situation.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old April 18th 05, 04:06 PM
Don S

On 15 Apr 2005 07:47:16 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Why risk the dog getting kicked too? Get a license, carry a gun, &
make sure the attack is totally neutralized. They are only abortion
shoulda-beens.

Glad you survived with no worse injuries.

Don S

attacked by dogs ! ARIA76 Dog behavior 8 October 2nd 04 05:34 PM
attacked by dogs ! ARIA76 Dog behavior 0 October 2nd 04 03:39 AM
attacked by dogs ! ARIA76 Dog behavior 0 October 2nd 04 03:39 AM
attacked by dogs ! ARIA76 Dog behavior 0 October 2nd 04 03:39 AM
A running dog attacked my daughter, can I fight with this dog to protect my daughter? KW Dog behavior 6 August 9th 03 08:51 PM