Mental Stimulation (Was Teenage Dog)

Old April 15th 05, 08:07 PM
Lynda

Default Mental Stimulation (Was Teenage Dog)

In follow up to my earlier "Teenage Dog" post -

Jake, my Border Collie can have as much mental stimulation as he
wants, the trouble is he does not seem to want it as he sees it as
being told what to do and that's where I am struggling. This is his
weekly routine

Monday -Friday (weekends are long walks), he gets:

AM
50 minute walk with ball or stick to play with too
30 minutes play whilst I get ready for work - hide and seek chew
stick, biscuits jammed in a toy he has to retrive and toys scattered
around to play with. Full interaction with me.

I work and come home at lunch - play tug or fetch for 20 minutes

PM
Husband home first, Jake then loves to sit on the window sill and
watch the world go by for an hour
Night time - his time - play tug, fetch, have a bone - not alone or
unattended for 4 hours, before bedtime.

The problem is he seems to hate beng asked to do anything. I would
spend hours naming and asking him to fetch his toys for him, or in the
garden with our little "agillity weaving" run - he just is not
interested, as soon as he senses he "has" to do something, he gets
quite nippy and disobedient. How can I let him know it could all be
such fun????

I really do devote every spare minute I have to making sure he is
occupied - sometimes I wonder if this is where I am going wrong and
that whilst I am consistent with him, I may also, somewhere along the
line, be spoiling him as I seem to spend my whole life just wanting to
make sure he is happy!!

Help!!

Lynda