Rottweiler: moving house - new problems

Old April 20th 05, 03:01 PM
Roxy d'Urban

Default Rottweiler: moving house - new problems

Our Rottweiler will be a year old on the 27th of this month and he has
been a very good natured, non-agro dog.

We moved house a few days ago and unfortunately the new property doesn't
have any grass areas. Everything is brick-paved. The problem I am having
is that the dog is using the driveway as his toilet instead of an out of
sight area around the back of the house.

I've tried various spray products to deter him but they don't work. Has
anyone got any ideas? I'm getting a bit desperate now!

TIA
Old April 20th 05, 03:31 PM
Janet B

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:01:35 +0200, Roxy d'Urban wrote:

The problem I am having
is that the dog is using the driveway as his toilet instead of an out of
sight area around the back of the house.

I've tried various spray products to deter him but they don't work. Has
anyone got any ideas? I'm getting a bit desperate now!

a leash.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old April 20th 05, 03:45 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:01:35 +0200 Roxy d'Urban whittled these words:
We moved house a few days ago and unfortunately the new property doesn't
have any grass areas. Everything is brick-paved. The problem I am having
is that the dog is using the driveway as his toilet instead of an out of
sight area around the back of the house.

I've tried various spray products to deter him but they don't work. Has
anyone got any ideas? I'm getting a bit desperate now!

Are you desperate enough to actually teach him what you do want? Don't
let him wander free where you don't want him to relieve himself. Take him
out to the place you do want on leash, praise for correct behavior. Be
reasonable in your expectations of your dog and he won't disappoint you.

If your dog is used to going on grass, or in a particular location
relative to the house access (regardless of if it is a new place) the
dog will be strongly conditioned to those preferences. You can accomodate
them, or you can help the dog develop news ones. Helping your dog develop
new ones requires controlling the situation. Be careful about other needs
of your dog during this process. Do not, for example, leave the dog alone
for long periods in this "out of sight" area as it will very likely be
counter-productive. Do go with your dog so you can make the experience
unstressful and rewarding.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old April 20th 05, 06:55 PM
Bonsai

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:01:35 +0200, Roxy d'Urban wrote:
Our Rottweiler will be a year old on the 27th of this month and he has
been a very good natured, non-agro dog.

We moved house a few days ago and unfortunately the new property doesn't
have any grass areas. Everything is brick-paved. The problem I am having
is that the dog is using the driveway as his toilet instead of an out of
sight area around the back of the house.

You could build a "grassbox" behind the house (e.g. by using a sandbox for
children)

I've tried various spray products to deter him but they don't work. Has
anyone got any ideas? I'm getting a bit desperate now!

Don't try marking undesired places, go and tell your dog where his/her
toilet is.

I also had to retrain my dog for a new toilet corner in a new yard when she
was one year old. That was easy, as I earlier teached her "commands" for
peeing and pooping. So I simply went outside with her and kept her in the
new toilet corner until she was empty. The reward was praise and "now run".
After 2 days thorough watching my dog without giving her a chance to go
somewhere else, it worked pretty good (she was used to go to a certain
corner in the old yard as well).

If your dog is already used to go on grass, he/she might be happy with the
pure existence of a grass corner or box ;-).

Bye
Marion