** Great Pomeranians **

Old April 22nd 05, 03:31 AM
validus

Default ** Great Pomeranians **

We've got some great Poms for you to look at.

http://www.joyspuppies.com/index.php?st=rpdbhvr

Joy

Old April 22nd 05, 03:51 AM
Tara

validus wrote:

We've got some great Poms for you to look at.

http://www.joyspuppies.com/index.php?st=rpdbhvr

From the site:

"Currently our dogs are AKC registered.
We are in the process of also registering them with CKC. This
dual-registration will only add to the credibility of our fine dogs and
puppies"

Barf.

Also from the site:

"Currently, we also have other breeds we raise and breed as well. We
have
a dachshund mix litter of puppies with our Pom breeding male, BEAR
and
our Dachshund, Dauchy."

UberBarf.

No thanks.

Tara
Old April 22nd 05, 06:30 AM

I'm sure people could use some help in identifying what a "quality"
breeding is. The first step is to do everything a knowledgable breeder
can do to reduce the risks of health problems. That means that the mere
fact the parent dogs do not have problems is not enough. A good careful
and caring breeder goes a lot further. The breeder of good quality
pomerainians is aware of the heart problems, tracheal problems and joint
problems affecting the breed.

The breeder will have a good history on the health of the dogs in the
pedigree to identify the potential for these problems. Instead of waiting
until the problems are so serious that the dog's life is affected the good
breeder does the appropriate testing to make sure the problem does not
exist, even in the earliy stages.

A person shopping for a healthy pomeranian should be able to look up the
breeder's kennel name in the OFA and CERF data bases and find the
breeder's dogs listed there. This is because the good breeder cares about
the health of the breed as much as the health of the individual dogs.
The good breeder wants to contribute to the information base that allows
breeders to make the best educated decisions in making breeding matches.

An educated puppy shopper understands that the registration of a puppy is
merely its birth certificate. It means that if the breeder is honest the
puppy is purebred, but registration is never evidence of either quality or
good health. All that is required for registration is the puppy be
purebred. It might be crippled, or it might be wonderful, both can
receive registration papers.

An educated pomeranian breeder will tell you what research they have done
to reduce the risks of patent ductus arteriousus
http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/ca...seases/PDA.htm
Obviously a breeder who has failed to get both sire and dam checked by a
cardiologist prior to breeding hasn't done the basics. Many breeders,
including some show breeders, just don't care enough to do this. You as
buyer can do better. Look for a breeder who is trying to improve breed
health.

Patellar luxation is also a common problem, one that a breeder can either
contribute to, or help reduce.
http://www.pcoc.net/luxating-patellas.htm

Here is an example of your minimum expectations for an educated, caring
Pomeranian breeder:
http://www.pcoc.net/code-of-ethics.htm

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

Great Danes? Tony V. Dog breeds 16 April 23rd 05 07:31 PM
Great Dane Lovers Society Great Dane Lovers Society Dog breeds 0 September 16th 04 03:14 AM
Another for Liisa...merle poms? Child Dog breeds 44 November 9th 03 03:15 AM
Prospective Great Dane owner with some questions Pat Dog breeds 4 November 4th 03 08:50 PM
Great Pyrenees Growth Period Rick Watson Dog breeds 12 July 6th 03 05:45 AM