My Golden started stinking overnight

Old April 22nd 05, 04:28 AM

Default My Golden started stinking overnight

I've got a happy, healthy, five-year-old Golden Retriever (Judah). He's
been on a natural diet for about 5 months now and he's doing great.
Every symptom of a poor diet that he had has disappeared since we
started feeding raw meat, bones and veggies. His skin is beautiful, his
coat is soft and shiny, and he smells absolutely "un-doggy." That is
until recently...

Within the past few days he's devoloped this odd smell. At first I
thought he had a little fecal accident on or near his tail because one
day I smelled something very much "poop-like" there. I didn't think
much of it and just bathed him. His smell went back to normal...for a
few hours. The next day the same smell returned. It's definitely not
poop (there's no visual and he's never pooped on himself before). And I
think I may have determined that the smell is eminating from his mouth
(I feel so guilty talking about him like this). I must stress that
this is not his normal "doggy" smell that he gets when overdue for a
bathing. This is definitely different.

The only thing that's changed in his life recently are the following...

1. I added a some raw soy beans to his veggie mixture (after further
research this seems like a bad idea anyway due to possible allergies).
2. I started giving him a little garlic powder mixed with his food in
an attempt to control fleas this summer
3. I also started giving him a daily dose of Dr. Goodpet's natural flea
rememdy.

Can any confirm or deny that any (or a combination) of these could have
contributed to my dog's recent stink outbreak? Has anyone had a similar
experience.

If you read all of that, I thank you.
_branden

Old April 22nd 05, 04:51 AM
Kathleen

[...]

bathing. This is definitely different.snip

He doesn't have access to a litterbox does he? Or a garden with soft
soil that might attract cats? When my dogs have had poop breathe it was
generally because they'd been eating poop.

And since it seems like you're having trouble localizing the source of
the stink I'd also wonder if maybe Judah has some sort of anal gland
problem going on. Take him to the vet and get him checked out and have
them show you how to express his anal glands.

Kathleen

Old April 22nd 05, 09:47 PM
buglady

wrote in message
ups.com...
The only thing that's changed in his life recently are the following...

1. I added a some raw soy beans to his veggie mixture (after further
research this seems like a bad idea anyway due to possible allergies).
2. I started giving him a little garlic powder mixed with his food in
an attempt to control fleas this summer
3. I also started giving him a daily dose of Dr. Goodpet's natural flea
rememdy.

..........did you add these all at once? It's never a good idea to do that.
If you're going to add anything to the diet, keep it to one thing at a time
with weeks in between adding something else. This way you can tell if a dog
has a reaction to something. Ixnay on soy, IMHO.

......but as Matt said, it's probably anal glands.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old April 24th 05, 07:22 PM
manowatt

Thank you all for your input. Admittedly, I suppose I did change too
many factors of his diet all at once. We've only had him for seven
months and everyday has been a learning experience. I'm definitely
cutting the soy going forward. I'm ashamed (or perhaps a little
pleased) to say that I've never even heard of an anal gland. That
sounds logical I guess since we still can't quite localize the smell,
and it seems to come and go. Shortly after I posted the original
message the smell had subsided, but it just returned the next day.
Well, I'm off to research the anal gland! Thanks again.

Old April 25th 05, 03:07 AM
Rocky

manowatt said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Well, I'm off to research the anal gland!

Have fun! And you won't!

Old April 25th 05, 04:05 AM
manowatt

Yeah, I've read quite a bit. I now know more than I ever cared to know
about my dog's anus, and I've spent far too many minutes staring at it.
The only thing that baffles me is that he shows none of the symptoms
which I've read about. He's not "scooting', he doesn't appear to be
constipated, and I haven't seen him lick the area or even remotely act
as though it's tender or sore.

I'll be calling our vet tomorrow, and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
_branden