Knoxville, TN - Sweet Mixed Border Collie for Adoption

Old April 23rd 05, 09:52 PM
Knoxville Steve

Default Knoxville, TN - Sweet Mixed Border Collie for Adoption

We have a very sweet female mixed Border Collie about 4 years old who
needs a good home. We rescued Lucy at about 6 months old as a stray and
have kept her since, but she jumps over the 42 inch fence at our new
home, so we cannot keep her due to leash laws. Lucy is black & white,
about 40-50 lbs, neutered and house-broken. She needs a place to run or
a fenced yard, but she likes to sleep inside or stay inside in cold/wet
weather. She might adapt to a doghouse. Lucy is good with children,
does not bark much at all and she is affectionate. Will send pictures
of Lucy upon request.

We have tried many ways over the last two months to find a good home,
but time is running out and this is our last hope. Unfortunately she
will go to the local humane shelter if not adopted.

You can contact me directly at or by calling
Steve or Michele Croslin at 865-539-0858 in Knoxville. We will gladly
deliver within a 2 hour radius of Knoxville. We request a $25 rescue
fee to ensure we are working with a legitimate person and not an
abuser.

Steve

Old April 24th 05, 04:16 AM
Rocky

Knoxville Steve said in rec.pets.dogs.rescue:

We rescued Lucy at about 6 months old as a stray and
have kept her since, but she jumps over the 42 inch fence
at our new home, so we cannot keep her due to leash laws.

That sucks. Have you tried training your dog? Have you tried
keeping your dog inside while you're away?

What is your definition of "rescue"?

Old April 24th 05, 06:01 PM
Knoxville Steve

Matt,

Are you interested. Yes, we have tried training and electric fence and
no she cannot stay inside when we are away because left alone she
sometimes gets destructive. "Rescue" means we saved her from sure death
at the pound just before she was going to be picked up. If you are
interested, please say so. If you are just asking questions, I'm not
interested.

Thanks,
Steve

Old April 24th 05, 06:06 PM
Knoxville Steve

Matt- Are you interested in our dog or just asking questions? Yes, we
have tried training, and an electric fence. No, she cannot be left
inside alone, since she will sometimes get destructive. "Rescue" means
we saved her from sure death at the local pound right before she was to
be picked up as a stray. We have done ALL we can do, and now the table
is set.

If you are interested in adopting her, please let me hear from you. If
you are just asking questions, I am not interested in answering.

Thanks,

Steve

Old April 24th 05, 08:34 PM
Wooly

On 24 Apr 2005 10:01:45 -0700, "Knoxville Steve"
spewed forth :

I picked up a dog on the highway a few weeks ago. In the short time
I've had him I've trained him out of: chewing, inappropriate
toileting, leash-tugging, digging, fence-climbing and jumping on his
new humans. No electricity involved.

Sounds to me as if you've got a bored dog that needs retraining and
redirection. How do your children behave?
Old April 25th 05, 03:55 AM
Rocky

Knoxville Steve said in rec.pets.dogs.rescue:

If you are just asking questions, I'm not
interested.

That's OK, though questions are normally a good thing. I'm glad
that you explained - your original post was kind of off putting.

Old April 25th 05, 12:54 PM
sighthounds & siberians

On 24 Apr 2005 10:06:07 -0700, "Knoxville Steve"
wrote:

Matt- Are you interested in our dog or just asking questions? Yes, we
have tried training, and an electric fence. No, she cannot be left
inside alone, since she will sometimes get destructive. "Rescue" means
we saved her from sure death at the local pound right before she was to
be picked up as a stray. We have done ALL we can do, and now the table
is set.

Sorry, but no, you haven't. There are ways to train dogs not to be
destructive, and to manage them during the training period. Ever
heard of a crate? Now the dog you "rescued" is an adolescent, and
depending on where you take her, she may end up being put down anyway.

If you are interested in adopting her, please let me hear from you. If
you are just asking questions, I am not interested in answering.

I've got news for you. You're posting to a rescue newsgroup. This
particular group is read, and posted to, primarily by people involved
in rescue and people looking to place dogs in rescue, not by people
interested in adopting a dog. If you're trying to get someone to take
your dog, people will ask questions.

Mustang Sally

Old April 27th 05, 12:48 AM
Knoxville Steve

Some of the more helpful responses I have received seeking to find a
home for a sweet dog:

"Sounds to me as if you've got a bored dog that needs retraining and
redirection. How do your children behave?" Response: Please go away. My
children are better adjusted than you are, just based on reading two
sentences from you.

"Sorry, but no, you haven't. There are ways to train dogs not to be
destructive, and to manage them during the training period."

Response: I have tried everything to control this dog from jumping the
fence. Sorry but you are not so smart- there are dogs who cannot be
taught to stay inside a short fence like mine no matter what. Lucy
needs a high fence (probably 5 feet) and/or an indoor environment.

"...depending on where you take her, she may end up being put down
anyway."
Response: Uh, based on the "help" I have received here so far, Lucy
probably WILL end up in dog heaven. I have done ALL I can do for her
and she had four good years on this earth thanks to me. At least she
had that long. There appears to be no one on this board who has any
interest at all in adopting a dog.

When I posted a message here a few days ago looking for a home for our
dog, I had high hopes, but this newgroup seems intent only on criticism
and "here's how you can train her, you dummy". If you can offer only
criticism, please keep your opinions to yourself. I am discouraged by
all the "spam" and may not even check here again. What a shame.

Old April 27th 05, 01:27 AM

Thanks so much for this VERY helpful (and most courteous) reply from
Mustang Sally to my posting of a sweet dog who needs adoption:

"I"'ve got news for you." she says in her most self-righteous voice.
"You're posting to a rescue newsgroup. This
particular group is read, and posted to, primarily by people involved
in rescue and people looking to place dogs in rescue, not by people
interested in adopting a dog."

Response: Sally, I've got news for you. Here is this newsgroup's
(From the home page). Please note the last word in the newsgroup
what I was trying to do.

Old April 27th 05, 04:38 AM
Bear

Thanks so much for this VERY helpful (and most courteous) reply from
Mustang Sally to my posting of a sweet dog who needs adoption:

"I"'ve got news for you." she says in her most self-righteous voice.
"You're posting to a rescue newsgroup. This
particular group is read, and posted to, primarily by people involved
in rescue and people looking to place dogs in rescue, not by people
interested in adopting a dog."

Response: Sally, I've got news for you. Here is this newsgroup's
(From the home page). Please note the last word in the newsgroup
what I was trying to do.

Well we get people like you all the time. You've had this dog for 3.5 years
and now
you are trying to dump it. Somehow it's our fault and the dog gets offed
because
someone doesn't take it. Sorry Steve, it's all your fault. Have you tried a
hot wire?
No one wants a 4 year old dog. They want pups. Rather than have the dog
humanely
destroyed, you probably are dumping her at some shelter that gasses or sells
to research.
Tell your kids that. "Daddy is sending your doggie to the gas chamber." I
love it when people say
that the dog is smarter than them and they can't deal with it. People have
been
offering suggestions to help you keep your dog. Obviously your mind is made
up.