won't walk on leash!

Old April 24th 05, 02:34 PM
dr_ekm

Default won't walk on leash!

Our new puppy is a 14 week old bullmastiff - he is basically a very
good puppy - perfectly crate trained, almost housebroken (one accident
yesterday), responds to "NO," no excessive barking / whining, etc. We
live in an urban area and he must go out on a leash (there is no yard).
Our biggest problem with this puppy is that he does not seem to want
to leave the apartment and will not walk on a leash. He will not walk
out the apartment door, or in the hallways or outside on the sidewalk -
he will cooperate a little better once his place to relieve himself is
in sight. He walks on the leash just about perfectly when he knows we
are heading back to the apartment. We have tried the gentle
encouragement, luring with treats, tapping the floor, lifting by the
harness and pulling along, walking ahead and telling him to come...
Nothing is working. Has anyone had a problem with this "mule"-like
behavior? The techniques in the books aren't working!!

Old April 24th 05, 02:50 PM
Michael A. Ball

On 24 Apr 2005 06:34:03 -0700, "dr_ekm" wrote:

Our new puppy is a 14 week old bullmastiff ...Our biggest problem with this puppy is that he does not seem to want
to leave the apartment and will not walk on a leash...

Ha! Even puppies know how to begin training us! Your puppy is training
you not to take him any place he doesn't want to go. :-)

I don't know any magic tricks, but if you keep pressure on the leash and
wait him out--over and over--he will begin to cooperate more. As he gets
used to sights, sounds and scents, he'll snap out of it.

Do not use his leash to jerk him around; steady pressure, exerted by
him, will help him to realize that its easy to breathe, if he goes where
you happen to be going. Make sure to give him plenty of praise for even
one or two steps in the correct direction.

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
Old April 25th 05, 03:01 AM

dr_ekm wrote:

Being a dog expert, I am sure you realize that breeds have different
inherant charaters, hence the reason for mentioning the breed of the
dog in question.

He doesn't "realize" anything.

This particular puppy, has been happy in his
appropriately sized crate, and has never cried when crated. He has
been housebroken in less than a week (a few days) which most

reasonable
dog owners would say is remarkable. The accident, BTW, was a little
pee. There a many happy urban dogs living in this city, which I am
sure you are not familiar with, since you probably live in nowhere
America collecting unemployment and writing nasty posts all day.

You are close. He lives in a nursing home.

You
obviously have nothing to offer in terms of knowledge on dog

training,
so maybe you should enroll yourself in a GED course or something to
improve your spelling, and not waste my time, and the time of people
looking for legitimate advice here. No need to reply.

He doesn't even like dogs, he just shows up here and pretends to be a
dog expert. People who are clinically insane do these things...he's
really, truly, an insane felon.

No joke. Ignore him.

Old April 26th 05, 07:17 AM

(Snip crossposting)

YourConscience wrote:
HOWEDY dr_ekm,

dr_ekm wrote:

Being a dog expert,

The Amazing Puppy Wizard got over forty years
specializing in temperament and behaivor problems
in mostly working and giant breed dogs and HIS
100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANTLY SUCCESSFUL
FREE WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Manual
Students all over the Whole Wild World REPORT
their 100% CONSISTENTLY NEARLY INSTANT SUCCESS
RIGHT HERE on The Amazing Puppy Wizard's FREE
WWW Wits' End Dog Training Method Forums.

The Puppy Wizard is also a liar and lies constantly, so, believe him if
you'd like.

It has been proven that his system is not 100% consistent - no where
NEAR 100%. It has also been proved that his magic black box Doggy Do
Right is bullcrap. There is a reason this guy is not to be trusted -
he's simply crazy. For real.

He'll just keep saying the same things over and over and over and over
until some newcomer falls for the bullshit he spews.