Chow hair or skin problems ?

Old April 25th 05, 03:56 PM
ctops

Default Chow hair or skin problems ?

Just got full blooded Chow, had what looked like a skin growth on it's
neck but when I shaved him, it came off, now the hair looks like it
trying to grow real fine there again and it's looking real nappy and
fine, question would a hair or a skin problem cause this, it's look
like a fungus is wanting to grow with the hair, and would some anti
biotic cr=E8me help and can you give dogs human antibiotics,,?
ctops

Old April 25th 05, 04:21 PM
Rocky

ctops said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Just got full blooded Chow, had what looked like a skin
growth on it's neck but when I shaved him, it came off, now
the hair looks like it trying to grow real fine there again
and it's looking real nappy and fine, question would a hair
or a skin problem cause this, it's look like a fungus is
wanting to grow with the hair, and would some anti biotic
crème help and can you give dogs human antibiotics,,?

Could it have been a very tight mat and not a growth? I'd call
his breeder for feedback on this.

Why did you shave him? Or did you shave just that one area?
I'm looking after a Chow whose coat was recently cut way back
and the incoming coat is a nightmare.

Old April 25th 05, 07:15 PM
ctops

Well it was my sons dog and he thought it was a growth of some kind, so
we shaved him , the hair in that area seems feal fine and nappy, I was
wondering if it might be some kind of skin problem , will post some
pics of the area on WED.
ctops

Old April 25th 05, 07:30 PM
Rocky

ctops said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

will post some
pics of the area on WED.

WED?

Old April 25th 05, 11:45 PM
Michael A. Ball

On 25 Apr 2005 07:56:51 -0700, "ctops" wrote:

Just got full blooded Chow, had what looked like a skin growth on it's
neck but when I shaved him, it came off, now the hair looks like it
trying to grow real fine there again and it's looking real nappy and
fine, question would a hair or a skin problem cause this, it's look
like a fungus is wanting to grow with the hair, and would some anti
biotic crème help and can you give dogs human antibiotics,,?
ctops

I'm sorry you shaved your Chow Chow. Now he will be ugly, and still hot.
Admittedly, I learned that lesson the hard way, with my first Chow Chow.

Chow Chow in our culture receive little attention and too little
exercise. Their undercoats just get deeper and deeper, as their skin
gets less and less natural oils. Heavily matted, or densely coated
areas such as under the collar, hold moisture and block out oxygen. The
skin can become infected and slough off; often taking clumps of dead
hair with it.

A healthy Chow Chow coat has two layers. The dense undercoat is
remarkably fine and soft. The outer coat has hair that is longer, less
dense, but still thick, and more coarse. The undercoat releases (blows)
in warm weather.

Treat the rough area as a skin infection, if it is red. Otherwise,
moisturize the area with food grade mineral oil (sold as a laxative) or
something suitable. Chow Chow skin often takes more moisturizing than
one can achieve through food additives such as fatty acid supplements
such as Linatone; but it is still a pretty good supplement.

Your Chow Chow will surely enjoy massages, and they're great for helping
to vitalize his skin. I strongly urge you to obtain an undercoat rake
with long, thin tines of equal length--about $6 at PetsMart. I consider
it an absolute necessity.

Please, protect your Chow Chow from heat, heart worms and fleas.

Chow Chows are fabulous! I've found out there Is life after Chow Chows,
but I hope there isn't too much of it. :-)

Whatever it takes.
Old April 26th 05, 04:26 PM
ctops

thanks I see , you said "he dense undercoat is
remarkably fine and soft. The outer coat has hair that is longer, less
dense, but still thick, and more coarse"

I understand I will take care of the problem,
ctops