Steve Crane, Gaubster: Hill's and Greyhounds?

Old April 26th 05, 01:18 AM

Default Steve Crane, Gaubster: Hill's and Greyhounds?

Does Hill's do any special research on nutrition for greyhounds since
they are so different then regular dogs? What I mean is, greyhounds
have lower normal thyroid levels, they have higher normal creatinine
levels, they have lower white blood cell counts, they have lower heart
rates. They react so differently to chemicals compared to other dogs.

Old April 26th 05, 03:31 PM

Unbelievable.

Lola is definitely your stalker...

Old April 27th 05, 09:08 PM
Steve Crane

Elig...,
There has been some work done on grays - mostly around the aspect of
the canine athlete and the caloric needs etc. I have not seen any
published data to suppor the idea that grays have different normal
creat, white blood cells, thyroid levels etc. I'm not saying it isn't
possible - but I have never seen any data.

Old April 28th 05, 12:53 AM

Steve Crane wrote:
Elig...,
There has been some work done on grays - mostly around the aspect

of
the canine athlete and the caloric needs etc. I have not seen any
published data to suppor the idea that grays have different normal
creat, white blood cells, thyroid levels etc. I'm not saying it isn't
possible - but I have never seen any data.

This is what my greyhound adoption agency reports in their literature.
Also I had to find a vet that is knowledgable about greyhounds because
they are so different than other dogs. In my experience, the first vet
I used felt that he should test my dog's thyroid because he said
hypothyroid is common in greyhounds. My dogs T4 was 0.5 and he was put
on 0.6 thyro-tabs. It turns out greyhounds naturally have thyroid
levels half what other dogs have so my dog was needlessly on thyroid
meds for a whole year! Greyhounds respond to chemicals very differently
than other dogs, for instance, normal fast acting anesthetic will kill
a greyhound. They can't use normal flee and tick preparations. There
are many reported greyhound deaths from people painting the inside of
their homes and leaving the dogs inside even after it has dried. A lot
of this has to do with greyhounds low body fat composition but as my
current vet says there are regular dogs and then there greyhounds. This
is why I was wondering if there is any research on possible different
nutritional needs. Hopefully with the growing number of greyhound
adoptions there will be more research into this.

Old April 28th 05, 01:03 AM

Excuse me? Are you knowledgable about greyhounds? Are you a greyhound
nutrition expert? Have we ever had an exchange on this NG? No? THEN
BUTT OUT! I am trying to get some information and I don't need your
approval to do it. Lola? (whoever) is not stalking me as far as I know
and I don't like accusation whatever it means. Mind your own business!

Old April 28th 05, 01:15 AM

Excuse me? Are you knowledgable about greyhounds? Are you a greyhound
nutrition expert? Have we ever had an exchange on this NG? No? THEN
BUTT OUT! I am trying to get some information and I don't need your
approval to do it. Lola? (whoever) is not stalking me as far as I

know
and I don't like accusation whatever it means. Mind your own

business!

This last post was directed at Houseboo not Steve Crane.