overweight

Old April 26th 05, 02:39 AM
dusty

Default overweight

Hello

We have an approx 5 year old beagle/shepard mix that if to be blunt
fat. We have been very careful not to feed him anything but weight
maintenance or control dog food. This has gone on for almost a year and
he does not seem to be losing any weight. Other than taking him to a
vet does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks
Dusty

Old April 26th 05, 02:44 AM
Tara

dusty wrote:

Hello

We have an approx 5 year old beagle/shepard mix that if to be blunt
fat. We have been very careful not to feed him anything but weight
maintenance or control dog food. This has gone on for almost a year and
he does not seem to be losing any weight. Other than taking him to a
vet does anyone have any suggestions.

How much exercise does he get?

Tara
Old April 26th 05, 02:48 AM
dusty

Tara

Not a lot, he get a walk maybe once or twice a week approx 1/2 mile

dusty

Old April 26th 05, 02:50 AM
dusty

Tara

Do you have a suggestion for a good weight maintenance dog food, at
this time he is getting Iams.

dusty

Old April 26th 05, 03:03 AM
Tara

dusty wrote:

Tara

Do you have a suggestion for a good weight maintenance dog food, at
this time he is getting Iams.

Honestly, if you're not addressing the lack of exercise your dog is (or
isn't) getting, the food thing isn't going to help that much.

One half mile walk *per day* wouldn't be adequate exercise for a dog of
this type of mix.

Rather than changing from one diet food to another, I'd seriously look
into gradually increasing your dog's exercise to at least a good long
walk and some offleash (or long leash) running and fetching every day.

Tara
Old April 26th 05, 03:08 AM
dusty

Tara

Thanks we will begin to increase his exercise and keep him on the 11/2
- 2 cups of maintenance food per day.

Thanks
Dusty

Old April 26th 05, 03:34 AM
ZPL

1 1/2 to 2 cups a day may be little much for him. Try mixing in some green
beans to bulk up a lesser amount, making him feel like he is getting more.

And for goodness sakes, DON'T start him out at 1/2 mile every day. Work up
to it.

If these don't help, then next vet visit get some blood drawn for a thyroid
check. A sluggish thyroid can make it so hard to pull weight off and also
adds to the dog's energy level.

oups.com...

Old April 26th 05, 04:14 AM
dusty

ZPL

Thanks for the advice, nost appreciated.

Dusty

Old April 26th 05, 12:04 PM

ZPL wrote:
And for goodness sakes, DON'T start him out at 1/2 mile every day. Work up
to it.

1/2 mile is nothing - it's 10 minutes at a very easy
schlep. I wouldn't start at less than that, actually.

The Senate has approved over 200 of George Bush's judicial nominees,
10 of the 13 federal appeals court have a majority of Republican appointees
Old April 26th 05, 01:17 PM
Robin Nuttall

dusty wrote:

Do you have a suggestion for a good weight maintenance dog food, at
this time he is getting Iams.

How *much* of the weight loss formula do you feed him? You say a 1/2
mile walk--that's not enough, he needs more. Also, please have his
thyroid checked--yes, by the vet.