Question About My Little 11 Yr Old Doxie

Old April 26th 05, 04:00 AM

Default Question About My Little 11 Yr Old Doxie

in the 1970s we had a big male Doxie. One day I came into a room where
he was and found him dragging himself with his two front legs. He
couldnt stand up and walk. My husband rushed him out to the vets. He
gave him some kind of shot and the dog was walking when he came home.

My question is this, what did the vet give him? Its been too long ago
for me to remember. If this got the dog back on his feet, why wouldnt
something like that help my little long haired Doxie?

I have posted several time in this n/g about her health problems and
ya'll have always gave good advice. She has been diagnoised with CCD and
I have started her on Anipryl. For two weeks she is suppost to have one
half of a 5mg tablet then on the 5 mg.

The trouble is 3 days after I put her on it, the pacing and constant
yowling has increased. I cant explain what this noise sounds
like...whineing, howling,yowling all rolled into one Its enough to drive
us out of our minds, and it goes on 90% of the time that she is awake.

My husband thinks she is in pain either from her crippled hind leg or
maybe IBS.I took her to the vet last week and he came outside to watch
her walk. Wouldnt you know, she was so upset at being there that she
walked better there than at home, only falling a couple of times.

=A0=A0He said the walk that I described that she use to have...a little
'hippty-hoppity, walk, where the hind legs both moved at the same
time,when she ran, was because two or more vertebras were fused
together.'
The right hind leg is getting weaker all the time, she has to be helped
to her feet a lot more often. When she sits, its on her left hip and the
right hind leg sticks out to the side.

She also has symptoms of that vestibular ear disorder. She pulls to the
right when she walks, sometimes going around and around in circles. When
we carry her outside to do her business and put her down on the ground,
she will turn to the right and sometimes fall over.
=A0=A0If you get her to going in a straight line she can walk a ways
without falling.

I have some "Calming Solution' that I give her which quites her down for
about 20 minutes, then the pacing and noise starts all over. The only
way I can get a night sleep is to give her Benadryl at night.Which I do
at least twice a week.
=A0=A0Otherwise I have to get up with her anywhere from midnight on. I
stay up with her until she wears herself out and will go back to bed and
sleep.

The vet said that he would have to do a biospy to see if she has IBS. I
cant afford a lot of expensive tests anymore than I can have the tests
that I need for myself. I have been putting my dog and the vet bills
frist.
Why couldnt we try her on a med that is given to babies for 'colic'
called 'Donnatol'(sp)?, and just see if it would help her.

Its 7:45 in my state, my dog has been at it since 5:30 when she woke up
from a nap. That is the only time when there is quite in this house,
when she is sleeping. She will keep it up till I break down and give her
the Benadryl to quite her down. If I dont give it to her she will keep
it up till shes exausted.

Nothing you can do will please her, holding her, petting her, nothing.
Except that she likes to be carried and walked but with my back I cant
do much of that.
She has started to either shiver or tremble along with a very fast heart
beat.It slows down when she is asleep and her breathing becomes normal.
She has been on Enalapril for the past few years.

She is just now getting over an infection in her right ear. Vet said it
was looking good. I give her Glusosamine in a liquid form, thinking it
might help if she has any pain in her leg. You can move the leg and she
doesnt act like its painful and doesnt show any sign of pain when she is
picked up.

I know this post is way too long and I apologize, but I need your
opinions before I see the vet again, to have the blood work done for the
kidneys.
TIA to those of you who get through this long post...Lea

Old April 27th 05, 01:47 PM
buglady

wrote in message
in the 1970s we had a big male Doxie. One day I came into a room where
he was and found him dragging himself with his two front legs. He
couldnt stand up and walk. My husband rushed him out to the vets. He
gave him some kind of shot and the dog was walking when he came home.

My question is this, what did the vet give him? Its been too long ago
for me to remember. If this got the dog back on his feet, why wouldnt
something like that help my little long haired Doxie?

.............have no idea what it was but guess it might have been a
steroid - which is an anti-inflammatory. Things aren't always that simple.
Steroids can work for an injury that's not too severe - keeps inflammation
down and the nerves don't get impinged.

She has been diagnoised with CCD and
I have started her on Anipryl. For two weeks she is suppost to have one
half of a 5mg tablet then on the 5 mg.

The trouble is 3 days after I put her on it, the pacing and constant
yowling has increased.

.........have you talked to the vet about these symptoms? Here are some side
effects for Anipryl - also note interactions with other drugs on this page:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1&SourceID=52
*There is a 5% incidence of unacceptable side effects with L-Deprenyl
treatment. These side effects include: vomiting, diarrhea, listlessness,
disorientation, diminished hearing, or restlessness.

When three times the recommended dose was used in dogs, salivation, weight
loss, panting, dehydration, pacing, and poor pupil response to light were
observed. Obviously these signs should not be observed with normal use of
the medication. *

..........Anipryl is also used for Cushings disease - to depress adrenal
gland function. I'm wondering if she has adrenal gland insufficiency if
using this drug made things worse?? Coupled with some of the other problems
this may point to an adrenal gland problem. Please ask the vet about this.

My husband thinks she is in pain either from her crippled hind leg

............what's wrong with her leg? An accident or arthritis?

or maybe IBS.

........why would you think IBS? Is she having bowel trouble or throwing up?

He said the walk that I described that she use to have...a little
'hippty-hoppity, walk, where the hind legs both moved at the same

time,when she ran, was because two or more vertebras were fused
together.'
............did he do X-rays to confirm? The bunny hop can also be from hip
dysplasia, though I would bet that dachsies are more prone to back problems.

She also has symptoms of that vestibular ear disorder. She pulls to the
right when she walks, sometimes going around and around in circles.

........poor pup sure has a lot of troubles. Have you sought out a board
especially for dachsies to see if they can offer you any help?

The vet said that he would have to do a biospy to see if she has IBS. I
cant afford a lot of expensive tests anymore than I can have the tests

that I need for myself.

........why not just treat her for it and see what happens. She doesn't
sound like a great candidate for sedation to me. Get her on a special diet
and see if it helps.

Nothing you can do will please her, holding her, petting her, nothing.

...............she sounds miserable. She may have more than one problem
going on. If you can't get to the root of it soon, it may be time to think
of letting her go. I know that's a horrible thought, but it has to be
considered for the dog's sake.

She is just now getting over an infection in her right ear.

...........she may still have problems if she's leaning to one side when she
walks.

I give her Glusosamine in a liquid form, thinking it

might help if she has any pain in her leg. You can move the leg and she
doesnt act like its painful and doesnt show any sign of pain when she is
picked up.
........it may not be her leg but the sacrum - her back.

........and yes, I'd get a full blood panel run - CBC and chemistry to see if
there's anything going on. If you're testing for kidney function, you'll
also have to take in a first pee of the morning. Only the combo of the two
can definitively diagnose kidney problems.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

question askmars Dogs - general 0 June 26th 04 06:56 AM
AskMars - Labrador Health question testn Dog behavior 0 May 17th 04 04:20 AM
shedding question badgirl Dog behavior 0 February 29th 04 07:28 PM