Friend attacked by a pit bull yesterday

Old April 26th 05, 09:37 PM

Default Friend attacked by a pit bull yesterday

I just heard a couple of hours ago that my young friend (21yo) was
attacked while walking her beloved dog yesterday by a pit bull, she
screamed and some guys luckily came over and ran the dog off. Her dog
was injured, and she was quite shaken.

I did an internet search and it shocked me how incidents of being
attacked by pit bulls are common. I count her lucky to be rescued,
thankfully, compared to many others in the news who were mauled, some
fatally. I think pit bulls owners are being awfully, awfully
irresponsible in claiming that these dogs just get a "bad rap". What
nonsense.

Pit bulls should *not* be kept in residential areas where they may be a
harm to other residents.

Old April 26th 05, 09:47 PM
Janet B

On 26 Apr 2005 13:37:45 -0700, wrote:

I just heard a couple of hours ago that my young friend (21yo) was
attacked while walking her beloved dog yesterday by a pit bull, she
screamed and some guys luckily came over and ran the dog off. Her dog
was injured, and she was quite shaken.

Dog attacks are pretty scary.

I did an internet search and it shocked me how incidents of being
attacked by pit bulls are common.

Dog bites and attacks are common. Why? Many dog owners are not
responsible and fail to train their dogs and use appropriate
confinement or control.

I count her lucky to be rescued,
thankfully, compared to many others in the news who were mauled, some
fatally. I think pit bulls owners are being awfully, awfully
irresponsible in claiming that these dogs just get a "bad rap". What
nonsense.

Not at all. Dogs at large, without training, without their owners are
the problem, not a particular breed. Dogs of any breed can bite.

Pit bulls should *not* be kept in residential areas where they may be a
harm to other residents.

Unfortunately, that would penalize the many, many lovely pitbulls with
responsible owners, and do nothing to curb the irresponsible owners of
other breeds. Bans don't stop dog attacks. A shame your internet
search wasn't more extensive and educational, instead of reading some
hysterical headlines.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old April 27th 05, 02:27 PM

Janet B wrote:
[...]

Craig Turk, of Franklin County Animal Control, said the dangers
surrounding pit bulls need to be addressed.

"Well 29 percent of dog bites out there are pit bulls -- twice as much
as the next dog, which is a mixed breed. It's a problem that needs to
be addressed," Turk said.

Turk opposes Walcher's bill.

Columbus resident Teresa Morrison said she is against the bill.

"I think (pit bulls) should remain on the list. No. 1 -- they're
dangerous," Morrison said.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4390680/detail.html

Old April 27th 05, 09:51 PM

Unfortunately, pitbulls are the breed of choice of the fools that
simply want a dog that makes them "tough" or "cool". These owners have
no intention of training these dogs and in fact some of them
diliberately make the dogs aggresive because they feel it adds to the
toughness/coolness. Pitbulls are no more dangeraous than any other
breed would be in the same situation.

Back in the 70's the breed of choice for this type of owner was the
Doberman pinscher. You used to hear all the same stories then about
Dobbies that you hear now about pits. Now, you don't hear the stories
about Dobbies. Is this because the breed changed? Of course not, there
is simply less idiot owners out there with them.

If these types of owners where drawn to another breed, then most people
wouldnt even know what a pitbull was.

Alan

Old April 28th 05, 10:31 AM
White Monkey

Most of the points I usually make in this conversation about the nature of
the breed have already been stated (it's bad owners that cause bad breed
reputations, popular dogs that get a lot of backyard breeders going can have
problems unrelated to breed itself but instead related to breeding
practices, lots of dog breeds are known for biting more than pits, etc.).

I still feel that the OP needs to hear one thing I always point out--pit
bulls have been illegal here in the Netherlands for a very long time. And
there are LOTS of them here. I see three or so every day. Most of them, I
find a way to chat with the owner (given that my dog is always going
absolutely goofy trying to play with them provides a good opening), and
mention that I know it's a pit and that they have a bad rap, so then they
open up to me about it actually being one, so I'm not just guessing here.
They're one of my Great Dane's very favorite breeds to play with because
they're fast, tough, friendly and happy dogs. Luckily they also pretty much
never bite anyone--there was one incident a couple of years ago where some
police climbed in the window of a squat and one of them was bitten, not very
badly, on the hand by a probable pit mix when he grabbed it without warning.
Lots of people get bitten by little yappy dogs here.

The ban has succeeded in doing one thing, really--preventing the owners of
these dogs to get good professional training help and proper veterinary care
for their dogs. However, lots of trainers and vets just write "English
Staffordshire" or "boxer mix" and look the other way, too.

Oh, and I'll cite a recent incident for clarification--my dog was playing
with two young pits she knows well a few weeks ago, in the nearby dog field.
I was, as always, wearing my sleeping baby on my hip, in his sling. He, as
usual, even though sleeping, managed to work one of his socks off. The
second it hit the ground, one of the pits had it. He ran all over with it
trying to get the other pit or my dog to play tug with it. The owner got it
back, and as he handed it to me, the pit leaped up and tried to grab it from
the air between us. Then as I put the sock back on the baby's foot, dangling
"temptingly" in the open air totally within reach of the dog, he hung his
head and tail, clearly said "Dang!", and went back to trying to get my dog
by the collar (a game she enjoys).
--Katrina