Dogmobile advice needed

Old April 27th 05, 04:59 AM
Child

Default Dogmobile advice needed

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message
In an exciting development, I may be trading in my beloved, but tiny, 1996
Acura Integra for something a bit larger. I hate gas guzzling, and can't
see over the dashboard of American cars, so I've narrowed down the
possibilities to:

Honda CR-V
Honda Element
Hyundai Tucson (the new mini-ute)
Subaru Outback Sport (the small one)

If anyone has any comments on the suitability of any of these vehicles
for dogmobiling, please advise. I am particularly interested in:

(1) How many crates you can fit in it, what size crates, and what
configurations (I need space for two 30-36" crates, and one tiny shoebox
sized crate for The Maggot)

(2) gas mileage (EPA advertised, better, or worse?)

(3) ride and comfort (I am used to driving a sporty hatchback)

(4) suitability for driving in and out of fields, i.e., as at sheepdog
trials (I would rather not spring for 4wd, since 99.9% of the time I
won't need it and it adds weight which subtracts gas mileage, and thus
far I have had no problems getting in and out of fields with my
front-wheel drive Integra -- but of course, the Integra only weighs about
two pounds)

Right now it seems like the Honda Element would be the most logical
choice, but it's so tall and bulky that I'm not sure. The Hyundai has
fabulous reviews and that 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty which
is hard to beat. The CR-V seems to be the closest in drive experience to
the car I have now. The Outback is probably too expensive and not large
enough, but since it rides lower and comes with AWD standard I find it
interesting.

It will be nice to have a car that I can crate dogs in, rather than having
to put up my stupid clamshell beach shade tent, and also to be able to
crate the dogs in hard crates instead of those mesh things so that I feel
like I have to check on Solo every five minutes. My Integra is not big
enough to put more than one wire crate in, and if I put a wire crate in
the trunk I really can't carry anything else. I love Estella, and if it
weren't for the dogs I'd drive Estella until she quit on me, but the dogs
and I have simply outgrown her. I will probably cry when she's gone.

I have done some research on the Element and it fits a 400 behind the back
seats, even with them in the regular down position. Put them up and you can
put two side by side. And you can HOSE OFF THE FLOOR. Handles like a
little box though, not like a sporty little car. Obviously suitable for
sheepdog trials. If we weren't expecting a human kid, and all the visitors
that come with that, I would be getting one. but there isn't enough room
for four adults and a baby seat.

My very good friend recently traded in her little subaru hatchback for a CRV
and is VERY sorry. The CRV handles like an SUV and not a sporty little car
either. She hates the handling and lack of visibility in the vehicle and
lets her husband drive it instead of taking it herself. She now drives
their other little subaru hatchback and is very happy.

Old April 27th 05, 02:33 PM
Suja

Child wrote:

If we weren't expecting a human kid, and all the visitors
that come with that, I would be getting one. but there isn't enough room
for four adults and a baby seat.

That's what I get for not paying attention.

Congratulations! What's the ETA for the baby?

Suja
Old April 27th 05, 04:13 PM
Rocky

Child said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

but there isn't enough room for four adults and a baby seat.

IFYPFY:
but there is enough room for four adults and a baby crate.

HTH.

Old April 27th 05, 06:58 PM
Child

"dogsnus" wrote in message
"Child" wrote in
:

If we weren't expecting a human
kid, and all the visitors that come with that, I would be getting one.
but there isn't enough room for four adults and a baby seat.

Um,Beth? This is the first I've heard of this but:
Congratulations!
When does the young humanoid arrive?

Yeh, I kept it rather mum until it was clear that there was going to be a
humanoid and until I was sure poor Lia was gone and didn't feel obligated to
do another nighmarish project!

Tadpole is due June 12. Not soon enough.

Old April 28th 05, 05:29 AM
Child

"Rocky" wrote in message
Child said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

but there isn't enough room for four adults and a baby seat.

IFYPFY:
but there is enough room for four adults and a baby crate.

HTH.

I wonder if that qualifies as a car seat?

Old April 28th 05, 01:29 PM

on 2005-04-27 at 20:29 wrote:

I wonder if that qualifies as a car seat?

alas, i think that's probably illegal.

congratulations on the Tadpole!

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 4/3/05)
Old April 28th 05, 04:14 PM
Rocky

Child said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

but there is enough room for four adults and a baby crate.

I wonder if that qualifies as a car seat?

The size would have to be chosen carefully to reduce baby
bounce-age, though stuffed animals as padding would help.
Unfortunately, legislators are probably not as enlightened as
dog folk.

Old April 28th 05, 04:20 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"Child" wrote in news:1170plumgtvns72
@corp.supernews.com:

I wonder if that qualifies as a car seat?

Ummm... no.

And mentioning it also has the undesired side-effect of bruising.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old April 28th 05, 05:16 PM
Victoria Neff

Rocky wrote:
Child said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

but there is enough room for four adults and a baby crate.

I wonder if that qualifies as a car seat?

The size would have to be chosen carefully to reduce baby
bounce-age, though stuffed animals as padding would help.
Unfortunately, legislators are probably not as enlightened as
dog folk.

I think you're right. I think legislators really aren't clear about the
value of a good crate.

You're expected to schlep the offspring with you at all times; you can't
even crate them up securely and take an unencumbered stroll around the
block with the dogs!

This was an aspect of parenthood I hadn't fully appreciated -- the EVERY
MINUTE-ness of it. You can't walk away for five minutes without having
first arranged for someone to watch the kid..............

Old April 28th 05, 05:33 PM
Tee

"Rocky" wrote in message
Child said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

but there is enough room for four adults and a baby crate.

I wonder if that qualifies as a car seat?

The size would have to be chosen carefully to reduce baby
bounce-age, though stuffed animals as padding would help.
Unfortunately, legislators are probably not as enlightened as
dog folk.

I'm thinking a car seat/carrier combo strapped inside a crate might pass
technical muster. But then I wouldn't recommend anyone try it. I mean
what's the point in carrying a baby for 9 horrendous months, ejecting the
way-too-big being from your body while paying the hospital thousands of
dollars to watch you do so, only to put it at risk for whiplash or shaken
death? Not to mention the possibility you'll get fined hundreds of dollars
(after you just spent thousands at the hospital) because the cop that caught
you didn't believe you were technically law-abiding. Doesn't seem like a
very good way to take care of your investment.

--
Tara