Question on diet for Dogs - (rice, hamburger etc.)

Old December 2nd 03, 04:05 AM
Suzanne

Default Question on diet for Dogs - (rice, hamburger etc.)

Hi,

I have been feeding my terrier mix who is about 12 years old a diet of
Nutro Max (his entire life).

This past weekend when we were away, he threw up a few times for no
apparent reason. My mother called the vet who told her to give him
cooked hamburger and rice. We gave our dog this dish for the next few
days. Besides thoroughly enjoying it, his stomach seemed to settle
down but I did notice that his stools were very small.

I'm wondering what the cooked rice and hamburger does for a dog's
stomach problems? My mother mentioned that the vet said something
about "binding them". What does this refer to. I was not there when my
mother made the call to the vet so I didn't get the full story.

Also, although Nutro Max, in my opinion, has very good ingredients
compared to many of the other dog foods, I'm thinking about giving my
dog homeade meals. Is cooked hamburger and rice (with added cooked
veggies) a good idea?

Thank you so much for your input,
Suzanne