Personality effect of neutering on male dogs?

Old May 10th 05, 12:15 AM
Jim

Default Personality effect of neutering on male dogs?

hi-

my wife and I are moving to a house with an enclosed 100' garden and
are considering getting a dog.

I am particularly set on getting an Akita (before anyone starts
commenting, I have done *lots* of research on the breed and am familiar
with dogs).

What I would like to know is, if we get a male Akita, what are the
likely personality changes that will occur when we neuter the dog? Will
there be aggression changes/ personality changes?

Thanks for replies

Old May 10th 05, 12:17 AM
Pete

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi-

my wife and I are moving to a house with an enclosed 100' garden and
are considering getting a dog.

I am particularly set on getting an Akita (before anyone starts
commenting, I have done *lots* of research on the breed and am familiar
with dogs).

What I would like to know is, if we get a male Akita, what are the
likely personality changes that will occur when we neuter the dog? Will
there be aggression changes/ personality changes?

Thanks for replies

We neutered our dog, and noticed nothing new about his personality. Recovery
was very quick too.
-Pete

Old May 10th 05, 02:54 AM
Christy

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am particularly set on getting an Akita (before anyone starts
commenting, I have done *lots* of research on the breed and am familiar
with dogs).

What I would like to know is, if we get a male Akita, what are the
likely personality changes that will occur when we neuter the dog? Will
there be aggression changes/ personality changes?

There really shouldn't be any changes in personality. Neutering can have an
effect on some behaviors, such as marking and dog aggression, especially if
done before those behaviors become ingrained. With an Akita, you do need to
be prepared for dog aggression and protective behaviors either way, but
neutering removes the testosterone which does contribute to those behaviors.
The personality of the dog should not be affected by neutering - how the dog
is raised and socialized, trained, and to a large extent genetics, will
shape the dog's overall personality.

Christy

Old May 10th 05, 03:01 AM
Michael A. Ball

On 9 May 2005 16:15:28 -0700, "Jim" wrote:

...What I would like to know is, if we get a male Akita, what are the
likely personality changes that will occur when we neuter the dog? Will
there be aggression changes/ personality changes?

Unless Akitas are different from other dogs, you should notice no
difference. I've had two Chow Chows and two Shelties neutered. None of
them gained weight, became lazy, cowardly or aggressive. In other words,
the only change will be their inability to make puppies. I truly wise
step.

I've only met two Akitas (for more than three minutes) and both were at
the animal shelter. It was love at first sight! The first one I met was
so affectionate. When I wasn't looking, he gently stood up and placed a
paw on top of each of my shoulders {I'm 5-5} and licked me in the face.
I eventually began to breathe again. I hugged him every chance I got,
until he was adopted.

The second Akita was black and white; and also a fabulous dog. Then one
day, I arrived to find him in serious distress. I immediately recognized
it as bloat. Because the shelter is poor, euthanasia was the only
choice. Its going to take a lot of years to forget that event. :-(

Best wishes with your future Akita. I'm excited for you!

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!