Please help me...Suzy is gone.

Old May 11th 05, 04:44 PM
Dana P

Default Please help me...Suzy is gone.

I really need some help here. Yesterday, as I was at home alone
with my 2 boys, my youngest son dropped an apple core by accident, and
my precious Suzy grabbed it before my son could pick it up, and she ran
with it, trying hard to eat it before she had to give it back or share
it with her pal Apple (my 9 mo. old pug), it got lodged in her throat.
I did everything I could to get it out, I gave her mouth to mouth, I did
everything, but I couldn't save her. She went limp in my arms. I made
it to the vet, yet it seemed like my car was standing still. They
couldn't get her little heart to start.
Please find it in your hearts to hold back on telling me how I
should have trained her not to grab food from the floor, my heart is
breaking, and I have enough guilt for the world to share right now. I
loved her so.
What I need to know is if there is any way to help little Apple.
I'm scared to death that she will greave herself to death. She has only
known life with her best buddy Suzy. They played together at every
waking minute. Not a day went by when they didn't have a tug of war
over a stuffed animal, or a wild chase through the house.
Is there anything that anyone can tell me to do to make this
easier on her. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

to my Suzy, you were the sweetest girl I ever knew. I see your face
everywhere I turn. You will be missed more than you can imagine. Rest
in peace my little love.

=BAo=BA Dana =BAo=BA
Remove NoSpam to reply

Old May 11th 05, 06:36 PM
FurPaw

Dana, I'm so sorry. You can't help but feeling really torn up.
Don't blame yourself - you did everything you could have done to try
to save Suzy.

You'll never replace Suzy, neither in your heart nor Apple's. But
you still have room for love, and perhaps bringing in another dog as
a playmate for Apple would help her out. Meanwhile, give her lots
of love and any distractions - walks, car rides, play sessions - as
she will accept.

{{{{{{Dana and Apple}}}}}}

FurPaw

--
"Here we go round the prickly pear
At five o'clock in the morning."

To reply, unleash the dog
Old May 11th 05, 09:17 PM
ceb

I'm so sorry about Suzy -- how horrible for you.

I'm sure we've all had dogs snarf things up and then run away from us with
snarfed object in mouth, so I'm sure no one could fault you for that.

My advice is to give Apple lots and lots of loves -- that will be
reassuring and healing for both of you.

--
Catherine
& Zoe & Queenie
Old May 11th 05, 11:56 PM
Alison

"Dana P" wrote in message
[...]

I'm so sorry , that is tragic. It could very easily happen to anyone.
Alison

Old May 12th 05, 01:50 AM
Dana P

i'm sorry about Suzy. freak accidents like that happen, no matter how
careful you are, so try not to feel guilty about it.
now, what to do about Apple... i know you're concerned about her, but is
she actually acting depressed?

I can't really tell, this just happened yesterday. She does look a

little lost though.

i think the best thing you can do for her is, for the time being, to
try not to vary her routine any more than absolutely necessary. don't
act anxious about her or give her any reason to think that she should be
feeling anxious. dogs take an awful lot of their cues from us, so the
less reason you give her to be upset, the less upset she'll be.

The problem here is me. I'm a huge mess, and I can bust into whaling

moans without notice. I can't seem to stop re-living the nightmare of
it over and over. Just when I think I'm doing okay, I see it happening,
and it takes my breath away. I have noticed that when I break down, she
gets up on the back of the couch where they used to nap together, and
she sleeps. I'm trying hard to pull myself together, but the flashbacks
are horrible.

by all means, play with her and give her extra attention, but don't go
overboard with it.
--

Thanks Shelly. I'm trying. I wish I had enough time in the day to

play with her as much as Suzy did.

And thanks to everyone else for their kind words.

And to the PuppyWizard, I wouldn't even wish this kind of heartache on
you! May you never have an accident like this.

=BAo=BA Dana =BAo=BA
Remove NoSpam to reply

Old May 12th 05, 02:50 AM
dejablues

"Dana P" wrote in message
I really need some help here. Yesterday, as I was at home alone
with my 2 boys, my youngest son dropped an apple core by accident, and
my precious Suzy grabbed it snip

This brought back scary memories of when our puppy Pug grabbed a Chinese
sparerib out of DH's hand , huffed it down, then choked. Luckily I was able
to pull it out of his throat , surprised my hand when down that far - he
went on to live 13 more happy years.
Even the most well-trained Pug (and with Pugs, training is somewhat
relative, as they have minds of their own, especially where food is
concerned!) will still try to scarf whatever they can, so please, please
don't beat yourself up about it.
Apple will be fine, just play with her and spend a lot of time with her.
After a while, maybe a new dog buddy will join her.

I'm very sorry about Suzy. :-(((((

Old May 12th 05, 07:36 AM
Donna

Sorry to hear of your loss... Give Apple loads of cuddles and I hope she
will help you through this heartache just as much as you are prepared to
help her

--
Donna
www.geocities.com/raindancer411

Old May 12th 05, 01:00 PM

(Dana P) wrote in news:18311-42822879-53
@storefull-3133.bay.webtv.net:

[...]

My sincerest condolences on your loss. I hope your children are dealing
well with it, too.

Think about adopting a smallish, young dog from a rescue to keep Apple
company. She will adapt to being an "only dog", but IMO dogs that are
used to having a companion dog do better with one.

flick 100785