chainlink + efence backup

Old May 15th 05, 08:42 PM
Jim

Default chainlink + efence backup

Me and my girlfriend have finally saved up enough money to fence in our
back yard. We have decided on 4 foot chainlink. Even with a 6 foot
privacy fence neighbors can look right over from their decks.

We were going to try a underground fence only but after reading up and
talking to people the risks just arent worth it. I realise some people
have had them for 15+ years but they are just a accident waiting to happen.

We have a beagle named Pokie. Very stubborn and frustrating but a
wonderful dog. I have posted several times about our troubles with her.
She is picky about where she takes a dump which takes 30+ minutes on
walks. I'm starting to think Pokie has ocd, which is something I also
suffer from.

Anyway back to the fence questions. I was thinking of running the radio
fence wire through the chainlink to prevent her from digging out. When
she was left in the care of a relative they caught her red handed trying
to get under a chainlink fence. This wasnt her real home though and she
might of been nervous.

I do not plan to leave her outside at night or when we are gone. I would
like to feel safe letting her run around during the day when I'm home.
I've heard underground fences are wonderful to keep dogs from digging
under or jumping the real fence.

Do you think the underground fence would cause the dog to be vicious? I
will monitor closely to make sure kids or other dogs are not teasing
her. She has never biten anyone but about got a hold of a guys pant leg
once. She also went nuts after the ups guy when I was walking her but
they were all in our yard and she didnt know them.

Or is there another solution for staking down the fence or something?
Also with a 4 foot fence do I have to worry about other dogs jumping it?
I've seen it happen only once in about 20 years. I've heard since dogs
are territorial generally they will stay out especially if there is a
fence.

thanks

Old May 16th 05, 01:00 AM

Jim wrote in news:yCNhe.83169$c24.60392@attbi_s72:

[...]

I would use a regular electric fence in addition to the chainlink, not a
"radio fence," if possible. I realize it might not be possible in the
city. There are pet-strength chargers available for about $40. It
comes in a kit with 10 short plastic stakes and 100' of wire. One brand
is Fi-shock or Fido-shock, something like that. You can buy insulator
clips for chainlink fence, and more wire, at a home improvement or feed
store (about $5-8 for 25).

Run one wire on the inside of the fence at 4-6 inches from the ground,
and that should deter digging out. You must keep shrubs and grass from
touching the wire, or it grounds out and doesn't shock.

I'd also think about a 6ft fence rather than 4 ft if possible. 4 ft
doesn't seem tall enough to me, even for a Beagle.

flick 100785

thanks

Old May 16th 05, 02:08 AM
quietguy

Jim, when I put up my fence for the dogs I used 8ft deer fence. 6ft high, and
the bottom 2ft turned inwards and buried about 8 inches deep.

If the dogs try to burrow under the fence, then 8 inches down they encounter
the wire barrier, and that deters them nicely. I have it up now for over 10
years and no hassles. Important for me as the dogs are by themselves when I
am away for up to a week some times, and it is nice to know they will still be
in the yard when I return.

So, if you only want your fence 4ft high, buy 6 ft wire and turn the bottom
2ft inwards and bury it. You can then relax - well as long as your dog cant
jump or climb 4 ft.

David - who wouldn't put up a 4 ft fence, as the next dog, or a visiting dog,
might be able to jump it - and suggests go 6 ft high for extra safety

Old May 16th 05, 07:09 PM
Fassen

"Jim" wrote in message
Me and my girlfriend have finally saved up enough money to fence in our
back yard. We have decided on 4 foot chainlink. Even with a 6 foot privacy
fence neighbors can look right over from their decks.

[snip]
Or is there another solution for staking down the fence or something?
Also with a 4 foot fence do I have to worry about other dogs jumping it?
I've seen it happen only once in about 20 years. I've heard since dogs are
territorial generally they will stay out especially if there is a fence.

Jim,

Have you thought about planting thorny (but non-toxic) bushes in front of
the fence? They're a good deterrent against escapist dogs. Rosehip bushes
are great, as they're decorative too. And when you dig holes to plant them,
you can also throw in some twigs and thin branches at the bottom. They'll
make it harder for the dog to dig out while the bushes grow, and they won't
get in the way of the bushes' roots.

Rox

Old May 16th 05, 11:40 PM
Janet B

On 16 May 2005 15:36:59 -0700, "randycc,nv"
wrote:

puppy wizard...you are a freak and we will soon be rid of you in this
group.

from your mouth to someone's powerful ears. The best thing to do is
KILLFILE. (not cross-posted to 5 freakin' newsgroups).

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old May 16th 05, 11:48 PM

"J1Boss" wrote in message

He was next to me and I could see his neck
muscles pulsing. He didn't even blink an eye.
Janet Boss

"sionnach" wrote in message

"J1Boss" wrote in message
I can't imagine needing anything higher
than a 5 with it, even with an insensitive
dog like a Lab.

An INSENSITIVE DOG???

I can't remember what model of Innotek I have, but
I had apointer ignore a neck-muscle-pulsing 9.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.co=ADm

"My spayed Siberian bitch marks and covers all
over the place, as did my spayed Dalmatian bitch.
The Borzoi doesn't, but she is *extremely* submissive."

Sally Hennessey

"Oops, hit "send" too fast. Of course bitches in
season are advertising, so that type of behavior
might be typical of Murphy. And some folks think
that spaying actually increases dominant/aggressive
behavior in bitches that were dominant/aggressive
beforehand, so perhaps marking behavior also
increases in those bitches."

Sally Hennessey

I didn't mean to suggest that we don't love our
poop-eaters; of course, we do. If we were on
that show (The Secret Shame...), we would be
seen frantically dodging leaping Whippets trying
to plant kisses as close as possible to our mouths.

And I will admit that the night Robin barfed up poop,
he spent the night in his crate, not in bed with us.

Just couldn't chance a recurrence.

Sally Hennessey

Sighthounds etc." wrote in message

Dalmatian that would position himself behind
the Greyhounds and catch...Being a Dal, he
was sometimes a little harder to love to begin
with.

"After Numerous Training Classes, Behavioral
Consultations, And Hundreds Of Dollars In Vet
Bills, I Killed My Dalmatian Several Years Ago
Due To Extreme Dog-Aggressiveness."

From: sionnach )
Subject: Correct use of prong collar
Date: 2001-05-05 13:03:14 PST

And Sally responded:
Who said that? I would never do or recommend
that, and neither would most of the regulars on here.
Sally Hennessey

I've posted my entire quote, since Patch failed to do so.
Take it out of context and you'd think I was flinging puppies
across the room!

here's what I said (keep in mind that we're talking about a
12 week old ~25# FCR puppy):

A small scruff shake is appropriate if he's
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^=AD=AD=AD=AD=AD=AD^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
very persistant.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Um, may I suggest a re-wording that might make
it clearer- given that "scruff shake" is too easily
misinterpreted as "pick the puppy up by the scruff
of the neck and shake the puppy in the air"?

I think I'd phrase it something like "if the puppy is very
persistant, it can be appropriate to take hold of the
loose skin at the back of the neck and give a slight
shake to the *skin*".

Janet's not talking about actually shaking
the puppy, which I think we ALL agree is
abusive."

"Marshall Dermer" wrote in message

Di,
I don't believe you mentioned a particular kind of
training. If you are interested in training retrieval
behavior than do consider our own Amy Dahl's:
The 10-Minute Retriever : How to Make a Well-
Mannered, Obedient and Enthusiastic Gun Dog
in 10 Minutes a Day by John I. Dahl, Amy Dahl

You failed to mention your pals the dahls are
proven liars and dog abusers, professor "SCRUFF SHAKE:"

"I Would Never Advise Anyone To Slap A Dog
I Do Not Believe There Is A Single Circumstance
Ever, Where Slapping A Dog Is Anything But
Destructive," "I don't see why anyone would want
to choke or beat a dog, or how any trainer could
possibly get a good working dog by making them
unhapper, fearful, cowering, etc." sez amy lying
frosty dahl.

just $17.95 at Amazon.com.
(Also, it is best to killfile posts from the few
regulars here who are either ill-tempered,
ill-mannered, or just plain ill.)
--Marshall

amy lying frosty dahl continues:

"On the other extreme, the really ard dogs
we have trained require much more frequent
and heavy application of pressure (PAIN j.h.)
to get the job done,

This is continued resistance to your increasing
authority, and the job is not done until it is overcome

Get A 30"- 40" Stick.You can have a helper wield
the stick, or do it yourself. Tougher, less tractable
dogs may require you to progress to striking them
more sharply

Try pinching the ear between the metal casing and
the collar, even the buckle on the collar. Persist!
Eventually, the dog will give in

but will squeal, thrash around, and direct their
efforts to escaping the ear pinch

You can press the dog's ear with a shotshell
instead of your thumb even get a studded collar
and pinch the ear against that

Make the dog's need to stop the pinching so
urgent that resisting your will fades in importance.

CHUCK IT Under ITS Chin With That Ever Ready
Right Hand, As it catches on, try using the stick
and no ear pinch.

When the dog is digging out to beat the stick
and seems totally reliable without any ear pinch,
you are finished

If the dog drops it, chuck it solidly under the chin,
say "No! Hold!"

(stay on the ear until it does) (perhaps because
the ear is getting tender, or the dog has decided
it isn't worth it)" lying frosty dahl.

"Chin cuff absolutely does not mean slap,"
professora gingold.

terri willis, Psychoclown wrote:
"Nope. That "beating dogs with sticks" things is
something you twisted out of context, because you
are full of bizarro manure."

lying frosty dahl sez she doesn't twist:

"None of my posts, prior to or subsequent to
Jerry Howe's attacks, encourage anyone to
twist ears, beat dogs, confront, intimidate,
frighten, or any of the crap he constantly
attributes to me," lying frosty dahl.

BWEEEEAHAHAHHAAA!!!

"Pudge Was So Soft That She Could And
Would Avoid A Simple Swat On The Rump
With A Riding Crop," lying frosty dahl,
discoverer of CANNIBALISM in Labradors.

Perhaps the mom dog didn't want her babies
HURT all their lives like HOWE HOWER dog
lovers PREFER to HURT THEIR DOGS?

"John ran out, grabbed Blackie by the collar, and
gave the dog two or three medium whacks on the
rump with a training stick while holding him partially
off the ground. John then told Blackie to sit, ran back
to the line and cast him back to the dummies."

The Puppy Wizard sez a mom dog eatin her babies
to SAVE THEM from a fate like that, is COMMENDABLE.

We're gonna teach folks THAT AIN'T NORMAL...

Sez on our FAQ'S pages at K9 Web you should
knee the dog in the chest, step on its toes, throw
him down by his ears and climb all over it like a
raped ape growling into his throat and bite IT on
his ears, or leash pop it on a pronged spiked pinch
choke collar or pop him in the snout with the heel
of your palm.

"Many People Have Problems Getting The Pinch
Right, Either They Do Not Pinch Enough, Or They
Have A Very Stoic Dog. Some Dogs Will Collapse
Into A Heap. About The Ear Pinch: You Must Keep
The Pressure Up," sindy "don't let the dog SCREAM"
mooreon, author of HOWER FAQ's pages on k9 web.

"Rocky" wrote in message

. 1.4...

Linda wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

When you compare using sound and
praise to solve a problem with using
shock collars, hanging, and punishment
how can you criticize the use of sound?

There's nothing more to be said, then.
You've made up your mind.

But you've impressed me by mentioning
that you're a professor with 30 years of
experience.

So, can you cite some examples of
people recommending "shock collars,
hanging, and punishment"?
--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.=20

BWWWAWHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Old May 16th 05, 11:58 PM
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

puppy wizard...you are a freak and we will soon be rid of you in this
group.

from your mouth to someone's powerful ears. The best thing to do is
KILLFILE. (not cross-posted to 5 freakin' newsgroups).

I was just checking some killfiled posts for fun, and noticed that
according to JeRrY, I work in a university. Heh.

Mustang Sally