Fearing the worst 15 year old wobbly back legs

Old May 21st 05, 10:51 AM
Jo

Default Fearing the worst 15 year old wobbly back legs

My dear rescue dog - wicket - has developed unsteadiness in his back legs in
the past couple of weeks (And it has been unbelievably damp and wet) At 15
( had him from approx 2 years) he still has an enthusiasm for his two daily
walks but half way through he can't seem to keep up with his legs, tends to
sway or sit if loses his balance. He is a complete mixed breed medium/small
dog, no loss of appetite or signs of pain, but then he is so laid back
nothing has ever bothered him.
After a couple of days of research I'm concerned it could be Degenerative
Myelopathy for which the future looks bleak. I realise at his age the end
isn't far away. A trip to the vets is booked just wanted a little advice if
anyone could share experiences.
Jo

Old May 21st 05, 12:00 PM
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4iteMidis

Fearing the worst 15 year old wobbly back legs

Group: rec.pets.dogs.health Date: Sat, May 21, 2005, 9:51am (EDT+4)
From: (Jo)
My dear rescue dog - wicket - has developed unsteadiness in his back
legs in the past couple of weeks (And it has been unbelievably damp and
wet) At 15 ( had him from approx 2 years) he still has an enthusiasm for
his two daily walks but half way through he can't seem to keep up with
his legs, tends to sway or sit if loses his balance. He is a complete
mixed breed medium/small dog, no loss of appetite or signs of pain, but
then he is so laid back nothing has ever bothered him.
After a couple of days of research I'm concerned it could be
Degenerative Myelopathy for which the future looks bleak. I realise at
his age the end isn't far away. A trip to the vets is booked just wanted
a little advice if anyone could share experiences.
Jo

My dog Kathrin will be eleven years old the first of July. Her mother
was a labador retriever and her father was a shep/great dane mix. She
also is having problems like your dog. The bad thing about this is that
when she has to go to the vets she quivers & hides so the vet can't
really see how bad she is because she won't cooperate. I am eventually
going to have to make the final desicission but the problem Im going to
have is not when but how. The last thing I need is to see her 98 pound
lanky body pu on the examining table where sh is so scared just to be
euthanized & see the look in her eyes telling me she's scared. & not
because she's going to be put down but because she's just scared. scared
of heights. Scared of anything because she's on that table & because of
that I'm afraid that when she gets that needle it won't just be 20
seconds with no problems. So unless I can get some tranquilizers from my
vet that will sort of put her in lala land before I bring her to my vet.
I already know how I want it done. My main concern is her not knowing
what's going on and he not being afraid of anything and not feeling
anything

Old May 21st 05, 04:55 PM
Kathleen

From: (Jo)
[...]

When it's time, ask your vet if she will make a housecall. If not, ask
for some tranquilizers that you can give to your dog before the trip to
the office. Bring her favorite blanket and sit or lay down with her on
the floor while the vet does the injection.

Kathleen

Old May 21st 05, 05:21 PM
Dee Jay

I'm sorry to hear about your beloved fur-kids' problem. As one poster
suggested, if you can't get the vet to come to your house, then perhaps
a few tranquilizers will ease her anxiety.

Also - whenever I've had to euthanize my beloved pets, the dog is never
put on the table. We are led to a quiet room with a blanket spread on
the floor. We are allowed as much time as we want before they do the
injection. Usual procedure is to give the dog a pre-shot to relax them
so that they are calm.

We cradle them in our arms and stroke them when the final injection is
given.

I also clip fur and since my dogs are tri-coloured, I clip all three
colours and then put the hairs behind glass with a framed picture of them.

I hope time will ease your grief.

DJ

Old May 21st 05, 10:34 PM
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4iteMidis

Fearing the worst 15 year old wobbly back legs

Group: rec.pets.dogs.health Date: Sat, May 21, 2005, 10:55am (EDT-1)
From: (Kathleen)
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4ite Midis wrote:
Fearing the worst 15 year old wobbly back legs
Group: rec.pets.dogs.health Date: Sat, May 21, 2005, 9:51am (EDT+4)
From:
(Jo)
[...]

I already know our vet don't make house calls not even for that reason
but I am going to ask about the tramquilizers & then I'm going to need a
ride. No way I can walk with a tranquilize dog. I have an appointment
only to have her nails clipped but I'm thinking about fixing it so the
vet sees her so he cansee how she walks. The only thing is though is she
won't do anything for the vet. She just hides in a corner & we have a
nice vet. But if our vet would be willing to go out in the back yard out
behind his building & see her walk because she will walk then-then he
can see what's going on. Kathrin has long lanky legs. Oh by the way.
Does your dog lay out a beautiful aroma of gas like my dog does?

dog urinates on everything pooteo Dog behavior 1 February 18th 05 10:57 AM
Potty Training Shichon gats Dog behavior 30 February 3rd 05 11:03 PM
Maltese Back Problems abc Dog health 8 November 19th 03 12:18 AM
Maltese Back Problems abc Dog health 0 November 17th 03 01:57 PM