Shavig Dog Coats

Old May 24th 05, 02:44 AM
Von Fourche

Default Shavig Dog Coats

I have an eleven year old Samoyed dog that has a very bad matted up
coat. I guess I should have brushed him more but I didn't .

Anyway, last year I bought an Oyster electric shaver but his coast was
so thick the shaver could not cut his coat. His coat is so matted I'm
thinking it might take sheep shears to cut shave him.

My question is: are there any secrets to shaving a matted up coat on a
dog? Would his coat to easer to shave if it was wet? Or am I going to have
to take him to a professional groomed and let them use sheep shears on him?

Thanks

Old May 24th 05, 03:25 PM
Michael A. Ball

On Tue, 24 May 2005 01:44:33 GMT, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

I have an eleven year old Samoyed dog that has a very bad matted up
coat. I guess I should have brushed him more but I didn't ...

There, now let that be a lesson to you!

Shave him only as a last resort.

I work on coats like this all of the time, as a shelter volunteer. I
don't have clippers or a place to use them. I use a mini mat breaker
(about $14.00) an undercoat rake with long thin tines of equal length
(about $6.00) and some pretty good barber scissors. I sometimes impress
my own self with what I can accomplish with just those three tools. Of
course, I'm never as rushed as a groomer.

Please, invest in an undercoat rake like the one I described. You're
always going to need it.

I really admire Samoyeds. Bring your dog by my house, and I'll
straighten out his coat for free!

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Avoiding knots in Shitz Zu coats [email protected] Dog breeds 2 December 31st 04 04:27 PM
Dog chewing coats AliceW Dog behavior 64 January 3rd 04 02:56 AM
Dog chewing coats AliceW Dog behavior 0 January 2nd 04 12:11 AM
Dog chewing coats AliceW Dog behavior 0 January 2nd 04 12:11 AM
Dog chewing coats AliceW Dog behavior 0 January 2nd 04 12:11 AM