over the counter pain relief for dog

Old May 24th 05, 08:38 PM
Tangy

Default over the counter pain relief for dog

Hello ,

I have a 12 year old Collie/Golden and he is whimpering and squeaking all
the time now. I assume he is in pain and I know he has arthritis. Are there
any over the counter pain relief medications I can give him? I am aware that
Tylenol is dangerous what about other suggestions? What dog medications
have shown noticeable results for your dogs?

Thanks

Old May 24th 05, 09:07 PM
diddy

in thread : "Tangy" t a n g
whittled the following words:

Hello ,

I have a 12 year old Collie/Golden and he is whimpering and squeaking
all the time now. I assume he is in pain and I know he has arthritis.
Are there any over the counter pain relief medications I can give him?
I am aware that Tylenol is dangerous what about other suggestions?
What dog medications have shown noticeable results for your dogs?

Thanks

There are many good pain relievers for dogs, but I think they are all
prescription. Even OTC pain relief you must be careful with, because your
dog can't tell you when it's not feeling well and they have caused
problems. Before starting any kind of pain relief, your dog needs a
complete workup to determine if there are other underlying conditions, and
then tailor a program for your dog. It might be something as OTC the
glucosamine. But I wouldn't do asprin, tylenol, Nuprin can kill, so can
Aleve. Once on a regular pain reliever, your dog will need to have regular
scheduled visits and tests to see how his body is reacting.. I had a
medication that was working beyond my wildest dreams, only to have the dog
pull blood work, and pull him off the medicine, because the medicine was
known to cause renal failure in certain sensitive dogs. Although it's rare,
and i saw only wonderful results, the blood work showed otherwise. He was
in renal failure. But changing his medications resulted in a bit less
positive results arthritis-wise, but his renal failure reversed, because he
was caught early enough. Unfortunately, what was REALLY causing his pain,
ended up being cancer that killed him.
But the above illustration is exactly why your dog needs a total work-up
and monitoring.
Glucosamine/Chondroitin has had slow but positive results over a long
period of time.
And it's OTC.
Old May 25th 05, 03:43 AM
Summer Magic Summer Magic is offline
Junior Member

Location: Northern Michigan/Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy
[...]

When my sheltie was hit by a car I wouldn't let the vet give him any perscription meds for pain because the breed is very sensitive to meds (I wasn't sure how much experience the vet had with shelties). I asked him what I could do for him at home and he recommended I give him baby aspirin.. He was given two a day one in the morning and one at supper time. They did the job for him (he had a closed head injury)
Old May 25th 05, 10:02 AM
Spot

Baby aspirin is fine for a smaller dog but for arthritis. But to really
give relief the dog needs seen by a vet for a proper diagnosis and
medication prescribed. Sometimes aspirin will work in mild cases of
arthritis but for a real quality of life often the prescription meds are the
way to go. Barney had really bad arthritis and took both Rimadyl and
Deramaxx for years without problems. Without the medications I would have
had to put him asleep long before he passed away from cancer. With the
medications he lived a very comfortable five years before passing away from
mast cell cancer at the age of 12.

Celeste

-

--
Summer Magic

Old May 25th 05, 11:30 AM
I'm bAck wIth my Fav4iteMidis

over the counter pain relief for dog

Group: rec.pets.dogs.health Date: Tue, May 24, 2005, 3:38pm From: t a n
g (Tangy)
Hello ,
I have a 12 year old Collie/Golden and he is whimpering and squeaking
all the time now. I assume he is in pain and I know he has arthritis.
Are there any over the counter pain relief medications I can give him? I
am aware that Tylenol is dangerous what about other suggestions? What
dog medications have shown noticeable results for your dogs?
Thanks

I know exactly what you're going through. Our lab mix dog Kathrin will
be 11 on July 1st & she can't even get on our bed with out hurting plus
she's a nervous wreck when she has to go to the vets so I try to
miminize that. Beside giving her Arthritis Pain Formular asprins. On the
bottle it says APF. I also was giving her some thing called Synflex. In
fact I have to get more of both. Right now she don't have any more for
pain but on the first of June I'm going to get both for her. If you're
interested in the Synflex & no I don't work there so please don't think
it's spam. Here's the url for it. Give them a call. To play it safe
because the first bottle won't last long because if I remember right
when your dog first starts off she or he starts off with more then I
believe it decreases the following month. So it's best to be prepared.
Give them a call. What you got to lose.
http://www.easysource.com/synflex/syn_pets.htm?id=

Just had to put dog to sleep - was she in pain? [email protected] Dog health 6 May 23rd 05 03:09 AM
How do dogs exhibit pain? Charlie Cloud Dog health 13 January 7th 05 12:09 AM
Chow w/glacoma in pain and needs operation :( ChrisO Dog rescue 7 July 19th 04 05:31 AM
Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 03:38 AM
My sweetie is in pain. kimberlycards Dog health 0 November 6th 03 09:55 PM