Is my dog having seizures?

Old May 25th 05, 11:53 AM
Bob P

Default Is my dog having seizures?

Hello,

On May 16th and again early this morning I heard banging on the hardwood
floors and when I followed the noise I found my 8 year old golden retriever
lying on her side with all four legs paddling the air with her mouth kind of
chomping and drooling and eyes glazed. Back in May I just thought she was
having a hard time getting up from a loose rug she was lying on as she
couldn't get her footing. I thought the drool and glazed eyes was panic on
her part.

With this morning's episode in another room of the house and the same
symptoms I now know that it wasn't a loose rug. I sent all night doing
research on the internet and it sounds like she is having seizures. I will
definitely be contacting her vet as soon as he gets in this morning.

Meanwhile, have any of you had any experience with this sort of problem?
What should I ask the vet? I read it can become quite common and goldens are
a breed susceptible to seizures.

Thanks so much. I'm very worried.

Bob.

Old May 25th 05, 12:43 PM
buglady

"Bob P" wrote in message
On May 16th and again early this morning I heard banging on the hardwood
floors and when I followed the noise I found my 8 year old golden

retriever
lying on her side with all four legs paddling the air with her mouth kind

of
chomping and drooling and eyes glazed

.......yes, sounds like seizures.

Meanwhile, have any of you had any experience with this sort of problem?
What should I ask the vet? I read it can become quite common and goldens

are
a breed susceptible to seizures.

.........while it's important to rule out physical causes, many times there's
no apparent cause for seizures. Do a search of the archives here through
Google. Matt (posting as Rocky) has lots of good info on seizures.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old May 25th 05, 05:29 PM
Rocky

Bob P said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Your dog definitely had a seizure.

Meanwhile, have any of you had any experience with this
sort of problem? What should I ask the vet? I read it can
become quite common and goldens are a breed susceptible to
seizures.

I know a few GRs with epilepsy. It's common in both pure and
mixed breeds.

At 8 years old, it's probable that her seizures are related to a
physical condition (trauma or an underlying medical issue, like
thyroid or kidney problems).

Go to my web page, specifically the links page, and scroll down
to the dog health links:
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Links/LinksMenu.html

I've listed the links in order of their relative importance to
me. The first link explains epilepsy types, symptoms, and
treatments in a very readable way. One of the top canine
epilepsy researchers (Dr William Thomas) is a contributor.

You might consider subscribing to one of the two epilepsy email
lists I've linked to. In case you prefer to contact me
privately, my personal email in this post works, though I prefer
to keep discussions public to help others.

Thanks so much. I'm very worried.

I know. Rocky's first seizure certainly scared me.

Keep in mind that epilepsy can be controlled, in the majority of
cases, by a balancing act of drugs and diet.

Old May 25th 05, 09:24 PM
Furry

Hi Bob:

What you describe is a grand mal seizure.

Seizures at an older age are generally indicative of something other
than epilepsy - whereas if a dog starts seizing before 5 years of age,
it is generally true epilepsy. My old boy started having seizures in
his 8th year (last year). We drew blood to check thyroid function, as
thyroid issues can trigger seizures. His thyroid was low and we put him
on meds. but this did not stop the seizure activity.

We then started him on phenobarb and still he had seizures. Then went to
potassium bromide (Kbr), which helps the uptake of pheno. Still he
had seizures. We then also included diazepam (valium). This poor dog
was on such a cocktail of drugs that he was a total zombie. He'd go
maybe 15 days at a stretch without a seizure, but his quality of life
was totally gone. He just wasn't the same.

We euthanized him this past Feb (shortly after his 9th birthday). Post
mortem reveal a brain tumor, which my vet suspected because he simply
wasn't responding to treatment.

There are many websites on epilepsy in canines. Just use google to
search for them.

Furry

Old May 25th 05, 09:47 PM
Bob P

Hi folks,

As an update, the vet and his technician came over to my house this
afternoon and gave my golden a thorough physical. She passed that. They drew
blood and ran it through their labs this afternoon and called me with the
results. The vet said that the results were all normal (organ function, CBC,
electrolytes, thyroid, etc. etc).

He is starting her this evening on phenobarbitol (sp) and on a low dosage to
start. It will be two pills a day, one in the morning and one at night. He
said if she still has seizures he will keep adjusting the dosage and see if
that works. He also said that it's possible that she may have another
seizure (or two) before the medication takes effect and that she may be a
bit drowsy for the first day or two after beginning the medication.

He did mention to me that high dosages of phenobarb can create other
problems and that he would advise me on these as we proceed. However this is
the course of action right now. So I will be giving her her first pill this
evening. I'm hoping this works and Furry, I can understand what you went
through with your dog as I have had to have 3 dogs "put down" all living
lived long and happy lives. And, Rocky, thanks for the link. I will
certainly be checking out the sites. Thanks also, buglady!

Bob.

My Staffordshire Pit, Puppy 3 1/2 months having seizures HELP GiGiPerez Dog breeds 1 September 7th 04 12:15 PM
My dog is having seizures and he is only a puppie. Kayla Lynn Dog health 6 August 22nd 04 02:55 AM
Seizures.. OrlandoHot Dog health 10 October 16th 03 03:38 AM
Seizures.. OrlandoHot Dog health 0 October 12th 03 08:17 PM
Seizures Help! Rocky Dog health 17 August 27th 03 04:07 AM