Freeway's First Green Ribbon

Old May 29th 05, 02:46 AM

Default Freeway's First Green Ribbon

A green ribbon is what is awarded for a qualifying or passing score in
AHBA herding events. The most begining test is the Herding Capability
Test. The dog doesn't need any formal training to participate. The
purpose of the test is to really to stimulate interst but it can also
assess, to some deggree, whether the dog has enough interest, and
willingness to work to make investing in training a realistic endeavor.

Freeway has had a handful of lessons. For the early ones his behavior was
very controlled but he showed not a lot of interest in the sheep. So we
loosened up on the control and today's assessment was "Really nice. One
sided, likes away. Will have fun!" And I had the pleasure of a bunch of
people coming up to me to tell me how great he looked.

The second leg requires SOME training, and although he is not really
ready he does have SOME training so I'll give the second leg a shot
tomorrow. That he does have some training did help on his "one
sidededness. That means he has a strong preference for one direction
(counter-clockwise). When I told the judge he had been introduced to the
commands she gave him a "Go bye" (clockwise) and Lo - he went clockwise
........ for about 3/4 of a circle.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old May 29th 05, 02:53 AM
Rocky

Diane said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Congratulations! I think that you've got a freakin' phenom with
Freeway. Your training probably doesn't hurt.

The second leg requires SOME training, and although he is
not really ready he does have SOME training so I'll give
the second leg a shot tomorrow.

That's great - go for it!

Old May 29th 05, 02:00 PM
Theresa Willis

Neato-FREEto!
Old May 29th 05, 05:06 PM
Alison

wrote in message
A green ribbon is what is awarded for a qualifying or passing score

in
AHBA herding events. The most begining test is the Herding

Capability
Test. The dog doesn't need any formal training to participate. The
purpose of the test is to really to stimulate interst but it can

also
assess, to some deggree, whether the dog has enough interest, and
willingness to work to make investing in training a realistic

endeavor.

Well done and good luck for the second leg
Alison

Old May 29th 05, 10:50 PM
bethgsd

Diane,
Yea! for you and Freeway. I wish I had more time and money to pursue
herding.

Feeling envious,

Beth

Old May 30th 05, 01:36 AM
Debbie S

Yay Freeway!!! Congratulations Diane, I'm glad you found each other.

Debbie

Looking for a buddy? Meet Sunny!
http://community.webtv.net/staffymom/Adoptme

Old May 30th 05, 03:24 AM

No second green ribbon, more training needed. But very encouraging words
from both judges. Question one had been "Does he have interest" and
Question two had been "Is he herding (instead of hunting)" And the answer
to both questions is turning out to be "Yes".

Yesterday had a funny side note. This trial was put on by a Rottweiler
club and they were offering the CGC (Canine Good Citizen) test as well.
One person with dobermans showed up for that test and much to her surprise
got "volunteered" by her friends to put the dogs in the HCT as well. One
passed (with many compliments) the other did not (with a good humoured
"not a herding doberman" as the judge's comment). She was just so
excited it made every one smile. She was encouraged on to it by the
presence of soemone there who said she had the first doberman with a
herding title.

At this trial there were about ten Rottweilers, 3 or 4 border collies, a
rough collie, a samoyed, a New Zealand Heading dog (did awasome work), a
couple kelpies and Tsuki (McNab-x) - of yah duh and Freeway (GSMD x BC).

I was interested in Freeway's herding style. I asked and others agreed
that he has a very Rottweiler attitude in his herding approach. It is
kind of hard to describe - I don't think I can, but the way he moves in
relation to the sheep, and the way he tries to control the sheep just has
that feel to it.

Tsuki had a nice take pen (removing the sheep from a small pen), but I
called the run midway. I appreciated the judge's note "Good decision, the
dog was having too much fun!" For Tsuki having a nice take pen is a very
good thing so I'll take it (ha ha).

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old May 30th 05, 02:41 PM

Theresa Willis wrote:
I wonder if getting herded by a doberman feels anything like getting
herded by Clint Eastwood ("Do you feel lucky, punk?")

Who was it who had her pit bull in a herding aptitude test?
Those were pretty amazing/entertaining photos.

I have an amazing herding Siberian - Crow is in her first
heat since moving here, and she's been herding the other
dogs into a circle (which they tolerate but don't much
appreciate) and just generally being bossy and awful.

43% of all private-sector jobs created in the US
from 2001 to April 2005 are housing-related