toilet training

Old May 29th 05, 11:46 AM
Jennifer

Default toilet training

I need help with toilet training my two dogs. We've got a one year old
labrador and a three month old kelpie. They go everywhere in the backyard.
It was ok with one dog but it's all got a bit too much with the two dogs.

We tried giving them a spot and standing with them after meal times and when
they first wake up but we seem to stand there forever and they never go.

what can we do?

Old May 29th 05, 12:41 PM
Janet B

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:46:32 +1000, "Jennifer"
wrote:

We tried giving them a spot and standing with them after meal times and when
they first wake up but we seem to stand there forever and they never go.

what can we do?

stop being picky? Use that time to scoop immediately? Make the spot
more appealing?

Elimination on command is a wonderful thing. vey upbeat, praise to
the hilt when they go as asked. I have a 12 week old puppy here who
learned to urinate on command in 3 days - it took him almost 5 to
learn how to poop on command though.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old May 29th 05, 02:47 PM

On Sun, 29 May 2005 20:46:32 +1000 Jennifer whittled these words:
I need help with toilet training my two dogs. We've got a one year old
labrador and a three month old kelpie. They go everywhere in the backyard.
It was ok with one dog but it's all got a bit too much with the two dogs.

We tried giving them a spot and standing with them after meal times and when
they first wake up but we seem to stand there forever and they never go.

If dogs are not used to relieving themselves near their human they
will usually be reluctant to do so. THis is expecially so if they were
housetrained by being yelled at etc, The dogs often learn that people do
unpleasant things when the dog relieves itself. It will take time and
patience on your part to unlearn that.

what can we do?

Be patient and consistent. Dogs are usually creatures of habit. That
means that it will take a while to modify any current pattern and create a
nwe one. You have to prevent the old behavior at the same time as you are
building the new one. That means that 100% of the time the dogs must be
supervised when outside. I'd recommend a higher level of observation in
the house too as their need to relieve themselves unobserved may be
hhigher than their need to not soil the house. TAke the dogs out
regularly on leash to an acceptable spot and wait. If five minutes goes
by unproductively go back inside, under close supervision. Activity
usually gets things going BUT if your goal is a particular spot then
be careful how you use that solution.

And remember - dogs read attitude very well. AND if you are stadning there
impatient and unhappy the dog can't read your mind and understand why.
All that will happen is the dog will get more anxious and less liekly to
"perform". So being patient means be honestly patient. And if you can't
do that look into a different solution, such as fencing off the area you
don't want the dogs in.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old May 30th 05, 02:24 AM
Luna

wrote:

We tried giving them a spot and standing with them after meal times and when
they first wake up but we seem to stand there forever and they never go.

what can we do?

stop being picky? Use that time to scoop immediately? Make the spot
more appealing?

Elimination on command is a wonderful thing. vey upbeat, praise to
the hilt when they go as asked. I have a 12 week old puppy here who
learned to urinate on command in 3 days - it took him almost 5 to
learn how to poop on command though.

I don't really get this though, I was reading the 'dog defecates during walks'
thread with some wonderment. I walk the dog and she does her thing throughout
the walk. I bring plastic bags for solid emissions.

I fly with her a lot though, in that case the eliminate on demand thing is handy
for pre-boarding but other than that...for us it's just a "go pee" thing and
then she figures it out but it can take a minute or two of sniffing for her to
get focused.

Jean

Old May 30th 05, 11:37 AM
Janet B

On Sun, 29 May 2005 21:24:57 -0400, "Luna" wrote:

I don't really get this though, I was reading the 'dog defecates during walks'
thread with some wonderment. I walk the dog and she does her thing throughout
the walk. I bring plastic bags for solid emissions.

I fly with her a lot though, in that case the eliminate on demand thing is handy
for pre-boarding but other than that...for us it's just a "go pee" thing and
then she figures it out but it can take a minute or two of sniffing for her to
get focused.

I don't allow elimination on walks, so "do your business" in the yard
first is a good thing. I also have a dog "go" before we get in the
car for a trip, are ready to go into agility class, a flyball race,
etc. Before I leave the house, before bed, whatever. Helps
housebreaking because the puppy can get praised immediately for doing
as requested, where requested.