New Senior Hunter!

Old May 29th 05, 11:28 PM
arfenarf

Default New Senior Hunter!

We did it! We did it!

Storm finished her Senior Hunter title this weekend at the scorching
hot Kamloops, BC hunt test! After missing the first attempt thanks to
handler error, Storm passed the next four tests and is now:

HR Affinity Easy Sailing SH WCX CGN.

We're taking a week off, and then going back to the training grounds
for a year of hard work before we go and try to run with the big dogs.

In other news, it looks like my long-awaited puppy will finally be on
the ground June 3 or so. His/her mum looks like a basketball right
now, so I think she's really pregnant this time.

Delighted,

Kate and Storm!

Old May 30th 05, 02:41 AM

On 29 May 2005 15:28:45 -0700 arfenarf whittled these words:
We did it! We did it!

Storm finished her Senior Hunter title this weekend at the scorching
hot Kamloops, BC hunt test! After missing the first attempt thanks to
handler error, Storm passed the next four tests and is now:

HR Affinity Easy Sailing SH WCX CGN.

I am seriously impressed. I know that took a lot of hard work and
dedicaiton. A huge congratulations to the both of you.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old May 30th 05, 04:31 AM
Susan Fraser

We did it! We did it!

Storm finished her Senior Hunter title this weekend

YAY!! Great going y'all! I DO hope that Storm has by now had the
requisite celebratory steak dinner (although roast duckling may be
substituted in this particular situation. ;- ) We're very proud of you
both. Chalk up another one for "off breed" retrievers.

Shammie and I are experiencing the opposite of "off-breed-itis" this
week-end. After years of being the only Golden entered (in field) we're
trialing for the first time in Open obedience, and it is such a funny
feeling for my little red Golden to be considered the "dominant" breed,
almost to the point of cheating - like it's too easy to do it with a
Golden. (And I have to admit that it is. Without nearly the training I
know that some of these folks do, Sham has a perfect record of 1st
places in obedience, yesterday and today included.)

We're taking a week off, and then going back to the training grounds
for a year of hard work before we go and try to run with the big dogs.

You GO girl! You can do it! Remember, some of those big dogs are just
little dogs with big egos - LOL!

In other news, it looks like my long-awaited puppy will finally be on
the ground June 3 or so.

How exciting! I forget, is this another one of those Black Goldens? g

Delighted,

So are we. Good job, well deserved recognition!

Susan Fraser,
owned and trained by The Golden Girls:
HR BeBop a Lu SheBop SH
HR Shamma Lamma Ding Dong CD (2/3CDX) MH NA NJP **
Gris-Gris Gumbo Ya Ya

Old May 30th 05, 08:09 PM
arfenarf

Thanks, Diane!

I really appreciate the congratulations.

I'm in a bit of culture shock: It's been a wild two weeks. I went
from spending a week at Disneyland with my family to four days of
training and testing in scorching hot Kamloops (where the Agility
Association of Canada's BC regionals were being held the same weekend -
I really felt for those folks. We field people were at least up where
breezes could get to us, and we threw the dogs in ponds from time to
time, but the agility folks were down in a bowl in 95+ degree heat),
back to urban Vancouver for a work-related course. I can hardly
believe I was in the desert 24 hours ago, except that I keep sneezing
dust into my Kleenex.

Kate

Old May 30th 05, 08:12 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"arfenarf" wrote in news:1117405725.454405.242070
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

We did it! We did it!

Storm finished her Senior Hunter title this weekend at the scorching
hot Kamloops, BC hunt test! After missing the first attempt thanks to
handler error, Storm passed the next four tests and is now:

HR Affinity Easy Sailing SH WCX CGN.

Congrats Kate and Storm!!!

For those of us whose knowledge of Hunt tests is limited to :See duck. Get
Duck. Give Duck...

What is involved in hetting a Senior Hunter title??

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old May 30th 05, 08:22 PM
arfenarf

Thanks, Susan!

Storm gets her celebration dinner when I see her again at home on
Tuesday night. As I mentioned in my post to Diane, I'm in Vancouver
for work, and Storm's making her way home on my mentor's truck.
There's a nice cheeseburger in her future!

I had my first experience of the hunt-test style title celebration at
the picnic Saturday night: After we got the ribbon, my (former) friend
told me she wanted a picture, and could the three of us with new titles
come over here where the light was better? No - over just a little
more. I had just started preening for the photo when the test
committee came running up from behind and dumped a 5-gallon bucket of
ice water over us! "Your dog gets wet for you, now you can get wet for
your dog," they say.

The water actually felt delicious after the heat and dust of the day.
Happily, I keep five old white shirts in my van for "stick-men," so I
happened to have something nice to change into when the sun went down
and it became cool outside.

The puppy is another FCR. Its dam is Storm's half-aunt, a fantastic
field dog. The sire is a lovely boy from the US midwest with a CH, a
UD and MH on him. He'll do :-) FCRs don't feel quite as much like an
off-breed here on the coast, but four hours of driving into the
interior of BC changed all that: Stormy was the only FCR at the trial,
and the few Goldens stood out as exceptions from the Lab norm. The
loudest applause at the picnic was for a woman who put her first JH leg
on a Standard Poodle. She's worked really hard for this and was
floating on air all night.

Congrats to you and Shammie for your placements: do they count toward
the OTCH in the US, or do only Utility placements matter?

--
Kate
and HR Storm SH WCX CGN (just had to type that again)

Old May 30th 05, 08:35 PM
arfenarf

Marcel wrote (and Google Gropus mangles quoting):

For those of us whose knowledge of Hunt tests is limited to :
See duck. Get Duck. Give Duck...
What is involved in hetting a Senior Hunter title??

("Walkup.") Walk out from small canvas duck blind with dog at heel.
Release dog to work through shrubs and grass within gunshot, locating
birds hidden in grass. Return birds to handler, sit at heel, and
deliver to hand. Go find some more, until judge is satisfied that dog
can work intelligently and under control.

("Land Double Marks") Bring dog to heel. Walk on, trying to look
casual. (Breathe.) When you hit the Magic Point in the grass, hidden
person quacks and throws dead duck into the air with giant slingshot,
shooting it with a blank as it flies. Dog sits. Another bird flies.
Dog stays sitting. Judge tells you dog may go.

Dog picks up one bird at a time, returning to hand. Dog should take a
straight line to bird, without avoiding difficult terrain or water, or
changing its mind and going to look for the other bird. If dog can't
find bird, you may use whistles and hand signals to help, but you'll
take a substantial penalty for doing so. Marks may land up to 125
yards out, but sometimes the short ones can really mess up your dog's
head.

("Land Blind") As dog returns from second bird, a gunshot goes off.
You take the bird, and turn toward a hidden bird. Send the dog toward
the bird (dog doesn't know where it is). Use whistles and hand signals
to direct dog to bird, taking as straight a line as possible.

Repeat the Double Marks and the Blind on the water, which adds
complexities to the problem: Dog should not avoid water by running
around the bank - it should swim in a straight line to the bird, and
dogs are harder to handle (direct with whistles and hands) in the
water.

If your average score on all segments is 7 out of 10, and you didn't
fail any one segment outright, collect ribbon. Repeat this process
four times if you have a JH title, five if you don't. Achieve title,
get wet, glow for a week or two.

--
Kate
and Storm the FCR

Old May 30th 05, 08:38 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"arfenarf" wrote in news:1117481743.376682.234930
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

snip description

Achieve title,
get wet, glow for a week or two.

Thanks!!

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old June 1st 05, 03:03 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"arfenarf" wrote in message
oups.com...
We did it! We did it!

Storm finished her Senior Hunter title this weekend at the scorching
hot Kamloops, BC hunt test! After missing the first attempt thanks to
handler error, Storm passed the next four tests and is now:

HR Affinity Easy Sailing SH WCX CGN.

(been away from rpd.beh for a bit, but...)

AWESOME news, Kate & Storm!!
Way to go, way to go girls!!

In other news, it looks like my long-awaited puppy will finally be on
the ground June 3 or so. His/her mum looks like a basketball right
now, so I think she's really pregnant this time.

Well, Bodhi & I have had some ups & downs...arthritic elbows have curtailed
our Agility hopes. We're entered in a few tunnelers classes coming
up, but other than that we're sidelining it for right now. Disappointed,
yes,
derailed, hopefully not. Plans are to get back into herding & tracking.

And puppy...breeding has taken place, bitch went home mid-last week. So...
with any luck, there will be a puppy for me by mid-late September.
(It was sort of sudden and sooner than I'd planned, but from a breeding that
didn't really know about until going to the Nationals & talking w/ the bitch
& stud's
owners...gut says "Go For It"...)
Shelly & The Boys (and maybe a girl later this year? Who knows!)

Old June 1st 05, 03:21 PM
KWBrown

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in
:

"arfenarf" wrote in message
oups.com...
We did it! We did it!

Storm finished her Senior Hunter title this weekend at the scorching
hot Kamloops, BC hunt test! After missing the first attempt thanks
to handler error, Storm passed the next four tests and is now:

HR Affinity Easy Sailing SH WCX CGN.

(been away from rpd.beh for a bit, but...)

AWESOME news, Kate & Storm!!
Way to go, way to go girls!!

Thank you very much. We're delighted.

Well, Bodhi & I have had some ups & downs...arthritic elbows have
curtailed our Agility hopes.

Oh, rats. Is the arthritis showing up in daily living, or only after
he's been working? Bodhi isn't any older than Storm, is he? Is it a
conformation issue? Poor guy... but any excuse to get back to sheepies
will, I'm sure, be welcome to him.

And puppy...breeding has taken place, bitch went home mid-last week.
So... with any luck, there will be a puppy for me by mid-late
September.

That sounds like lots of fun. Rip should pop some time between tomorrow
and Saturday: The last x-ray counted at least nine skulls, the vet
thinks there could be eleven pups in there - so I should have a
wonderful variety to choose from! It will be fun to compare photos of
my pointy-nosed, fuzzy, black puppy with yours...

--
Kate
and Storm the FCR