Hip surgery info needed

Old May 31st 05, 12:38 AM
papacliff

Default Hip surgery info needed

I have a healthy, active, happy six year old lab with end stage
osteo-arthritis in both hips due to hip dysplasia. He will be having
surgery, no matter how many people tell me I'm nuts to spend so much
on a dog.

Here's my dilemma. There are two operations he could get, a total hip
replacement (THR), or a femoral head osteotomy (FHO).

The THR is about twice the cost of the FHO. Also, the recovery
period for the THR is more difficult. I would prefer to do an FHO on
both sides, but the Dr. says that for a dog of this size (75 lbs.)
there are possible long term stability issues. He didn't say that he
wouldn't do it, only that he doesn't recommend it.

Do any of you folks have any experience with bilateral FHO surgery,
and it's long term issues? If necessary I can scrape together the
cash for one THR and one FHO, but I'd rather do two FHO's.

Thanks in advance for your help, I hope I can learn what I need to
know, even if it's not what I want to hear.

Cliff