separation anxiety in beagle

Old June 1st 05, 01:32 AM
oregonchick

Default separation anxiety in beagle

We adopted a beagle when he was 6 weeks old. He spends 24 hrs a day, 7 days
a week with people. I take him to work with me, and he is around lots of
people, so he is very social. He hasn't had to be alone more than a couple
hours at a time.

When we do leave him though, it's a problem. We usually put his crate in
the garden shed (relatively small) because it is warm and dry, and leave his
crate open. In the span of an hour, he will poop several times, and it is
almost always runny. I'm assuming his emotions cause him to have diarrhea.
We can't leave him loose in the house because of this. Not only does he
have all this runny poop, but then he runs in circles through it, and tracks
it everywhere.

He sleeps on our bed, because we tried to crate him from the beginning, and
after 7 or 8 sleepless nights, we gave up. I feel like a failure, but it's
just easier to have him sleep on the bed. He just never stops howling, even
after several hours.

How do we conquer the seperation anxiety? Should we just lock him up in the
crate for a short time, and gradually increase it? I'm not sure what to
do - I don't want the dog to run my life...

Old June 1st 05, 03:40 AM
Rocky

oregonchick said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

How do we conquer the seperation anxiety? Should we just
lock him up in the crate for a short time, and gradually
increase it?

You're on the right track, though the crate has probably become
a bad place by now.

Before I write yet another long "crate post" that gets no
response, answer me one thing: What was the thinking behind
leaving him in the garden shed and not in the home he's become
comfortable with?

Old June 1st 05, 02:34 PM
oregonchick

"Rocky" wrote in message
oregonchick said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

How do we conquer the seperation anxiety? Should we just
lock him up in the crate for a short time, and gradually
increase it?

You're on the right track, though the crate has probably become
a bad place by now.

Before I write yet another long "crate post" that gets no
response, answer me one thing: What was the thinking behind
leaving him in the garden shed and not in the home he's become
comfortable with?

We started him in the home, in the crate. We found that he would go pee and
poop in there despite everyone telling us dogs won't do that where they
sleep. So we put him in the bathroom and left the crate open, and put down
pee pads, which worked only sometimes. He made such a mess in there he's
been moved to the garden shed.

Old June 1st 05, 07:28 PM
Rocky

oregonchick said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

We started him in the home, in the crate. We found that he
would go pee and poop in there despite everyone telling us
dogs won't do that where they sleep. So we put him in the
bathroom and left the crate open, and put down pee pads,
which worked only sometimes. He made such a mess in there
he's been moved to the garden shed.

Medical and anxiety problems aside, dog typically won't poo and
pee in a crate of the right size. A few things: make sure the
crate is just large enough to stand, turn, and lie down in; no
padding, just the plastic crate; and, especially in the
beginning, no longer than a few minutes, building gradually up
to a few hours, in the crate.

Feed him in the crate if it makes him more comfortable. Your
first stop when taking him out is the yard - lots of praise and
treats when (if) he poops or pees outside. Otherwise, back to
the crate for 10 minutes, then back outside. Rinse and repeat
and have patience.

One of your main problems is that he hasn't been left alone
much, so start with his crate training while you're at home and
in the same room. Graduate to leaving the room for a few
minutes and then long enough to cook dinner and then long enough
to make a quick trip to the store. If he's making a scene while
in the crate, ignore him until he settles (even for a five
count) and then take him out. The process may take a couple of
months, but if you want reliability there aren't many short
cuts.

I think that there are a number of issues. First, the Beagle
aspect - Beagles have been reported as difficult to housetrain,
though your Beagle's issues seem to be exacerbated by anxiety.
Moving him to the shed won't improve his confidence. I'd
concentrate on making him more comfortable in his crate. If you
only have to leave him for a few hours, give him some good
exercise and poop time, and forget the wandering room outside of
his crate.

He was probably too young to be taken from his siblings and
mother and needs some help with self-confidence.

Old June 1st 05, 09:27 PM
oregonchick

"Rocky" wrote in message
[...]

I think you are right. I will start small, and we'll just work at it
consistantly.